Rousseau vs Sewell. Bills vs Lions Preseason

Protocal69

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's an interesting one for sure.  But Peppers was a much better natural athlete and more conventional as a pass rusher, IMO.   GR was a 3 star recruit for a reason, he's not a broadly spectacular athlete.   I really thought Peppers was going to be better than Bruce/Reggie when I was watching him dominate at UNC.  A conversation for top 10 all-time NFL athlete type.   He had it all, except maybe that real killer instinct(in an era where that mattered more), which is why despite being an obvious HOF'er he kinda' underachieved for much of his career IMO.    

Rousseau isn't that kind of athlete but he really plays LONG.  Peppers always struck me as not really getting the max advantage of his height/length.   I'd say that about most of the tall comps.    Rousseau seems to get the max benefit of his length and that is unique to me.   Whether that materializes into him being extraordinary we will see but I do see him as a guy who could maximize his talents statistically because he just has a combination of length, hands and awareness that will lead to a lot of numbers behind the LOS.      

Peppers was definitely a better natural athlete. What’s interesting was where his game went when a bit of that athleticism started to fade (Bears/Packers). He started utilizing his length more to make plays. It was an evolution of a wiley veteran. Now, I’m not sure how much of that was him switching to a two point stance and needing to utilize length because the leverage points changed. It’s absolutely worth watching some of those Bears and Packers highlights to see how Rousseau can dominate with length; dragging down RBs from behind while running the arc, tipped passes, etc. Thing is though, Rousseau needs to develop some counter moves in order to maximize his length as a weapon. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Just wondering why you would compare him to wake?  Iirc wake had the 2nd highest vertical ever recorded at the combine, regardless of position.  I think it was like 45 inches. Rousseau isn’t nearly as explosive as an athlete.  I assume Wake has a giant wingspan as well?

He (Rousseau) looks to me to have that rangy super athletic rawness to his pass rush that Wake did…to me it’s a big compliment. I don’t think Rousseau is quite as powerful or explosive as Wake but he’s bigger and the way he took his space and attacked w a lot of upper body leverage reminded me of him, Cam Wake always looked like the best athlete of the dline when he was playing.

• Like (+1) 2

Always figured Rousseau would benefit a lot from a year with Bills trainers, and no doubt he will, but I’m beginning to think he is quite a bit stronger than I thought right now. Maybe I failed to consider length as leverage for power (as opposed simply to reach) when technique is good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1