The Lancaster, NY Dome Stadium that never was.

Draconator

9 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

As I recall, the dome was an inflatable type.  Not sure how that would have handled the Blizzard of 77, etc.  I think the contractor was an outfit called Bird/Byrd? air.

It would have been very handy to the airport.

I don’t think that is correct, I believe it was a solid dome.

I remember a scale model of it at the Boulevard Mall.

I grew up a mile from there and my Mom used to talk about how happy she was it never happened.

As a kid, we used to hunt back there.

There was a pretty big lawsuit that went on for decades regarding that site afterwards though I don’t know the particulars.

I was on The Resonsible Dome Action Comm While working at the Big N in Cheektowaga.  As I remember it the Council split 50-50 with the Dems and Republicans.  The mayor was a Dem and said no to it.  We had a huge display in the store and you could sign a petition for it.  Politics!

I grew up in Lancaster and remember hearing the stories of the dome stadium that never was - would have been right behind the high school

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, chris heff said:

I don’t think that is correct, I believe it was a solid dome.

I remember a scale model of it at the Boulevard Mall.

It;s a long time ago but there may have been more than one version, and inflatable was being discussed.  The same company did some building for the NY World's Fair 64-65, so they were in the picture.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.