The Fake Punt

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

On postgame they said his draft profile says he’s right handed but for non QBs that’s usually the default. 

I was just gonna say I didn't know he was left-handed until he threw that pass....as a fellow left-hander, it was nice to see.

49 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

this was the same Bellichek no gunner coverage alignment that led to the punt block TD last year.

Bills were waiting for it, and took advantage.

Exactly. That was definitely not called in the huddle, but also was something the Bills were ready for. I would guess that in practice/meetings this week (every week?), they went over the block last year, and what to do if NE tries that again. I’m assuming that if we were on our own 5, or it was 4th and 20, we would have just gone max protect. But otherwise, the plan was to recognize the situation and pick up the first!

P.S. We ran a similar fake a couple years ago with Logan Thomas throwing. Way better than the old school method of snapping 15 yards to the punter and having him try a pretty long throw for just a few net yards. If I was a special teams coach, I would always try to find an upman who’s played QB at a high level, like Logan Thomas, or Taysom Hill for the Saints. Tebow also played that spot on punts when he was on the Jets.