Has Daboll used LESS pre-snap and post-snap motion lately?

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

McKenzie was the scout team QB before Balt so there is no injury there.

This offense is best when McKenzie is heavily utilized.  

Daboll has gone vanilla on offense in the playoffs, relying on Allen to make something out of nothing.  It is has been a disappointment to say the least.

I felt like throughout the season we had the most TDs that didn't involve the QB throwing, and now we have gone extremely boring in the playoffs.

Daboll refuses to run the ball with the wind last week and Singletary's success last year vs Balt, could have very well cost him an HC job, I would agree with any team that passes over on him.  He leaves a lot to be desired. 

Other than the Dolphins game where we sat many regulars, when has McKenzie been heavily utilized?

48 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Other than the Dolphins game where we sat many regulars, when has McKenzie been heavily utilized?

SF they had specific plays for him that caused a ton of mismatches all over the field.  Seattle was the same thing.  He had a ton of movement along the line presnap there.

If the motion helps get an aggressive D to shift one way or another, it’s worth it.  If not, it’s useless.   Both teams in the playoffs are quite good Ds and have been pretty successful in staying disciplined this year, probably a better strategy to go with a plan that put the ball in the hands of your best.

Some of it is injuries - some of it is trying to scheme to specific opponents. To be honest - we've faced some of the toughest match ups for us. KC isn't anywhere near as bad a defensive match for us - and with a health Allen and less than 25 mph winds we should see a huge improvement. 

That reminds me - in the first KC game with all the wind and rain and with a hurt Allen we had 2 TDs we missed (A Diggs Drop and an overthrow to a wide open John Brown) We didn't score on either of those drives and the game would have been wildly different imo if we had.

3 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Cover1 showed a few plays on their breakdown which had some motions to help ID coverages, so it's not quite as black and white as it may appear. I agree it's shown up a good bit less, esp jet sweeps and whatnot, but it has been there.

From what I recall, lots of the motion and position of the safeties pre snap helped indicate what seemed to be a 0 look, only for the Ravens to haul ass and give a completely different look (Diggs first overthrow, the second overthrow when he was open was a result of Lee Smith doing some motion, among others) 

I thought the motion was primarily so that the QB could identify the type of secondary coverage, as said in the above post.  In zone, the D doesn’t scramble to man up on the motion man because they aren’t covering specific players.  In man you see the D cover guy running to match the motion.

I don’t know this, maybe some of the more savvy can help, but if the coverage scheme was not being disguised, would the motion be necessary?

For sure he has used it less.

2 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I thought the motion was primarily so that the QB could identify the type of secondary coverage, as said in the above post.  In zone, the D doesn’t scramble to man up on the motion man because they aren’t covering specific players.  In man you see the D cover guy running to match the motion.

I don’t know this, maybe some of the more savvy can help, but if the coverage scheme was not being disguised, would the motion be necessary?

It's also to create mismatches in coverage (getting a LB on a WR, for instance), cause deception, and to help playmakers gain speed before the snap.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for all the insights above. This issue is interesting for many reasons, as you well know.

But to OP's point, where can one find the particular data? I'm sure PFF has it, but behind a paywall.

@sven233provided one data point (thanks) but wondering if someone can provide the seasonal no-kidding motion/eye-candy/etc numbers?

@Hapless Bills Fanto the rescue?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thanks for all the insights above. This issue is interesting for many reasons, as you well know.

But to OP's point, where can one find the particular data? I'm sure PFF has it, but behind a paywall.

@sven233provided one data point (thanks) but wondering if someone can provide the seasonal no-kidding motion/eye-candy/etc numbers?

@Hapless Bills Fanto the rescue?

No, that's a great question - how much do the Bills use pre-snap motion, post snap motion etc?  I'm not aware of a free data source on this.

My impression watching the games is that we still use good bit of pre-snap motion.  We move WR around to help diagnose man vs zone.  But some teams (Miami I think did this) showed man then dropped into zone, so it's not as useful for that purpose.  We still motion the TE and RB around of course.

I think we stopped running as much Jet Sweep/Reverse because the word was out on it, they take time to develop, and teams were diagnosing and jumping on it too fast.   We have to figure out our "tells" on it to make them useful again.

There are some splits on pro-football-reference.com

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020_splits.htm

There is a lot of data at Sharp Football stats

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/

Quick glance didn't see what you're looking for but a more in depth search might find it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, that's a great question - how much do the Bills use pre-snap motion, post snap motion etc?  I'm not aware of a free data source on this.

My impression watching the games is that we still use good bit of pre-snap motion.  We move WR around to help diagnose man vs zone.  But some teams (Miami I think did this) showed man then dropped into zone, so it's not as useful for that purpose.  We still motion the TE and RB around of course.

I think we stopped running as much Jet Sweep/Reverse because the word was out on it, they take time to develop, and teams were diagnosing and jumping on it too fast.   We have to figure out our "tells" on it to make them useful again.

There are some splits on pro-football-reference.com

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020_splits.htm

There is a lot of data at Sharp Football stats

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/

Quick glance didn't see what you're looking for but a more in depth search might find it.

Thanks Hap. I'll look thru these data.

You're always there for us man, sniffle, sniffle...