Do The Reich Thing

Defensive Assessment Thus Far

On 10/14/2020 at 6:48 AM, GunnerBill said:

I know people will groan when I say this.... too many average former Panthers. Klein, Addison and Butler might know the scheme.... but they are adding very little to it at the moment.

Too many way overpaid average former Panthers.  And you can add Star to that list. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ngbills said:

The Bills have given up 23 or more points in4 straight weeks. 

Last year they gave up 23+ only 3 times all year.

The bad 2018 team did it 7 times, but never 4 straight weeks.

In the teams entire history there are not many stretches of giving up 23 points 4 straight weeks. 

What’s so concerning to me is that this is the third season of this defense.  They should be tight and humming along.  Getting beat happens, the other team is getting paid too and we all know that defense is pretty much illegal in the NFL today anyway.  But missing assignments and other mental errors - I’m looking particularly hard at our LBs here - is a real problem.  

The other thing that might be at play here is our offense’s production.  Teams didn’t have to open up their offenses against us the last couple seasons.  They expected a lower scoring game and could be more conservative.  I’ve seen this happen with other teams too.  Always beware of a great looking defense if your offense is poor.  So I think that part of our problem this season is that our defense wasn’t quite as good as we thought it was.  But I don’t think they’re as bad as they looked against the Titans either.

There’s definitely work to be done and we are going to have to do it with less money soon.  I think we’d all be shocked if Allen either didn’t have his 5th year option picked up or got an extension this offseason.  That means one more season of an inexpensive QB and then $30M or so less cap space to work with.  Beane has his work cut out for him. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

What’s so concerning to me is that this is the third season of this defense.  They should be tight and humming along.  Getting beat happens, the other team is getting paid too and we all know that defense is pretty much illegal in the NFL today anyway.  But missing assignments and other mental errors - I’m looking particularly hard at our LBs here - is a real problem.  

The other thing that might be at play here is our offense’s production.  Teams didn’t have to open up their offenses against us the last couple seasons.  They expected a lower scoring game and could be more conservative.  I’ve seen this happen with other teams too.  Always beware of a great looking defense if your offense is poor.  So I think that part of our problem this season is that our defense wasn’t quite as good as we thought it was.  But I don’t think they’re as bad as they looked against the Titans either.

There’s definitely work to be done and we are going to have to do it with less money soon.  I think we’d all be shocked if Allen either didn’t have his 5th year option picked up or got an extension this offseason.  That means one more season of an inexpensive QB and then $30M or so less cap space to work with.  Beane has his work cut out for him. 

All good points here. You watch the tape and its not just a matter of teams getting lucky or making great plays. It is missed tackles, wide open receivers, QB's running without a defender in sight, no pressure, losing the battle at the LOS and on. 

Long term it is concerning. To maintain this offense there will be some big bucks going out to both Allen and Diggs. While the Defense you have White locked up. But then you have upcoming decisions on guys like Milano, not to mention Edmunds and Oliver right behind that. Otherwise you have a lot of aging players in Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, and more. So you have to buy into the defense being successful as a system that can plug and play guys. Just not seeing that right now.

Edited by ngbills
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

How to fix the Defense 

1. Guys with nasty attitudes when tackling 

2. Big nasty Space eaters in the Middle

3. Get man corners opposite of Tre White

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, GunnerBill said:

Nope. Edmunds is the biggest liability at the moment. He bites heavy on every play action fake he follows every designed misdirection and he creates huge holes in the zone scheme.

The Dline is not playing well but we all knew from the moment McDermott arrived here that MLB is critical in his defense. Once you create a hole by dragging that piece out of place the integrity of the zone collapses pretty quickly and there become spaces to attack. 

BITES ON EVERY MISDIRECTION

oh just stacking Lewan on a free release no big deal

just stop

Edmunds is a significant weak link on this team. I know he's "only 22" and 3 years from now he'll be "only 25" or whatever, but I don't think he's a very good linebacker. He's an athletic freak capable of outstanding plays no doubt, but he has terrible instincts and doesn't have any ability to disengage blocks. At his current level of play, I see him as far more of a liability than any sort of asset and I'm looking to address the position early in the draft, if possible.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

just stop

What are you on about? 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What are you on about? 

Watch the tape. It will be instructive.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Watch the tape. It will be instructive.

I have. Edmunds got killed on play action all day. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

just stop

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

just stop

This second video is typical Edmunds. Waiting for the play to come to him until he gets engaged by a blocker and is subsequently caught in the garbage.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I have. Edmunds got killed on play action all day. 

Go ahead and show me. I'll wait.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

This second video is typical Edmunds. Waiting for the play to come to him until he gets engaged by a blocker and is subsequently caught in the garbage.

'Engaged by a blocker'...maybe consider why Lewan is getting a free release into second level. That play is good defense by everyone except 99.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Cool. You will have to wait but I will get to you. 

The Bills were just playing the covid defense Monday night and it kind of worked, nobody seems to have caught the virus.

The defense was following CDC guidelines and maintained safe distance from Tannehill and Henry, and they gave the receivers at least 3-4 yards open space on most pass plays.

Judging by the number of false start penalties and jumping Offside penalties they didn't see to have their heads involved, Hopefully this week they'll be into the game a little bit more.

• Meh 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, GunnerBill said:

Cool. You will have to wait but I will get to you. 

still waiting

39 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Bills were just playing the covid defense Monday night and it kind of worked, nobody seems to have caught the virus.

The defense was following CDC guidelines and maintained safe distance from Tannehill and Henry, and they gave the receivers at least 3-4 yards open space on most pass plays.

Judging by the number of false start penalties and jumping Offside penalties they didn't see to have their heads involved, Hopefully this week they'll be into the game a little bit more.

Prepare for a warning point from Hapless.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

still waiting

Yep. I won't get another chance to go through the all22 until Monday evening. 

On 10/15/2020 at 3:25 PM, GoBills808 said:

'Engaged by a blocker'...maybe consider why Lewan is getting a free release into second level. That play is good defense by everyone except 99.

Wow the guard moved Harry 15 yards on single team block, woof. Oliver is the one doubled, while Jerry handled by the tight end and losing the edge. 

Edmunds with a nice shed and tackle on a three time pro bowl tackle. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

Ed Oliver and AJ Ep are huge liabilities on defense. Quite frankly a disappointment. Edmunds is good, but it’s clearly he is hurt. Milano is undervalued and was missed, he makes plays everywhere. We need a Bruce and LBs.

AJ is a non factor. Ed needs a space eater next to him. Edmunds isn't as good as people think. He isn't a true MLB and he will be paid soon. Is he worth it? Shoulder or no shoulder. He's not effective when the o line gets to the second level. Milano is the better of the 2 lbs for sure