Nice article on Farwell and STs

TPS

Good piece in The Athletic by Graham on Farwell.

Heath Farwell wasn’t shown on TV, nor was he mentioned Sunday, when Isaiah McKenzie scored the Bills’ first punt return touchdown in six years.

Farwell wasn’t acknowledged after the Bills executed a daring fake punt on their own side of the field a week earlier against the New England Patriots.

Throughout the second quarter in Week 10, as rookie kicker Tyler Bass thumped field goals from 54 yards, 55 yards and 58 yards, Farwell’s name didn’t come up.

Such is the thankless life of a career special teams craftsman, whose work occurs as the game fades into a commercial beak and fans hurry to take a leak.

Farwell is the most important Bills coach you don’t know enough about. A coordinator for just two years, he oversees some of the NFL’s best special teams units. With the Bills’ high-wattage offense commanding the spotlight, Farwell’s impact has been overlooked.

12 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Nice to see the huge improvement of special teams. 

I remember when he first got here, the unit wasn't great, and people were saying he was just another chump from Caroline. 

So much for that!!

I think he has really blossomed this year, last year i was very dissapointed.

Look no further than the blocked punt that cost us the Pats game last year and the fake punt this year.  I think he learned to teach the ST to call an audible if the blocking  leaves an uncovered gunner and for a fake unlike  last year that block was inevitable the way the Pats lined up, they could have audibled out of that last year.  I would love to know if the Bills on ST did an audible to go for that fake this year.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think he has really blossomed this year, last year i was very dissapointed.

Look no further than the blocked punt that cost us the Pats game last year and the fake punt this year.  I think he learned to teach the ST to call an audible if the blocking  leaves an uncovered gunner and for a fake unlike  last year that block was inevitable the way the Pats lined up, they could have audibled out of that last year.  I would love to know if the Bills on ST did an audible to go for that fake this year.

You could tell he was really nervous last year, but about half-way through the season, he and STs started turning it around.

• Like (+1) 1

The maturation/improvement of Farwell and special teams:  Last year in punt formantion NE lines up with no one on gunners and blocks a punt.  This year they do the same and it is immediately exploited for a first down.