Positive yet realistic thread.

RyanC883

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If they are in rebuild mode, why would you put yourself in the hole an additional $72 million???  Do you think rebuild means putting putting yourself in salary cap hell??

could we take some of the salary, i have no idea.  

31 minutes ago, Success said:

Kelly didn't get to the SB until he was almost 31.

Peyton Manning lost 6 times in the playoffs before he broke through.

We're taking some lumps. Some BIG lumps.  But unless they ruin you, they only make you stronger.  I have faith in Beane - I think he'll approach this offseason w/ a desperation that we haven't seen yet.  

with the Broncos, Manning lost 3 -4 times, before that next ring.  Elway was 37/38.

This is the beating iron takes before it becomes steel.. 

Edited by B-Large

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Irrelevant we lost in horrific coaching decision… that is all!!!!

Which decision are you talking of: getting the ball at the 40 a swing pass 2 runs and a punt, the 17 play drive with seven minutes left at the beginning of the drive(not working the clock) , squib kick, not pressing tyreek and allowing an easy 15 yards, or something else.

I truly believe we are on the edge of a prolonged run as a dominating NFL power with multiple Super Bowl wins over the next 5 - 6 years.  And the fact that I got gut punched tonight doesn't change that reality.

*  We have the QB. Going into this season we needed Allen to do two things to remove any doubt: have another great season and step it up in the playoffs.  He did BOTH.  IMO he's the best QB in the NFL. We have our guy.

*  I also believe we have our coach & GM.  Sure Frazier needs to move on to a new head coaching job and McD still has stuff to work on but when you think of the coaching carousal we were on for 20 years before McD, what he's accomplished with the Bills has been nothing short of outstanding.  I am confident that McD will learn from his mistakes and continue to improve in his situational coaching.

*  We have a lot of key young players who are still on the ascending part of their career.  These include: Brown, Knox, Allen, Singleterry, Davis, Edmunds, Oliver, Groot, Boogy, Harrison, Espinessa and others.  We also have a fair number of players at their prime who will be very good for the next few years.

*  I don't think we'll need a big influx of talent to get to the next level. We are at the point where tweaking the roster could play huge benefits.  

Beane whiffed on not signing Hutchinson that Cincy signed.

He's been a beast all year 

He would have gotten home multiple times tonight .

Hughes/Addison are done.  Average at best. We need a consistent pass rush but we got pressure all year and were the #1 pass D. This was our year n we blew it😥

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I truly believe we are on the edge of a prolonged run as a dominating NFL power with multiple Super Bowl wins over the next 5 - 6 years.  And the fact that I got gut punched tonight doesn't change that reality.

*  We have the QB. Going into this season we needed Allen to do two things to remove any doubt: have another great season and step it up in the playoffs.  He did BOTH.  IMO he's the best QB in the NFL. We have our guy.

*  I also believe we have our coach & GM.  Sure Frazier needs to move on to a new head coaching job and McD still has stuff to work on but when you think of the coaching carousal we were on for 20 years before McD, what he's accomplished with the Bills has been nothing short of outstanding.  I am confident that McD will learn from his mistakes and continue to improve in his situational coaching.

*  We have a lot of key young players who are still on the ascending part of their career.  These include: Brown, Knox, Allen, Singleterry, Davis, Edmunds, Oliver, Groot, Boogy, Harrison, Espinessa and others.  We also have a fair number of players at their prime who will be very good for the next few years.

*  I don't think we'll need a big influx of talent to get to the next level. We are at the point where tweaking the roster could play huge benefits.  

I wish I could believe you. It just feels like we’ll always be the bridesmaids (at best) and never the bride.

Oh and I forgot one more:

*  People are bemoaning the fact that we can't get by KC.  But again look at the progress we made from last year to this year.  Last season we went 0 - 2 against the Chiefs and were beaten easily 26 - 17 & 38 - 24 (games were not as close as the scores).  This year we won the first game 38 - 20 and went down in OT 42 - 36 with BOTH games being played in KC.  Seems like we've narrowed the gap to almost nothing.

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I wish I could believe you. It just feels like we’ll always be the bridesmaids (at best) and never the bride.

I don't think there is anything I noted that isn't true or probable going into the future.  The most important piece to have in the current NFL is an elite QB and we have that.  I truly trust that they will figure out how to make it work.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Which decision are you talking of: getting the ball at the 40 a swing pass 2 runs and a punt, the 17 play drive with seven minutes left at the beginning of the drive(not working the clock) , squib kick, not pressing tyreek and allowing an easy 15 yards, or something else.

Sqib wins game all the rest are a fun discussion… how does this staff kick out of EZ and not run clock.. while our D was dreadful 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't think there is anything I noted that isn't true or probable going into the future.  The most important piece to have in the current NFL is an elite QB and we have that.  I truly trust that they will figure out how to make it work.

It’s more, no matter what we do, no matter who we have, we always find a way to lose.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Oh and I forgot one more:

*  People are bemoaning the fact that we can't get by KC.  But again look at the progress we made from last year to this year.  Last season we went 0 - 2 against the Chiefs and were beaten easily 26 - 17 & 38 - 24 (games were not as close as the scores).  This year we won the first game 38 - 20 and went down in OT 42 - 36 with BOTH games being played in KC.  Seems like we've narrowed the gap to almost nothing.

this is a good point, but we still lost.  I feel like the teams that lost to the Bills in the AFC in the 90s.  I hope your right, then other teams have narrowed it also though (LA, Cincy, PGH actually if Rodgers is there).  

Also, I think Cincy upsets KC.   

You pulling for Cincy now?  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

clearly not as much as you.  I know you have it for cutting some guys, I thought it could be traded, guess not? 

If the Steelers trade Watt, it will be a $72 million dollar dead cap hit and set their franchise back for years.

Have you ever heard of a player signing a record breaking deal to only get traded 5 months later?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If the Steelers trade Watt, it will be a $72 million dollar dead cap hit and set their franchise back for years.

Have you ever heard of a player signing a record breaking deal to only get traded 5 months later?

no, but this is a unique situation.  The Steelers have no QB.  Unless they get Rodgers somehow.  Crazy you can't trade the dead cap.  I always thought it was a "punishment" for signing a guy and then being like, oops, and cutting him.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

this is a good point, but we still lost.  I feel like the teams that lost to the Bills in the AFC in the 90s.  I hope your right, then other teams have narrowed it also though (LA, Cincy, PGH actually if Rodgers is there).  

Also, I think Cincy upsets KC.   

You pulling for Cincy now?  

Again I'm seeing this as the current teams version of 1989 before the SB run. We are going from a dysfunctional mess of a franchise that went 18 years without making the playoffs and changed coaches like people change underwear to a team that makes the playoffs every year and is a legit Super Bowl contender.  That process generally takes a couple of years.  We are at the end of phase one and are about to take off.

The Chiefs were lucky that they got their elite QB at a time when their franchise was already a playoff team and their head coach was at the top of his game. We should not compare ourselves to KC.  It's apples & oranges.  McD & Bean did a total tear down and rebuild in 2017/2018. The fact is that these past 2 seasons we've been on the cusp of going to the Super Bowl.  Taking a long term perspective, losing to the current top dog in the AFC in OT in their stadium is a sign of the progress we've made.

In fact I suspect that because it's taking us a couple of years to break completely through we will be at the top longer then the one year wonders that grab the prize then fade away.  The Bills are building something that lasts.

And yes I'm pulling for Cincy now - WHO DEY!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.