Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy getting 2nd interview with Saints..

Big Turk

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

True. However, there are 3 other main talking points people like to use when talking about why he's not been hired. Zero of them have a lick of credibility IMO.

1. He doesn't call his own plays.

There are a good number of head coaches that have never called plays. There are a good number of coaches that have called plays and turn duties over to their Coordinator and don't call plays anyway. See; McDermott, Sean.

2. He doesn't interview well/speak well/is unprepared.

I've provided links in this post that refute that.

3. Kansas City plays too late in the season for him to be considered. The Super Bowl runs hurt him.

Oddly enough in this very cycle the Vikings are waiting for Kevin O'Connell. A 36 year old that has only been a coach for 5 seasons, never called his own plays. 

What's even more confusing is that most of the people (not saying you in particular) have never seen the man work. They have no clue what he does. They have never heard his voice. Obviously have never sat in on interviews, film studies or know anything about him other than what it says in his Wikipedia page and the talking points that others have stated over and over.

Again, it's the sum total of the above.  Any singular issue is probably not enough.

And true, none of us have been the man work.  What we've learned though is that teams talk to former/current coaches and get their opinions.  It's possible he didn't get glowing reviews in private.  I don't know.

Again I have no idea how you fix the issue.  I still think that giving teams a draft pick (2nd rounder, need to keep coach for 3 years) is the best possible solution.  I think that the Rooney Rule helps get more interviews, albeit a lot of them are sham, so getting rid of it isn't a solution.  And mandatory hiring is a problem.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:15 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

And why do you believe that? Because other people say that? Because someone sent a Tweet on Twitter? And do you really believe after all the interviews he's done he's not improved?

Without looking too hard (front page of 1 google search) I found an article that seems to disagree. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-strong-interview-falcons-in-the-mix-next-head-coach

"Bieniemy, who is considered one of the top head-coaching candidates and who has interviewed for multiple head-coaching openings, "prepared, knew everything about the team, had a great plan and is a bona fide candidate," the source said."

That sounds very different than the picture you paint.

Attached is an article that includes a 2 minute impromptu interview at a highly emotional moment. (Right after Chiefs won Super Bowl). Gave thoughtful, meaningful and insightful answers. Well composed and easily coveys his message. You know, just in case you've never actually heard the mans voice.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/chiefs-eric-bieniemy-interview-video-head-coach-jeff-allen-super-bowl

The issue with his interviewing is not that he is bad per se. It is that he is no BS. Not all franchises want that. He is well prepared knows everything about the team's roster and doesn't sugar coat it. In places where you have owners and GMs on interview panels who have been involved in building those rosters that doesn't go down too well. I think I said it to you in another thread but it was the same reason it took Bruce Arians so long to get a job (and had Pagano never got sick I still doubt Arians every becomes a Head Coach). 

Everyone and their mother knows that Andy Reid designed and calls the plays in that offense. KC will not miss a beat if Bienenmy is gone. Plus KC will get two 3rd rd picks. We got nothing for losing Daboll who I think is 3% African American but KC will get two 3rd rd picks for Bienemy. I can’t tell you how much that I hate these rules.

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The issue with his interviewing is not that he is bad per se. It is that he is no BS. Not all franchises want that. He is well prepared knows everything about the team's roster and doesn't sugar coat it. In places where you have owners and GMs on interview panels who have been involved in building those rosters that doesn't go down too well. I think I said it to you in another thread but it was the same reason it took Bruce Arians so long to get a job (and had Pagano never got sick I still doubt Arians every becomes a Head Coach). 

That is a great point. Sometimes GMs don't want to hear about how bad their teams are. Point of pride, I suppose.

I would think, however, a new GM fresh into the role would value his candor and knowledge. Be something that may move him up the list a bit. Case by case basis, for sure.

I'm actually intrested now to see how often he has interviewed someplace with an established GM as opposed to someone new looking to retool. Looks like if I get time today I know the wormhole I'll be delving into.

18 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Everyone and their mother knows that Andy Reid designed and calls the plays in that offense. KC will not miss a beat if Bienenmy is gone. Plus KC will get two 3rd rd picks. We got nothing for losing Daboll who I think is 3% African American but KC will get two 3rd rd picks for Bienemy. I can’t tell you how much that I hate these rules.

Based off statements like this I have to believe many hate the rules because they don't comprehend why they are in place and what the team losing the coach is being rewarded for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.