Chris Simms Unbuttoned review of Bills-Chargers

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's a "bend, don't break/do great in the first half, but let every team come back in the 3rd quarter so we either need to come back or hang on by the skin of our teeth," defense.

We're 8-3.  What's the problem?

Shhhhh!🤫 

its the underlying purpose at OBD to build up Allen’s Come from Behind HOF Mantra. A ruse to befuddle and mislead the narrative. Behind it all is the pretense to break Elways’ 4th Quarter CFB record.

Its working.

• Haha (+1) 1

Our defense is not playing lights out these days, but they are getting more 3 and outs and stops than they had been getting earlier in the season and also generating more turnovers.  This is against some pretty high-powered offenses.  I've noticed over the last few years that McD's (and Frazier's?) Bills defenses tend to suffer some early-to-midseason blowouts, then make adjustments and tighten things up down the stretch.  One example that comes to mind is the game against the Saints a couple of years ago when we got blown out and Peterman came in to relieve Tyrod.  The following game was the famous "Peterman game" vs. the Chargers, where, not only did Peterman turn the ball over a record number of times, but out defense got run over too.  At some point after those couple of games, the defense tightened up and we ended up at 9-7 and snuck into the playoffs with a pretty bad roster.  I'm starting to see some of those same adjustments this year too.

I think the 9ers will play us tough, but the Bills are less banged up, have a much better QB, and should be able to win.  We may have to sell out against their run game a bit, but we should be able to limit the Nick Mullens passing offense enough to get the job done.  Weather is a non-factor, as the game is in a dome in Arizona.  They do open the roof sometimes, but even if they do (which is unlikely this time of year and at night), the weather is generally mild.  This should favor the Bills' and their passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks to the OP - it was a good watch.

As regards the D - they aren't 'lights out', and I don't think they will ever be with the current personnel. What they have been, for most of last season, and the last few games, is pretty good, and largely disciplined (I'm not talking about any penalty counts there).

I believe that getting healthy, has been a starting point, especially with Edmunds for example. Schematically the coaches deserve some credit for finding out what works with this group, and finally putting it into practise.

I remember when Peyton won his SB with the Colts. Their D was pretty poor for most of the second half of the season. What happened? They got Bob Sanders back from injury, and all of a sudden they started to play decently again, and did so through the playoffs and SB. Without Sanders return, they might well have not made it, at all. The old adage rang true 'It's not how you start, it's how you finish'.

The Cheatriots have very often looked a mediocre team early on in seasons, yet they improved as those seasons went on, regularly.

The same thing appears to happening, to an extent, with McDermott.

It might be ascribing too much credit, but it could be that they knew the D wasn't going to be where they wanted it at the start of the season, and so they leaned on the Offense - to spectacular effect. Since then, there have been increasing signs that they have been working to a much more balanced team all around.

The different approaches on both sides of the football, in different games, are both somewhat unnerving, yet fascinating to watch, as it looks like they are trying to get the team to a position where they can play just about any type of game, on either side of the football. That hasn't been, and won't be, without some bumps along the way, but if it gets completed, then watch out, because we will then be in a position to take anyone on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, FireChans said:

They allowed buckets full of points and yards versus Arizona and Seattle. Not good. They got a couple turn overs. That was good.

Did you know the Bills defense is 7th in TO’s but still 24th and 25th in yards and points per drive? Imagine how bad you have to be to allow that many yards and points despite being top 7 in TO’s? We all know that turnovers are feast or famine and subject to luck. What happens if they don’t keep appearing? I’ll tell you, the 2011 Bills defense happens.

What is there to dispute about the DVOA stat? It is what it is.

Having a decent game doesn’t mean they don’t kinda suck. Try not to take everything so personally, it’s just a game bud.

Yeah, they allowed a lot of points to Arizona and Seattle. So does everyone.

And you're right that "having a decent game doesn't mean they don't kinda suck." But they didn't just have a decent game. They've had five solid games in a row on defense. But hey, if you want to miss that, it's your business, really. Pretty much everyone else sees it, not just locally but nationally. But again, you wanna be behind the curve, that's up to you.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:28 PM, dave mcbride said:

I am very worried about this game. Despite their record, the Niners impress me (especially last week). Mullins isn’t good, but the rest of the team is.

If they were healthy they'd be Super Bowl contenders.

They're very unhealthy, though. I'm a bit worried too, but not wildly so this game. I do expect them to be able to run on the Bills a bit, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 12/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, billsbackto81 said:

Niners possessions against Rams.

1st possession, 1 play (Fumble)

2nd possession, 3 and out

3rd possession, 5 and out

4th possession, 5 and out

5th possession, 5 and missed FG

6th possession, 3 and out

7th possession, 10 plays for a 48 yd. FG

8th possession, 1 play (Fumble)

9th possession, 3 and out

10th possession, 5 and out

11th possession, 10 plays for a 51 yd. FG

I can see why they'd pick the Niners.  🤣 Shanahan was sure showing off his offensive genius.

I don't expect it to be easy but the Bills should beat a 5-6 team with their back up QB. Their D is starting to come together and players are getting and coming back healthy.

I think they scored a Touchdown in the 1st quarter. Granted, their only one by the offense for the game. They had an interception returned for TD in the 3rd, and added 3 field goals -- 2 in the 4th quarter.

So, no matter how you slice it, their offense was really not that good = 16 points, one decent drive, and the 3 drives for FGs (each drive around 50 yards). In reading the recap, more Rams mistakes than anything special by the 49ers.

I could care less what the national media think and actually enjoy that we are always overlooked. Any other 8-3 team that’s leading their division, getting healthy, improving on D and improving in the run game would be favored overwhelmingly against a 5-6 team missing their starting QB, game changing TE, and relies solely on a running game and short passing attack. Mullins is a game manager at best. We are going to commit to stopping the run and short passing attack and dare Mullins to beat us over the top. It’s not going to happen. We aren’t going to blow them out because we never do but as long as we don’t turn it over a bunch I think this game will be pretty straightforward in the Bills favor.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, they allowed a lot of points to Arizona and Seattle. So does everyone.

And you're right that "having a decent game doesn't mean they don't kinda suck." But they didn't just have a decent game. They've had five solid games in a row on defense. But hey, if you want to miss that, it's your business, really. Pretty much everyone else sees it, not just locally but nationally. But again, you wanna be behind the curve, that's up to you.

If they were healthy they'd be Super Bowl contenders.

They're very unhealthy, though. I'm a bit worried too, but not wildly so this game. I do expect them to be able to run on the Bills a bit, though.

"Yeah, they allowed a lot of points to Arizona and Seattle. So does everyone."

So if everyone does it, how was it good? Is everyone a good defense that allows a ton of yards and points?

"Everybody agrees with me" is not an argument.