Ravens Win. Good news for the Bills

peterlaw

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Don't forget if the Bills lose this week, or more realistically in NE in week 16 and the Steelers win this week and against the Colts at home in week 16; the Bills will not be playing week 17 with a chance at #2 seed. The only caveat is the #3 or #4 seed could be in play if Tennessee is able to win in GB. I'm not sure the seed is enough to make a huge difference, it could also be moot. If that's the case the Ravens could be in trouble provided Miami takes care of business.

The Bills need to keep winning for two reasons.  To stay up in the #2 or #3 seed in order to miss a possibility of playing the Chiefs until Round 3.  Very important.  Don't think for a moment they don't realize that.  Next, they need to keep winning for home field against Pittsburgh.  And again, with or without fans, of course that's important as well to stay in the comforts of their own environment for two more weeks in the playoffs.  That alone should give them pretty good incentive against two weak teams the next two weeks.

And lastly, the Bills will be heavy favorites against both the Broncos and Patriots.  Your analogy is like counting on the Ravens to lose to the Jags and Bengals and thus Miami gets in.  But if the Bills would happen to lose one game, they still need to keep playing to stay in front of Tennessee (or if they fall into a tie, to stay with Tennessee to try and jump them again) and that likely will carry on through week 17.  Your scenario is pretty far fetched....but yes, it does make sense.  

8 hours ago, Casey D said:

Given the schedules, it would be a big upset if Colts/Titans, Ravens or Browns are not the three wild card teams.  Cleveland has two easy games, Ravens three.  Miami Raiders and Pats are toast.

Thinking the same.

• The Ravens winning last night was absolutely huge for their playoff chances.  Their last three games (Jacksonville, New York Giants and Cincinnati) are pushovers.  It's very likely they now finish 11-5.
  • Looking at the Titans, Colts and Browns, it's also hard to picture any of them going worse than 2-1 down the stretch.  That would put all of them at 11-5 as well.

At this point, 10-6 very likely won't be enough to squeeze into the AFC playoffs. 

The Raiders will need to hope for a total collapse from one of the above teams, or even a 3-0 finish simply won't be enough to get them in.

That also means that Miami will need a 3-0 finish to get in.  That could be very tough with games against New England, Las Vegas and Buffalo.

On a side note, I'm curious how much value the Bills coaching staff puts on seeding this year (with no fans in the stands).  They can clinch the AFC East with a victory on Saturday against the Broncos.  And if Kansas City beats the Taysom Hill-led Saints, we cannot realistically get to the #1 seed.  Which means the Pats/Dolphins games only have value if they want higher seeding in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

On the radio here in Ohio this morning one of the guys said he wouldn't be concerned with a Bills matchup for the Browns because Josh has been really shaky most of this year.....

I've played around with the ESPN Playoff Machine, and came up with the Bills getting the #2 seed and playing the Browns.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Thinking the same.

• The Ravens winning last night was absolutely huge for their playoff chances.  Their last three games (Jacksonville, New York Giants and Cincinnati) are pushovers.  It's very likely they now finish 11-5.
  • Looking at the Titans, Colts and Browns, it's also hard to picture any of them going worse than 2-1 down the stretch.  That would put all of them at 11-5 as well.

At this point, 10-6 very likely won't be enough to squeeze into the AFC playoffs. 

The Raiders will need to hope for a total collapse from one of the above teams, or even a 3-0 finish simply won't be enough to get them in.

That also means that Miami will need a 3-0 finish to get in.  That could be very tough with games against New England, Las Vegas and Buffalo.

On a side note, I'm curious how much value the Bills coaching staff puts on seeding this year (with no fans in the stands).  They can clinch the AFC East with a victory on Saturday against the Broncos.  And if Kansas City beats the Taysom Hill-led Saints, we cannot realistically get to the #1 seed.  Which means the Pats/Dolphins games only have value if they want higher seeding in the playoffs.

I've played around with the ESPN Playoff Machine, and came up with the Bills getting the #2 seed and playing the Browns.

Good stuff.  10-6 likely will win AFC East however.

15 hours ago, peterlaw said:

Wildcard won’t be easy.  Lots of good teams.  Best options look to be Colts or Dolphins or Raiders.  Worst options Titans, Ravens or Browns (run heavy teams).  But for the Divisional round you couldn’t ask for better than the Steelers.

Completely agree.  We want to play Indy, Vegas or the Tua's. We'll destroy any of those 3. I think if we were to play the Titans again we beat them in a close game. But the Ravens & Browns have rbs and an RB like qb who pose problems. 

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The Bills can go toe to toe with any team in the league. Let alone in the AFC playoffs. 

There isn’t a team that scares me in the AFC. 

Not scared of any of them. But not assuming we automatically beat anyone either. Each game comes down to the Bills playing solid and smart. If we do no question in my mind we can meet KC in AFC championship.
Getting the 2nd seed could really be big. Even without the fans ( painful), I don’t think the AFC is real excited about the cold and JA. That’s a scary combo along with an improving D and ST.