CFP committee rankings

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to CFP committee rankings
2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are 7 in the AP poll but have the best win of the 1 loss teams 

They also had to go to the wire to beat Fresno State & California, not to mention the loss to Stanford.

I see your point about the win against Ohio State, but overall Oregon has not shown to be a dominant team.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They also had to go to the wire to beat Fresno State & California, not to mention the loss to Stanford.

I see your point about the win against Ohio State, but overall Oregon has not shown to be a dominant team.

I doubt they will be there in the end, just the initial rankings. I think they will lose to Utah. Probably sparty at 4 until they lose too

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I doubt they will be there in the end, just the initial rankings. I think they will lose to Utah. Probably sparty at 4 until they lose too

Fair enough. I agree with you on Utah. I wouldn't be shocked if the Ducks lost the Civil War Game to Oregon State.

• Haha (+1) 1

Really doesn't matter at this point. The top four teams in actuality, but it won't be reflected in the poll are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and then whoever you like from Cincinnati, Michigan St., Oregon, Oklahoma. There is separation between the top three and the rest.

Edited by Dr. Who
dammit, can't spell cincinnati to save my life
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Oklahoma State fan here... OU will be top 4, but they're more around the 8th best team IMO. They've barely won most their games, struggled against the likes of Kansas (who my Cowboys beat 55-3 on Saturday). 

1. UGA (by far)

2. Michigan State

3. Cincy 

4. Alabama

5. Oklahoma

6. Oregon

7. Michigan

8. Ohio State

9. N.D.

10. Oklahoma State

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Putting in Oregon with a loss to Stanford is questionable, but I guess I get it.  Would have preferred to see Cincy recognized in that spot. Surprised and delighted to see OSU at 5 -- thought they would be more like 7ish.  I guess that means the Buckeyes should be in if they beat Mich. St. and win the rest of their games.

• Agree 1

It is garbage top 4 and built to get OSU into final 4 if they don't mess up anymore. I don't think the entire Big 10 has one impressive out of conference win this year, maybe Auburn by Penn State, but plenty of losses but they have 6 teams in top 22. The only reason that Houston and SMU are not top 25 is to not give Cincy credit when they win.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is garbage top 4 and built to get OSU into final 4 if they don't mess up anymore. I don't think the entire Big 10 has one impressive out of conference win this year, maybe Auburn by Penn State, but plenty of losses but they have 6 teams in top 22. The only reason that Houston and SMU are not top 25 is to not give Cincy credit when they win.

Seems to me that it is built for one hell of a classic college football debate about whether to put in a one-loss OSU team with far better wins and a far better loss, or a one-loss Oregon team with a head-to-head advantage.  As an OSU fan, I'd rather avoid that debate even though I think it should be and would be resolved in favor of my team.

44 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Seems to me that it is built for one hell of a classic college football debate about whether to put in a one-loss OSU team with far better wins and a far better loss, or a one-loss Oregon team with a head-to-head advantage.  As an OSU fan, I'd rather avoid that debate even though I think it should be and would be resolved in favor of my team.

I also think the head to head matchup tends to be not as important to the committee because their goal seems to be who they believe at the end of the reg season has the best chance to win the title and beat, as it currently stands, UGA, bama or MSU (will obviously change). Not who won the game between those two teams in September.  If a team lost in week 2 that may or may not matter. That’s just how they think. If they think Ohio state is the better team in December than Oregon, they will put in Ohio state. And vice versa. Hypothetically.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 11/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Dr. Who said:

Really doesn't matter at this point. The top four teams in actuality, but it won't be reflected in the poll are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and then whoever you like from Cincinnati, Michigan St., Oregon, Oklahoma. There is separation between the top three and the rest.

Probably right those are the 3 best teams but there is noway you could rank OSU over Oregon until Oregon loses again.  This is not even debatable, Oregon beat them in their house.  This is why the committe put Oregon in the 4 hole, they knew they could not rank OSU ahead of Oregon or they lose all credibility and they wanted to give OSU the inside poll position to jump into the top 4 which they will do if they beat Sparty.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also think the head to head matchup tends to be not as important to the committee because their goal seems to be who they believe at the end of the reg season has the best chance to win the title and beat, as it currently stands, UGA, bama or MSU (will obviously change). Not who won the game between those two teams in September.  If a team lost in week 2 that may or may not matter. That’s just how they think. If they think Ohio state is the better team in December than Oregon, they will put in Ohio state. And vice versa. Hypothetically.

Your probably right but quick question, do you think in any universe the committee would ever rank a team even with a better resume that loss to Alabama or Ohio State ahead of them in the polls like some of you are suggesting that is going to happen to Oregon?  Noway, this becomes the double standard of the playoff selection committee.  If your Alabama/Ohio ST/Clemson/Notre Dame you have the inside track over everybody else no matter how you play on the field.  Save the crap about how teams like Cinci have a horrible SOS.   Cinci has -0- chance of improving their schedule because no one would play them this year.  Why doesnt OSU play them anymore?

Edited by Gordio

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Your probably right but quick question, do you think in any universe the committee would ever rank a team even with a better resume that loss to Alabama or Ohio State ahead of them in the polls like some of you are suggesting that is going to happen to Oregon?  Noway, this becomes the double standard of the playoff selection committee.  If your Alabama/Ohio ST/Clemson/Notre Dame you have the inside track over everybody else no matter how you play on the field.  Save the crap about how teams like Cinci have a horrible SOS.   Cinci has -0- chance of improving their schedule because no one would play them this year.  Why doesnt OSU play them anymore?

They just played them 2 years ago. They don’t play them every year, obviously. Out of conference CFB schedules are set like 5+ years in advance anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Right now what are the impressive wins for Ohio State? I get they will have to beat Michigan State and another in title game but right now how is Ohio state above Cincy who is undefeated and beat ND .

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.