Williamsville Spanish Teacher - Getting National Attention For Racist Remarks

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing reporting local (NY) that you need to get report from area with very heavy Hispanic population?

If it was opposite - A teacher teaching Spanish speaking students how to disrespect non-Hispanic people they would not have reacted.

I worked in California and saw it a lot.

So in an area with a limited Hispanic population the words and story are less inane and discriminatory? It was news in Buffalo also.  

Your assumption raises an argument that you can’t prove. The bottom line is that discrimination coming from any direction is discrimination. Beyond this, what the teacher did was simply stupid.  How long could it have taken to put that assignment together, 60 seconds?  Take another 60 seconds and come up with some less offensive material.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So in an area with a limited Hispanic population the words and story are less inane and discriminatory? It was news in Buffalo also.  

Your assumption raises an argument that you can’t prove. The bottom line is that discrimination coming from any direction is discrimination. Beyond this, what the teacher did was simply stupid.  How long could it have taken to put that assignment together, 60 seconds?  Take another 60 seconds and come up with some less offensive material.

Yeah... 

At least be "offense neutral" and balance things out.  Lots of ugly Americans and pretty Mexicans.  All you gotta do is watch the weather, tuning in South of The Border is gold mine!

Special shoutout to: @Mike in Horseheads

https://www.thethings.com/ranking-the-most-attractive-weather-girls-on-tv/

😊 

6 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Did you press #2 for that?

Actually, I stood up under a crossbeam support back in the late 80s after my hard hat fell off.  Smacked the beam, but four years of high school Spanish seemed to be greatly recalled.  A miracle?  Perhaps. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Actually, I stood up under a crossbeam support back in the late 80s after my hard hat fell off.  Smacked the beam, but four years of high school Spanish seemed to be greatly recalled.  A miracle?  Perhaps. 🤔

I was on a business trip to Mexico years ago. I was trying very hard to follow conversation and respond (I really could not keep up with the speed). In response I kept inserting some of the very little Japanese I knew.  I’m sure my Mexican coworkers thought I was an idiot and had no idea what I was saying.   :lol:

I suppose in many situations the same could be said for my many native English speaking coworkers…. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I was on a business trip to Mexico years ago. I was trying very hard to follow conversation and respond (I really could not keep up with the speed). In response II kept inserting some of the very little Japanese I knew.  I’m sure my Mexican coworkers thought I was an idiot and had no idea what I was saying.   :lol:

I suppose in many situations the same could be said for my many native English speaking coworkers…. :lol: 

From 2006-13, I worked on a tunneling project where the overall manager was an Austrian firm that had done work all over the world, but little in North America at that point.  Early on, one boss and I actually found less problems communicating in broken Spanish than either of us trying English or German.

The Austrian managers would sometimes check on how work was going, by coming up and asking "finish?"  I would usually shake my head 'no', and point to each of us, saying "No!  Österreich, Canadian, U.S.!"  They did pick up "f*** off" fairly quickly. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.