Positive yet realistic thread.

RyanC883

Just now, RyanC883 said:

no, but this is a unique situation.  The Steelers have no QB.  Unless they get Rodgers somehow.  Crazy you can't trade the dead cap.  I always thought it was a "punishment" for signing a guy and then being like, oops, and cutting him.  

This is not a unique situation at all or in any way.

Its crazy?  So you’re saying a team like the Bills, trade for Watt, inherit his mega deal and then tell the Steelers we will inherit several 10’s of millions of their dead cap?  That would take up like 45% of our cap space.

30 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, they lack speed on defense.  My fellow old timers should remember the Redskins Darrell Green.  He ran like a 4.2 40.  
Even if he was on the other side of the field, he’d run down ball carriers and prevent TDs.  Sure, Tyreke Hill is unique but we had several big plays against this defense where other ball carriers outran our defenders to the end zone.  I love our safeties but they aren’t fast enough (Hyde’s INT last week an exception).  

Poyer looked ridiculously slow tonite.  It maybe time for Johnson and Hamlin to play some.  We get nothing from Edmunds week after week.  He is not a game changer or even a good player.  He looked absolutely lost in coverage all nite.  The defense needs upgrades at several positions.  

I thought our playcalling on offense was conservative a lot of the game.  Screen passes to Gilliam!??  Need to get the ball up the field.  Josh is not a dink and dunker.  Dude has a cannon.  The man is an amazing player.  Our defense was not good when we needed it to be.  But w better coaching we win this game fairly easily.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is not a unique situation at all or in any way.

Its crazy?  So you’re saying a team like the Bills, trade for Watt, inherit his mega deal and then tell the Steelers we will inherit several 10’s of millions of their dead cap?  That would take up like 45% of our cap space.

no, crazy rule, you should be able to trade the entire cap of a guy.  dead, alive, zombie, whatever.  

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wow.  You would inherit $72 million dead cap for one player.  Wow.  

yeah, he's that good.  total game changer on D.  With him on one edge, Oliver in the middle, that will wreck havoc on a QB.  Then draft well (big assumption perhaps) at 1T and LB and we are looking dominant.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/will-steelers-tj-watt-be-nfl-mvp-2021

feel gross posting from steelers fan board, but here it is.  Listen to Ben talk about him.  Game changer on D, we win a few SBs.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

A positive: 

I believe Buffalo drafts first, before any of the other 3 teams who lost in the divisionals (Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Green Bay), at 25.

can we trade it for an impact player!  Bean will be like, oh, another DE i can reach for.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, chongli said:

A positive: 

I believe Buffalo drafts first, before any of the other 3 teams who lost in the divisionals (Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Green Bay), at 25.

that, or we get a stud OC who replaces Daboll and demands a RB, WR, or OG.  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Ok, offseason time.  Not going to talk about one game.  Here is what I have seen this year: 

1.  We have a STUD QB.  Allen backed up one great year with another.  He balled out at the biggest times in the playoffs.  

2.  We severely lack on OL, DL, and RB.  Motor is great, but we run Josh too much for a reason.  We need a true no. 1 back like Mixon, or at least someone who can rotate with motor (similar to what KC does)  

3.  our recent draft picks have not been BPA, but reaching for DL to stop KC.  Oops, didn't work.  

4.  We have added some impactful FA's (notably Diggs, Sanders, Beasley).  

So, what should we do.  I think we trade 1st picks for impactful players on rebuilding teams.  My dream (unlikely) is to get Watt from the Steelers with 3 first round picks.  More realistic is to get perhaps a vet OL or DL, or LB in FA.  I don't think we can keep Edmunds, someone will overpay for his "potential."  (can we still trade him?)

We have the hard part (elite QB).  How do we solve the rest (notably, OL, RB, and front 7).  ?

Unless there is a massive hole motor cannot make yards with a burst into the line.  I think our line needs another starter and maybe another pure speed WR.  On defence they need a pass rusher and DB'S

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, he's that good.  total game changer on D.  With him on one edge, Oliver in the middle, that will wreck havoc on a QB.  Then draft well (big assumption perhaps) at 1T and LB and we are looking dominant.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/will-steelers-tj-watt-be-nfl-mvp-2021

feel gross posting from steelers fan board, but here it is.  Listen to Ben talk about him.  Game changer on D, we win a few SBs.  

This is absolutely nuts.  The Bills have roughly $7.5 million in space.

If you inherited that $72 million in dead cap space, split over 2 years is $36 million.  So the next two seasons, you want to start in the by that much??? 

How many points did the Steelers defense with Watt hold the Chiefs to twice this year?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.