Tesla Owners - I'm debating one as my next car

Virgil

On 8/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, Sundancer said:

I test drove the Y in May. I took a 20 minute test drive (they told me to drive to a place and back). 

I used the Autopilot (this had FSD) at every road it would allow. It was awesome. More cautious than I'd have been but to not have to engage that part of the brain really is relaxing. It's not fully autonomous but it's more like cruise control for the steering wheel. You have to be there to make sure if it screws up but really, it doesn't screw up. 

The ride is rough. If you're looking for a smooth ride, this isn't it. I have had and still have a sportier car so that doesn't bother me but in a car that is not performance, I hoped for a little more cradling. 

The interior is a matter of taste. I love it. Others want more stuff. I mean, man, the thing is minimal.

I like the exterior. I would like the Model 3 more if it had a hatch as I don't need more space but a hatch is really helpful for my life. 

The only thing holding me back (OK...price is holding me back too) is reliability. They suck donkey ***** on reliability. The Tesla-hypnotized never complain about it but if you go to any forum, or read Consumer Reports, the problems are legion. 

My wife has the electric Chevy Bolt. It's fantastic. Not as sexy as the Tesla but a really good and affordable under the radar EV car. Biggest downside: No fast charging network so you really can't use it for long trips. When that's fixed, the Mustang Mach-e, VW ID.4, and others become actual Tesla competitors. 

Theres no talking to them. They will staunchly defend Tesla no matter what. We've learned to just let them think what they want it's like trying arguing politics.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm on the fence here but will probably wait until there's a lot more superchargers.  Friends of ours have some EV (Chevy one I think?) and they had gone to see family in Syracuse (they live in Rotterdam).  The fast charger was broken at the rest stop so they had to use a slow one, and ended up camping out for 6 hours at a rest stop to get the last 50 miles home.  Until they solve for that, i think I'll stick with ICE because I tend to do a lot of regional driving around and don't want to be held hostage

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'm on the fence here but will probably wait until there's a lot more superchargers…

I have driven my car several times from central VA to WNY over the last 6 months including twice in the last month and have always found empty slots at different superchargers along the way. I usually charge with enough miles so if that supercharger was disabled (like you point out) I could make it to another. The recently added notification when suoercharging that an idle fee will be charged after completion will assist in keeping charging slots available.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 7:02 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Theres no talking to them. They will staunchly defend Tesla no matter what. We've learned to just let them think what they want it's like trying arguing politics.

Had some fun today in a Plaid. I take back everything I ever said about Tesla. You blink and you're doing double what most people think is fast and it feels like you're doing 40. The fastest car I've ever been in.  The car we drove down in was something special and we forgot about that the second we felt the power of the Plaid pulling off the lot.

The quality was much better than older Tesla's I've been in. Seems they've worked out a lot of kinks like others have said. 

Highly recommend. 

• 2 months later...

My boss bought a Tesla Model S last year, and when my wife and I visited him in November, it was my first time in a Tesla.  I've gotta tell you that in as much as I think that Elon Musk is psychotic, the S-3-X-Y branding of their vehicles is precious, and that the Tesla is that kind of status symbol that I usually have zero interest in, the car is ***** hot.  Now my wife is saying that her next car is a Tesla, and I'm leaning towards either the F-150 electric or the Bronco.

I'm a car guy.  I've always been.  My dad was an engineer with GM (Harrison) for 36 years, so we basically had nothing but GM cars, for better or for worse (generally for worse if you look at their output in the 1980s through most of the 90s).  Once he retired, I branched out into other brands.  As a bachelor, I had some neat rides (fast cars, trucks, etc), but as a married guy I'm pretty much in Toyota/Hybrid land at the moment, well, sprinkling in a few years of Jeep Cherokee (XJ model) or Wrangler here and there.  Plus last year I sold my '75 MGB.

But, yeah.  Tesla.  Mind blown.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, Mr Info said:

I have driven my car several times from central VA to WNY over the last 6 months including twice in the last month and have always found empty slots at different superchargers along the way. I usually charge with enough miles so if that supercharger was disabled (like you point out) I could make it to another. The recently added notification when suoercharging that an idle fee will be charged after completion will assist in keeping charging slots available.

How much does it cost for a super-charged "fill up"... Do you have to swine a card or is it free?

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How much does it cost for a super-charged "fill up"... Do you have to swine a card or is it free?

Some Tesla owners still have the free supercharge option but the last time I recall that perk was offered was 3-4 yrs ago.

A credit card is kept in your account for Supercharger billing. The cost depends on supercharger connection time. It equates to a combustion engine gas fill up. If vehicle has low fuel/battery you may choose to fill/charge to full. But it also depends on how much distance you still need to travel. For example, if you had 30 miles left on battery and were 100 miles from home, you may just wait for 100 miles to be added to battery before departing the supercharger because you will re-charge when you get home. You can disconnect at any time.
I have found the charge cost to be ~2/3 of what the fuel cost would be for the same distance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, Mr Info said:

Some Tesla owners still have the free supercharge option but the last time I recall that perk was offered was 3-4 yrs ago.

A credit card is kept in your account for Supercharger billing. The cost depends on supercharger connection time. It equates to a combustion engine gas fill up. If vehicle has low fuel/battery you may choose to fill/charge to full. But it also depends on how much distance you still need to travel. For example, if you had 30 miles left on battery and were 100 miles from home, you may just wait for 100 miles to be added to battery before departing the supercharger because you will re-charge when you get home. You can disconnect at any time.
I have found the charge cost to be ~2/3 of what the fuel cost would be for the same distance.

Thnx! Pretty interesting all the added wrinkles.

I take it's cheaper to "fill up"... Charge at home. 

Anyway to charge for free... Even if slow, like say over the 8-12 hours you're @ work? I suppose that all changes when everyone starts jumping on the grid???

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thnx! Pretty interesting all the added wrinkles.

I take it's cheaper to "fill up"... Charge at home. 

Anyway to charge for free... Even if slow, like say over the 8-12 hours you're @ work? I suppose that all changes when everyone starts jumping on the grid???

The cost to charge at home depends on your electric provider’s rates. Tesla provides a 20’ 110 V/15 amp connector (cannot use extension cords). That would be a Level 1 connection and provides ~5mi/hr. Businesses will usually supply Level 2 chargers (~25mi/hr). You can install a Level 2 charger in your garage for ~$600-$1k. 
I am fortunate to have 2 free Level 2 chargers within reasonable distance of our house. I will drive there, hook up, and walk home. Return 3-4 hrs later and drive home with another 100 miles. Repeat whenever necessary. I am not paying any $ for miles except for Supercharger stops on long trips. This convenience factored into my EV purchase.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Friend was charged about $16-$20 from pretty much empty.  There's a card on file and they charge that. 

I will say that having to sit and charge your car for a half hour gets annoying. But there's in car entertainment. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I love Teslas. Thanks to the row of Tesla charging spots at the local Stop and Shop, there is always a nice parking spot close to the door for my Jeep.

I've always thought about pulling into one of the vehicle charging spots at the mall, open my hood, toss the end of the charging cable in there, then closing it, and go shopping.  Make it look like I'm charging up my non hybrid car.  

Or there's this option...

Y8cP93dhaFVFmjDOi_SYZnHHycVeaL_Lh9B7Y1-WwrI.jpg

• Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I've always thought about pulling into one of the vehicle charging spots at the mall, open my hood, toss the end of the charging cable in there, then closing it, and go shopping.  Make it look like I'm charging up my non hybrid car.  

Or there's this option...

Y8cP93dhaFVFmjDOi_SYZnHHycVeaL_Lh9B7Y1-WwrI.jpg

LMAO! I wouldn't do it honestly if there weren't 10 of the freakin things....and I've at most only seen TWO occupied at once.

13 hours ago, Mr Info said:

The cost to charge at home depends on your electric provider’s rates. Tesla provides a 20’ 110 V/15 amp connector (cannot use extension cords). That would be a Level 1 connection and provides ~5mi/hr. Businesses will usually supply Level 2 chargers (~25mi/hr). You can install a Level 2 charger in your garage for ~$600-$1k. 
I am fortunate to have 2 free Level 2 chargers within reasonable distance of our house. I will drive there, hook up, and walk home. Return 3-4 hrs later and drive home with another 100 miles. Repeat whenever necessary. I am not paying any $ for miles except for Supercharger stops on long trips. This convenience factored into my EV purchase.

I had an electrician do it for $200.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

So true.  Unfortunately, I think it would be probably $2k for us -- since we already have two boxes, which are both full, and would probably need a third one in the garage.

I had to have mine installed on my oven circuit. I only charge after midnight, when we never cook, so it’s not a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Why would anyone buy a Tesla outside of it’s warranty range full knowing that batteries are the most expensive to replace. While most Teslas will last well over 100k miles as battery degradation on average is reliable, it’s still a big risk to buy an old model past warranty. 

Something isn’t adding up in the story. It says he bought it in 2013 (assuming new), and it was fine for the 1st 1,000 miles. Tesla S are warrantied 150k miles or 8 years. Sounds like he used the Tesla well up until this year and it fell past the 8 year warranty. If you are getting 150k miles on a car, that’s about average before things go downhill. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.