Can we stop the complaining? it is what it is!

PUNT750

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well now I’m confused. So it’s not winning the game that matters, it’s how you win that determines your record?

Also, nice ad hominem! (Again)

Also, who did KC beat in 2018 that made them so “proven” that they’re back to back losses (one of which came to Indy—who started a backup QB) didn’t count against their record?

Also, you may want to look at the NFL’s website, Indy and Houston aren’t in KC’s

division.

So you’re in the “meh, let’s not worry about putting these guys away, we don’t need more points” camp?

Ok, cool. I disagree. We can leave it at that.

“good” teams? The 7-9 Colts were a “good team” in your estimation?

Reminder: this whole discussion started when you called my post a “stretch”

This is an example of why I ask for consistency in an argument.

The 2018 Chiefs went 12-4 with  2 regular season wins over playoff teams. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards, 50 TDs, and won the regular season MVP. They won a playoff game before losing in the AFCCG in OT to the eventual SB winning Patriots. 

I'd say they were pretty well established as an elite team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, we can't stop complaining.

But yes, it is what it is. (Not that it ever is what it isn't.)

And what it is is a 4 - 2 record, the two losses being against two of the four best teams in football, and the four wins being the Jets and three decent, solid teams.

It's hard to know what direction this is going or what we'll look like in four or five weeks.

I think they will win the division. These next two weeks they can really help themselves. Possibly 6-2 and 4-0 in the division if things go well. But when the off-season comes Beane needs to improve the lines on both sides of the ball. It seems like when the Bills play physical teams they get pushed around and that needs to stop if they want to become a Super Bowl contender.

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The 2018 Chiefs went 12-4 with  2 regular season wins over playoff teams. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards, 50 TDs, and won the regular season MVP. They won a playoff game before losing in the AFCCG in OT to the eventual SB winning Patriots. 

I'd say they were pretty well established as an elite team. 

All of that is true...and my point is that the back to back losses against the Colts and Texas early on, which came in the midst of losing 3 of 5 games, counted all the same,

yet didn’t end up dooming them.

That’s all my point was: there’s no reason to write this team off.

Complaining is what we do.  I admit I'm concerned.  The offense has not shown they can run the ball effectively and the defense has not shown they can stop the run effectively.  That's a bad combination even today when it's allegedly all about the passing game.  I think priority #1 for the rest of the season has to be figuring out those two aspects of the game.  I don't think Brian Daboll's line of thinking will do it ("I have to call better plays.")

I don't know why, but your thread title made me think of this thing my SO does all the time. Complaints that are just words and no substance. I am a believer that once you put that out into the universe, you can't take it back and it just makes the situation worse. Like:

"Mango, the dog is barking in the crate" a couple times in a row....."YES I KNOW! Sometimes she barks for 5 -10 minutes when we put her in. I just put her in. You know this and mentioning it over and over again does literally zero good other than make me more annoyed that 1. the dog is barking and now 2. You just keeping saying "Mango, the dog keeps barking" every 45 seconds. Please bring something to the table other than whatever this moment is"

That actually happened (again) yesterday, so thanks for getting that off my chest...

Deep breaths, back to football...complaints are fine. My SO would stand next to McD and keep reminding him that KC is running all over him. That is really bad. I think this board may have been knee jerk in the calling for the firing of Beane, Frazier, McD at week 6 and 4-2. But most of the commentary has been productive. How did we get here and how do we get out. I do have some concerns about how we fix DT, DE, MLB, CB2, and NCB in one offseason given the money and picks we have already spent on DT, DE, CB2, and MLB. And we are expected to let Milano walk, so we need to replace him. There does not seem to be enough draft picks or money at the moment to do that. 

And what it is sadly is a defenseless defense that was a top 5 a year ago. The additions have underperformed and the talent evaluation caused a reliance on Phillip's, oft-injured Milano and the combination of Murphy and Hughes, who are invisible this year. If people want drink kool-aid and think these facts will go away, I hope you're right. 

9 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Special Teams:

They are special for the Bills.  Great kick-off and Punt coverage. Bass missed a 52 yard FG attempt but made a 48 yard kick.  He's a kid with a great leg.  Our Punter is among the top in the NFL.  He's special and I'm glad the Bills stole him from the Patriots.

Offense:

Josh had an off game.  In the 1st half we should have scored a lot more points.  If you want to find fault with him then do so.  He's our leader and now in games he has additional pressure because we HAVE TO SCORE every possession with that rotten defense.  The teams knows it!

Defense:

We signed 4 Free-Agents on the DL and at LB to take over.  It turns out none were outstanding on their previous teams and can't supply the muscle to make an impact.  IF Ed Oliver is hurt so be it.  I see him as a DE and not a interior lineman who can make a difference.

SIZE:

Maybe it was the all-Blue uniforms but the Bills defense looked small & over-matched in size by the KC offensive players.  Just an observation.

Let's beat the Jets - - GO BILLS

Despite the obvious issues on defense,  i am still thrilled at what i am seeing from Allen from the most critical position on the team.  Beanne can always fix the defense but we have been waIting for over a decade to find the guy at the QB position.  I think once Josh and the Bills get a real RB ,  he and the Bills will just be fine on offensive side of the ball.  Without a 3 down with speed and burst,  teams are just playing safeties further off the line and taking away the middle of the field.  Singletary  scraes no one and was a wasted pick. IMO

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

People please! If the coaching staff doesn’t fix the defense this team is going nowhere in 2020. The only reason the Chiefs didn’t put up 50 on Monday is because they knew they could run the ball at will...and so they did. 

Now after two ugly losses, go back and relook at the first four wins, and tell me that we pounded any one of those opponents. We didn’t!

Good post SoCal.  We did not dominate in any of the first 4 wins.  We didn't play lousy, just not tight mistake free football.  We always look a little loose and sloppy.  (Josh Allen's two fumbles against the Jets in the first half for example.  Big defensive breakdowns against the Fins and Rams.  Stupid decision by Josh taking the sack against the Raiders and giving up some big plays)  Not horrible stuff.  But we never look like a well coached football team in all phases of the game.  We have the offense to overcome when Josh is playing lights out.  But our margin for error is slim.  I think McDermott's coaching is lacking in putting a well prepared mistake free football team on the field game in and game out.  He isn't a clown.  But he needs to step up his game in the second half of the season in a big way.  Otherwise for my money we can look elsewhere.  There is a big difference between being a mediocre to a little above average at times coach (which is what McDermott has been) and a championship coach!!

13 hours ago, nucci said:

it is what it is......I really hate that cliche. it says nothing

That's why I wrote it - I hate it too!

12 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I trust the process.  It is ongoing.   It is a 16 game season.   It's a good roster.  They'll be fine. 

They stayed with the Chiefs (until almost grabbing the game at the end on the near-turnover) using one of the most unorthodox (and, quite frankly, fairly imaginative) defensive game plans I've ever seen (no more than 6 in the box every play, eliminate an electrifying passing game and force them into a run-only offense and create turnovers).   Horrible for the average Bills fan to watch (who expects the D to align to down and distance every down) but had the offense had played up to par (they did not) and they could have gotten a lead, KC would have had to throw the ball a bit into 7 man coverage as time ran down.   It almost worked, but for whatever reason,  Josh and offense weren't very effective all night-- that was the problem.   The defense actually did their job reasonably well (other than not turning over KC's running backs a couple times, which I am sure they were told to do) , given the game plan.   The offense stunk.   I think it was a pretty good defensive game plan compromise against a passing offense that otherwise would have in all likelihood lit them up.  

Trust it. 

Agreed 100%    The D did what it was designed to do - the offense failed.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they will win the division. These next two weeks they can really help themselves. Possibly 6-2 and 4-0 in the division if things go well. But when the off-season comes Beane needs to improve the lines on both sides of the ball. It seems like when the Bills play physical teams they get pushed around and that needs to stop if they want to become a Super Bowl contender.

It's a similar situation to the Bills Super era.  They got pushed around and no all-pro's such as Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, and Andre could change the lines on both sides physicality!

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Despite the obvious issues on defense,  i am still thrilled at what i am seeing from Allen from the most critical position on the team.  Beanne can always fix the defense but we have been waIting for over a decade to find the guy at the QB position.  I think once Josh and the Bills get a real RB ,  he and the Bills will just be fine on offensive side of the ball.  Without a 3 down with speed and burst,  teams are just playing safeties further off the line and taking away the middle of the field.  Singletary  scraes no one and was a wasted pick. IMO

Oh if Thurman could come back with this team!