OT - Happy Dyngus Day!

Big Turk

Happy Dyngus Day!  The day when everyone in WNY is Polish...

Sucks for the 2nd straight year Buffalo's favorite festival is mostly canceled except for the parade.

However, if anyone has figured out who Alice is please let me know...24 years and I still don't have a f***ing clue!! 😂

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Happy Dyngus Day!  The day when everyone in WNY is Polish...

Sucks for the 2nd straight year Buffalo's favorite festival is mostly canceled except for the parade.

However, if anyone has figured out who Alice is please let me know...24 years and I still don't have a f***ing clue!! 😂

Also... The day everyone is Polish in South Bend, Indiana.  They celebrate it really big there.   Like BFLo, if not even more hyped by the town!

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Also... The day everyone is Polish in South Bend, Indiana.  They celebrate it really big there.   Like BFLo, if not even more hyped by the town!

That's awesome! Cleveland has started also...

Buffalo's is actually the largest Dyngus Day in the world...even bigger than in Warsaw. Actually drove past a house all decked out in Dyngus Day stuff today...it was pretty cool!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's awesome! Cleveland has started also...

Buffalo's is actually the largest Dyngus Day in the world...even bigger than in Warsaw. Actually drove past a house all decked out in Dyngus Day stuff today...it was pretty cool!

Outside of Poland Western New York is probably the most Polish place in the world

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Outside of Poland Western New York is probably the most Polish place in the world

Actually, the largest concentration outside Poland I believe is Chicago:

"Institutions. Chicago bills itself as the largest Polish city outside of Poland with approximately 1,900,000 people of Polish ethnicity in the Chicago metropolitan area."

I don't even think there's two million total in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Institutions. Chicago bills itself as the largest Polish city outside of Poland with approximately 1,900,000 people of Polish ethnicity in the Chicago metropolitan area."

Yeah I meant to say chicago too, and if you include every single county in Western New York it's probably close to 2 million people

But by percentage wise WNY is probably tops, Sloan, cheektowaga and depew are all in the top 40 in the country for % of Polish residence ... Chicago isn't and I think only one suburb is.. it's just a massive City, so there's probably a lot of Germans poles Italians

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I meant to say chicago too, and if you include every single county in Western New York it's probably close to 2 million people

But by percentage wise WNY is probably tops, Sloan, cheektowaga and depew are all in the top 40 in the country for % of Polish residence ... Chicago isn't and I think only one suburb is.. it's just a massive City, so there's probably a lot of Germans poles Italians

Yeah... I stand corrected,  2.8 million in the Upstate New York Region of WNY... But heck... 1.9 million is a heck of a lot of Poles.  I have even noticed in recent years, they are coming through on recreational boats, speak nothing but Polish.  Hard-headed too! 😆 Anybody know how to say: "life preserver, no wake" in Polish!

Help:

@BringBackFergy

@Beerball

Special Shout-out to:

@Gugny (I hear you just graduated from the Polish-American Museum in Amsterdam,  New York! 😉)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you count all the Poles buried at St Stanislaus Cemetery, it might be close  😆

• Haha (+1) 1

Had an appointment in Buff early yesterday, ended up cruising over by the Central Terminal & by a couple dives over there around 11:45am, definitely not the same amount of buzz as a normal year.

Was gonna stop somewhere for a lunch Dyngus beer but wasn’t feelin it. Most ‘events’ were scaled back and pre-pay only, which was totally understandable.

Sad to miss a fun tradition two years in a row, but I guess we’ll just have to double down next year!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.