Available players released from other teams

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he was cut and bills offered/he visited  but he chose GB

Pettine fired and they hired Joe barry

...hey Kirksey missed 5 games this last year alone on a 2 year 16 million dollar deal. He played well, but can't stay healthy. Same reason he was cut by Browns. 

I'd bring him in for a peanut type deal...but mostly would not plan around him. He's not the kinda guy you count on. 

• Agree 2
  • Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't get why so many are down on Brown.  He was great in 2019 and played well before the injury.  Of course he didn't get as many yards/catches cuz we added Diggs.  You gotta have more than 1 stud

Posted Images

On 2/18/2021 at 4:48 PM, Seoulofstone said:

So this is an interesting article, projecting possible upcoming NFC cuts by Greg Rosenthal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfc-cut-candidates-viable-releases-and-potential-surprises

The name that pops here, (especially if Watt goes elsewhere) is Chandler Jones. Definitely a guy that the Bills might want to take a look at.

The Cap space thing reminds me of an Elvis Costello song

Why don't you tell me 'bout the mystery dance?
           I want to know about the mystery dance  . . . .

'Cause I've tried and I've tried
              And I'm still mystified

I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied

Admittedly, I do not understand the Cap thing, other than it limits how much money any team can spend, and sometimes you have to cut high-paid players or let them walk to stay under it.

But it seems to me, that guys like Milano who are entering Free Agency this year are not going to have too many options. The general message is, teams have little room to resign or bid for free agents.

Where are all these released and FA players going to play? A guess a few teams with the cap space will have a chance to get real good real fast. And many players are about to be really disappointed, or short sell on undervalued one-year contracts, or start looking for gainful employment out of the NFL.

Like I said: " Cause I've tried and I've tried, And I'm still mystified"

• Like (+1) 1
3 hours ago, CSBill said:

The Cap space thing reminds me of an Elvis Costello song

Elvis Costello!  SNL!  Radio, Radio!

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

But it seems to me, that guys like Milano who are entering Free Agency this year are not going to have too many options. The general message is, teams have little room to resign or bid for free agents.

Where are all these released and FA players going to play? A guess a few teams with the cap space will have a chance to get real good real fast. And many players are about to be really disappointed, or short sell on undervalued one-year contracts, or start looking for gainful employment out of the NFL.

Like I said: " Cause I've tried and I've tried, And I'm still mystified"

This has come up before but is worth reprising. 

There are roughly 3 tiers of teams with regard to the cap:

1) those who have plenty of cap room, even with the lower cap

2) those who thought they'd be good, but with the lower cap are pretty much right at the cap and need to maneuver (Bills fall into this category)

3) those who are way over the cap and need to shed load

If you go here

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

You can see that 11 teams have more than $20M in free cap space.

6 teams are more than $20M in the red, "over the cap"

The idea is that guys like Milano can sign with the 11 teams who have plenty of cap room.  He only needs 1 or 2 matches between his skill set and the needs of a team with plenty of cap room to spare.

Sometimes a team makes one move that flips their cap situation; the Texans went from ~$15M in the red to having ~$5M in excess just by cutting JJ Watt

The most common way a team tries to change their cap situation is by renegotiating contracts. Spotrac says that 99% of the time, these are not asking the player to take a cut.  Most of the time, they take a player's high salary and convert all but league minimum to a signing bonus that can be divided (amortized) evenly across the remaining years of the contract.  They can also play other tricks like adding a voidable year or converting part of it to a roster bonus the following season and offering larger guarantees to ensure the player will get that money.

Some people call this "kicking the Salary Cap can down the road".  

Hope this helps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
11 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

...hey Kirksey missed 5 games this last year alone on a 2 year 16 million dollar deal. He played well, but can't stay healthy. Same reason he was cut by Browns. 

I'd bring him in for a peanut type deal...but mostly would not plan around him. He's not the kinda guy you count on. 

He was outplayed and basically lost his starting spot while injured as well. Barnes and Martin played well enough to make him a cap casualty. 

The Wagner release is a bit stranger to me. He played well at RT all season, and OT is a lot harder and more expensive to replace. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He was outplayed and basically lost his starting spot while injured as well. Barnes and Martin played well enough to make him a cap casualty. 

The Wagner release is a bit stranger to me. He played well at RT all season, and OT is a lot harder and more expensive to replace. 

Yeah Wagner gotta be all cap related I would think. Hopefully that gets us a little leverage with Williams 😆

• Like (+1) 1
6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

You can see that 11 teams have more than $20M in free cap space.

6 teams are more than $20M in the red, "over the cap"

The idea is that guys like Milano can sign with the 11 teams who have plenty of cap room.  He only needs 1 or 2 matches between his skill set and the needs of a team with plenty of cap room to spare.

You bring up good points Hap and that is true for most typical years but the truth is that this coming year there is going to

be only half of the money available chasing the same amount of free agents.  Actually because of other teams in cap trouble

it will probably be more free agent then ever.  A number of those 11 teams also need to sign a bunch of their own FAs too.

Those teams left that are looking for an OLB AND HAVE THE MONEY will be chasing bigger names than Milano to begin with.

Here are the OLBs on the market right now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/outside-linebacker/

I don't think Milano gets the money he is looking for IMO.

• Agree 1
22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You bring up good points Hap and that is true for most typical years but the truth is that this coming year there is going to

be only half of the money available chasing the same amount of free agents.  Actually because of other teams in cap trouble

it will probably be more free agent then ever.  A number of those 11 teams also need to sign a bunch of their own FAs too.

Those teams left that are looking for an OLB AND HAVE THE MONEY will be chasing bigger names than Milano to begin with.

Here are the OLBs on the market right now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/outside-linebacker/

I don't think Milano gets the money he is looking for IMO.

Also valid points, @ColoradoBills

Two counterpoints:

1) I expect a lot of those guys aren't going anywhere (Judon, Lavonte David).  If they are, Sign Me Up.  Guy with 8/9 seasons over 100 tackles and double digit TFL?  Lavonte David over Milano every day of the week and 2x on Sunday, please.

2) Just like they say "it's a matchup league", it's a matchup game in FA.  A lot of those guys are Edge types, rather than the mix of run D and coverage LB Milano has developed himself into.  So it's not accurate to picture Milano as competing against that whole list.

I personally feel the Wawrow story came out as agent-driven.  I think Milano has been told the Bills aren't going to be able to pay him what he wants, which would be along the lines of the market value Spotrac gives him of 3 years, $41.5M or $13.8M/yr and that he has some interest, but nothing as definite as he'd like.  So he's putting himself out there as available and as "just an innocent victim of Cap Circumstance here, nothing to see in my injury history that should put you off".

Like I said, Milano only needs 1-2 teams where his skills, their needs, and their cap space overlap

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also valid points, @ColoradoBills

Two counterpoints:

1) I expect a lot of those guys aren't going anywhere (Judon, Lavonte David).  If they are, Sign Me Up.  Guy with 8/9 seasons over 100 tackles and double digit TFL?  Lavonte David over Milano every day of the week and 2x on Sunday, please.

2) Just like they say "it's a matchup league", it's a matchup game in FA.  A lot of those guys are Edge types, rather than the mix of run D and coverage LB Milano has developed himself into.  So it's not accurate to picture Milano as competing against that whole list.

I personally feel the Wawrow story came out as agent-driven.  I think Milano has been told the Bills aren't going to be able to pay him what he wants, which would be along the lines of the market value Spotrac gives him of 3 years, $41.5M or $13.8M/yr and that he has some interest, but nothing as definite as he'd like.  So he's putting himself out there as available and as "just an innocent victim of Cap Circumstance here, nothing to see in my injury history that should put you off".

Good counterpoints that I will comment on.

1.  Yes some of these OLBs (or any other position to my point) will be signed by their original team.  Every time that happens the potential

cap pool diminishes.  If the Raven re-sign Judon it's also another team not looking to sign a high dollar Milano too.

Right now the Cowboys have 27M in cap space but as soon as they sign Dak that is gone.

Pittsburg will have a hard time signing JuJu and Dupree so Bud Dupree could be a big target.

2.  Totally agree with the "fit" point.  It's just a lot less teams with money looking to be that "fit" for a guy like Milano.

If there is one he will be gone.  If not he may be back for a one year deal.

Spotrac has the average cap space for each team in the league at $15M with a $185M cap.

If that is increased to $190M that an average of $20M per team average.

20M X 32 = $640M in total cap out there.

If things were normal the cap would be $209M this year.  But I just figured $190M.

That's a 19M deficit.

19M X 32 = $608M less than normal.

That where I get only about half the amount of cap space chasing Free Agents.

Things will get interesting if these numbers become reality! 

On 2/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Hardly. He cut guys and created a cap disaster then overspent on several free agents. He did well with several like Williams, Beasley, Feliciano, and Brown but really overspent on the likes of Murphy, Morse, Butler, Kleine, Jefferson, and Addison. Basically he is your average GM that got a franchise QB in Allen. If the Browns or Jets had taken Allen he would have traded up for Rosen.

This can be said about every single GM.  They have hits and misses.

He built a roster that went 13-3 and one step away from the Super Bowl.  He didn’t “get” a franchise QB, he traded up for one that was a huge project.  The Pats got a franchise QB in Brady because he was just sitting there in the 6th round....we moved up to the top 10 to get ours!  

I think its pretty obvious based on Rosen’s personality that he’s not a McDermott guy at all.  If the Jets or Browns take Allen, you that means Darnold or Baker would be available.  You’re only choosing Rosen because he was a bust and want to be negative about Beane.

• Like (+1) 6
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This can be said about every single GM.  They have hits and misses.

He built a roster that went 13-3 and one step away from the Super Bowl.  He didn’t “get” a franchise QB, he traded up for one that was a huge project.  The Pats got a franchise QB in Brady because he was just sitting there in the 6th round....we moved up to the top 10 to get ours!  

I think its pretty obvious based on Rosen’s personality that he’s not a McDermott guy at all.  If the Jets or Browns take Allen, you that means Darnold or Baker would be available.  You’re only choosing Rosen because he was a bust and want to be negative about Beane.

I'm not sure where it was said that the Bills liked Rosen, much less would have traded-up for him.  And if the Browns hadn't taken Baker, they likely would have taken Josh and the Jets likely would still have taken Darnold, leaving Mayfield for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure where it was said that the Bills liked Rosen, much less would have traded-up for him.  And if the Browns hadn't taken Baker, they likely would have taken Josh and the Jets likely would still have taken Darnold, leaving Mayfield for the Bills. 

I’m pretty sure they didn’t have either Rosen or mayfield on their board per reports after the draft

• Like (+1) 1
21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m pretty sure they didn’t have either Rosen or mayfield on their board per reports after the draft

Could be. I didn’t see reports either way.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think kirksey was in his wedding 

Oh, I get it, they were teammates for 3 years at Iowa.

Cool.

But replacing Micah Hyde with Christian Kirksey would be like "fryingpan into the fire" with the injuries, no?