America no longer exists

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So, to be clear, you’d mask children every year due to RSV?

Also, to be clear, you’d mandate annual flu vaccines as well as the, now, annual covid vaccines?

Why not? We mandate all kinds of vaccines to attend school, to serve in the military, etc.

You may someday outgrow your fear of needles.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why not? We mandate all kinds of vaccines to attend school, to serve in the military, etc.

You may someday outgrow your fear of needles.

Im living in fear, says the poster who wants mandated flu vaccines, covid vaccines and masking of children on an annual basis. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So, to be clear, you’d mask children every year due to RSV?

Also, to be clear, you’d mandate annual flu vaccines as well as the, now, annual covid vaccines?

I would first put a lot of resources into developing an effective vaccine against RSV.  And then follow the data; if there was a significant outbreak then I would absolutely have kids wear masks for prevention.  For flu, yes I would mandate vaccines.  I work or a health care organization, and everyone here must get the flu vaccine every year as a condition of employment.  But from a public health perspective, you look at benefit and risk.  The benefit to you and to the community at large from the flu vaccine  far, far outweigh any risks associated with the vaccine.  

I don't make viral diseases political.  I work in health care, I don't want people to die if they don't have to.  Simple.

Just now, SCBills said:

Im living in fear, says the poster who wants mandated flu vaccines, covid vaccines and masking of children on an annual basis. 

No, I have not said anything about "masking of children." On that one, I'm an old fashioned local control proponent. If the Berkeley CA school board wants kids masked, good for them. If the Abilene, TX school board doesn't, same here. There is no clear evidence of the cost/benefit either way, so let the locals decide.

How is wanting mandated vaccines "living in fear?" It's living in the real world. The cost/benefit calculus there is pretty damn clear and convincing. It's rational. Rational decisionmaking, once you explore it as a concept, is strangely liberating.

Hysterical Chicken Little rears his ugly head.  

We survived so much in this country so much worse than this.  Let's do a little timeline from 100 years ago.  So someone who was 20 at the beginning of this timeline was 44 when it was over.  Quit your whining old man. 

1917 US Enters WWI

1918 Spanish Flu Epidemic

1929 Stock Market Crash

1930-1939 Great Depression

1939- Germany Invades Poland

1941 - Japanese Attack Pear Harbor

1941-1945 - WWII

Now I know you're talking more of the philosophical demise of the US but damn dude.  Good thing you're old.  Life sure sucks for you right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

From what perspective?  From a viral perspective, they are different viruses.  But from how it shows the depths to which America has sank, it is a perfect comparison.

The America of the 50's cared about things.  They cared about their children, they put their children's well being above politics.  There are literally politicians and just regular folk, some on this very board, who would rather see children die if it means they can cling to their political stance.  Think about that - there are folks who would be OK watching their own child die if it means their political side claim claim some sort of bizarre victory.  

People believed in science back then too.  They understood that back then, as well as now, people spent years in the education and training to become doctors and scientists because they felt called to eradicate disease.  People understood back then that science is a process, and that when presented with data and facts you alter your approach to treatments as more data was obtained.  Now, people think everyone who is trying to defeat Covid has some sort of sinister ulterior motive.  People get on Facebook and plant crap like there are chips in the vaccines trying to control you.  And they use that, again, as a way to try and kill more people to buttress a political philosophy.

People used to care about each other back then, especially cared about the kids. They used to care about the truth, about their country.   Not anymore.  They only care about themselves.  And before I get the "if you don't like it, leave crap",  I'll say this.  I'm not the one who hates this country.  Maybe not you SCBills, but the people who do the crap that I talked about here.  They hate this country, they hate what it stands for, and they should be the ones who get the hell out.

While politics in our country are way too tribal, the people you're describing are the exception, not the rule.

And I'd also say that people are extremely different when they post on anonymous message boards than they are when dealing with others face-to-face.

We are not nearly like the 50's, but things aren't as bleak as you say.  I'd wager that the world has the same %age of selfish ass-holes as any time in the past.  It's just that social media has allowed them to show themselves for what they are. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

While politics in our country are way too tribal, the people you're describing are the exception, not the rule.

And I'd also say that people are extremely different when they post on anonymous message boards than they are when dealing with others face-to-face.

We are not nearly like the 50's, but things aren't as bleak as you say.  I'd wager that the world has the same %age of selfish ass-holes as any time in the past.  It's just that social media has allowed them to show themselves for what they are. 

I hope you're right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, snafu said:

Exactly.  I said this years ago Twitter was going to be the "death" of the Republic.  Nothing's really changed. It's just in your face 24/7.  We had The Buffalo Evening News delivered at 3pm (or whenever the kids delivering it got out of school)  Irv Weinstein at 6pm and Harry Reasoner and Howard K. Smith at 7pm and that was essentially it. 

Get off the Bots Twit For Brains. 

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Hysterical Chicken Little rears his ugly head.  

We survived so much in this country so much worse than this.  Let's do a little timeline from 100 years ago.  So someone who was 20 at the beginning of this timeline was 44 when it was over.  Quit your whining old man. 

1917 US Enters WWI

1918 Spanish Flu Epidemic

1929 Stock Market Crash

1930-1939 Great Depression

1939- Germany Invades Poland

1941 - Japanese Attack Pear Harbor

1941-1945 - WWII

Now I know you're talking more of the philosophical demise of the US but damn dude.  Good thing you're old.  Life sure sucks for you right now.  

Thanks for providing perfect examples of what I'm talking about.  We survived those very hard times because America was strong then, and because Americans back then realized there were things bigger than themselves.  We got through those very hard times because we sacrificed for the greater good.

Look at us today.  We have a Secretary of Defense who says he can't extract our own citizens from Afghanistan.  We have people around here who refuse to sacrifice for those around you and get a vaccine.  Who don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves, not even their kids. And you are so myopic you can't even see that you've proved my point.

America as a country, as the concept that made it the greatest country in the world, has given way.  The folks that lived through the era from 1917-1941 would smack us all across the face and tell us, as a whole, to grow up and face our responsibilities.   If they saw what's going on today they'd be ashamed.

5 minutes ago, TSOL said:

Twitter is digital crack

I've never done it and never will.  I oftentimes wonder if historians will look back centuries from now (if there are historians or anyone around then) and say that social media was the beginning of the end of our society.

With all due respect to the OP and others, I think you’re getting the messaging all mashed up. Slow down and take a breath. There’s a lot going on here. America is a simple concept born out of the outrageous core ideal of a free people. It’s freedom that we’re supposed to be defending both at home and abroad. Now, freedom of course doesn’t mean people do whatever they want whenever they want but  domestically lately we’ve been pushing the envelope and testing the water. As the federal government continues to expand its reach you’re going to see more and more such fraying at the edges. The further away decision making gets from the People, the less freedom the People will feel they have. 

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thanks for providing perfect examples of what I'm talking about.  We survived those very hard times because America was strong then, and because Americans back then realized there were things bigger than themselves.  We got through those very hard times because we sacrificed for the greater good.

Look at us today.  We have a Secretary of Defense who says he can't extract our own citizens from Afghanistan.  We have people around here who refuse to sacrifice for those around you and get a vaccine.  Who don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves, not even their kids. And you are so myopic you can't even see that you've proved my point.

America as a country, as the concept that made it the greatest country in the world, has given way.  The folks that lived through the era from 1917-1941 would smack us all across the face and tell us, as a whole, to grow up and face our responsibilities.   If they saw what's going on today they'd be ashamed.

I fear you have had little conversations with Conservative Middle America.   You need to get out some.  

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect to the OP and others, I think you’re getting the messaging all mashed up. Slow down and take a breath. There’s a lot going on here. America is a simple concept born out of the outrageous core ideal of a free people. It’s freedom that we’re supposed to be defending both at home and abroad. Now, freedom of course doesn’t mean people do whatever they want whenever they want but  domestically lately we’ve been pushing the envelope and testing the water. As the federal government continues to expand its reach you’re going to see more and more such fraying at the edges. The further away decision making gets from the People, the less freedom the People will feel they have. 

I hope you're right.  I really do.  But I fear wehave gone so far over the edge we cannot retrieve the country.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I fear you have had little conversations with Conservative Middle America.   You need to get out some.  

I live right in the middle of conservative middle America.  The problem is there are no good conservatives or liberals anymore, just fringe elements destroying our country.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I live right in the middle of conservative middle America.  The problem is there are no good conservatives or liberals anymore, just fringe elements destroying our country.

Good lord dude.   There are shitloads of good conservatives out there.  You just aren't paying attention.   

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Good lord dude.   There are shitloads of good conservatives out there.  You just aren't paying attention.   

They are being drowned out by the nonsense.  Our country was at its best when there were more liberal and more conservative individuals of each party.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They are being drowned out by the nonsense.  Our country was at its best when there were more liberal and more conservative individuals of each party.

They are not being drowned out by nonsense.  You allowing the nonsense to take over your ears, eyes and brain.  Go work in the garden old man.  

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ab1d0686c6d0f7ee182780540657ccb3.jpeg

What happen?  Did the PPP GPS I send you run out of batteries.  

BTW this is one of your more childish memes.  Grow up man-child.  You're a ***** embarrassment. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I hope you're right.  I really do.  But I fear wehave gone so far over the edge we cannot retrieve the country.  

That’s because there are forces at work that are actively and openly proclaiming their goal as being to ‘fundamentally transform America’. I’m not sure what you thought that meant, but if you float that trial balloon out there you’re going to stir up a pretty big hornets nest. 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

They are not being drowned out by nonsense.  You allowing the nonsense to take over your ears, eyes and brain.  Go work in the garden old man.  

What happen?  Did the PPP GPS I send you run out of batteries.  

BTW this is one of your more childish memes.  Grow up man-child.  You're a ***** embarrassment. 

So who is conservative to you?  DeSantis?  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

So who is conservative to you?  DeSantis?  

Who in the ***** is talking politicians?  I'm talking the people of this great nation. Go out and take a walk old man.  Get some fresh air.  It will do you good.