One of the (unintended) nice things about Covid-19 is...

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

...that's it's keeping my two older sisters ("liberal sister" and "conservative sister") from being in the same room at the same time.

:thumbsup:

You need to get them quarantined together and live stream it.

• Haha (+1) 2

I think this is a good topic on what good things came from COVID. A couple I can think of:

1. Speeding up telework

2. QRC codes for restaurant menus

3. Better curbside/pick up options for groceries and other stores

4. Shifts in industries to actual meet public demand like movie theaters now offer more dining options

17 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

I think this is a good topic on what good things came from COVID. A couple I can think of:

1. Speeding up telework

2. QRC codes for restaurant menus

3. Better curbside/pick up options for groceries and other stores

4. Shifts in industries to actual meet public demand like movie theaters now offer more dining options

5. More people hopefully won’t go into work when sick now

47 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On the rise in telework -- while some of this is no doubt the slowing economy in general, there is a positive effect on fuel consumption. Even after rebounding from the April shutdowns we are seeing gasoline consumption levels settle in at about a million barrels per day lower than pre-pandemic levels.

U.S. gasoline demand graph

Green New Deal no longer necessary!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

Green New Deal no longer necessary!

Actually ... that's the real news. 

I am by nature an optimist. I worry about climate change (actually, I worry about "global warming" and don't know what they stopped calling it that), although I'm not sure how big a contributor to that human action (burning fossil fuels) is.

But there's incredible improvements in technology in the future. This was a dream until recently; now it's feasible: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/climate/nuclear-fusion-reactor.html

And that's just one solution. So when I hear about "phasing out fossil fuels" I think "that's gonna happen anyway as alternative energies develop." It's not all solar and wind, folks.

That's also the truth about coal. Trump didn't and can't "bring back" coal. It's been superseded by natural gas, which is both cleaner and cheaper. Some of that is fracking.

Trump would have a decent message here if he could get his act together ("through the U.S. energy production boom I oversaw, we were able to substitute clean natural gas for dirty coal and make huge strides in energy independence while helping to protect the environment") but that would've meant throwing those coal mining parts of Pennsylvania and other must-win states under the electoral bus. Under the bus is where they're going, whether thrown there or not. Those folks, sadly, really need to move on and out -- their local economies were built on an industry that is no longer competitive.

But in American politics telling the hard truths is sadly not an option.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On the rise in telework -- while some of this is no doubt the slowing economy in general, there is a positive effect on fuel consumption. Even after rebounding from the April shutdowns we are seeing gasoline consumption levels settle in at about a million barrels per day lower than pre-pandemic levels.

U.S. gasoline demand graph

That's just because I switched from a camaro ss to a tesla.

But really, tesla seems to have hit the turning point. I'm starting to see them everywhere. 

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I am by nature an optimist. I worry about climate change (actually, I worry about "global warming" and don't know what they stopped calling it that)

To hedge their bets in case it turned out the planet was actually cooling.  Since they don't really know beyond the very, very short term.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

(actually, I worry about "global warming" and don't know what they stopped calling it that

They had to stop calling it "Global Warming" b/c stupid republicans and even Trump has been on video for saying it. When they get a snow storm or it's was a cold day out they would be like... 

They were forced to change b.c people like him didn't understand the word Global Warming. Since his followers are extremely stupid they would also repeat the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, westside2 said:

Flu deaths has dropped tremendously 

The flu season has barely started ... flu cases (and deaths) tend to peak in February.  Less commonly, December, January, and March have seen peak flu cases.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

They had to stop calling it "Global Warming" b/c stupid republicans and even Trump has been on video for saying it. When they get a snow storm or it's was a cold day out they would be like... 

They were forced to change b.c people like him didn't understand the word Global Warming. Since his followers are extremely stupid they would also repeat the same thing.

That's probably right. Weather =/= Climate. But try telling that to some people. 

25 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That's probably right. Weather =/= Climate. But try telling that to some people. 

True.  Unless of course there's a hurricane or forest fire.....in which case we have to endure days/weeks of 'Climate Change' hysterics.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1