Bills DL changes = improved run D (Joe B Athletic Article)

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Dodson in for Milano.  Didn't he replace Milano vs. Raiders when Matt went out?

Couldn't tell you but in-game I could see why they would do that.  Will be interesting to see how they play it.

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

As a side note, I've been reluctant to subscribe to the Athletic, but a dollar a month for six months and cancel anytime?

Tough times for online content.

I last got a newspaper in my driveway.............

Hard to say. 

I’ve never heard anyone say the Athletic isn’t worth the minimal cost. So far, I’ve just been too lazy to check it out. SO MUCH out there already. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Phillips didn't have preseason. He's coming back from a major injury. I think he's starting to get comfortable again. I felt he was playing like our best DT prior to inury last year. 

Yes he was.  Now he's getting his game shape on, and playing confidently.  He trusts his knee now and he's kicking ass out there.  

Remember how unsung the 1 tech job can be, he might not get his number called as much but thats just fine.

Good post OP

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree the changes helped, but that doesn't explain everything. They were embarrassed by the Rams and played like they had something to prove.

I've always preferred Milano to Edmunds, but I'd rather see Klein on the field than Dodson. Klein is a shade below average, but still much better than Dodson and has more experience.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I agree the changes helped, but that doesn't explain everything. They were embarrassed by the Rams and played like they had something to prove.

I've always preferred Milano to Edmunds, but I'd rather see Klein on the field than Dodson. Klein is a shade below average, but still much better than Dodson and has more experience.

I'm not an expert, but those who would be considered "experts" such as the people who break down film constantly not to mention the Bills coaching staff strongly disagree with this opinion. Are you right? I don't know....but I will side the aforementioned "experts" who seem to think Dodson is doing a remarkable job. 

To the original post: this makes a lot of sense as to why it was improved. Moreover, while it was pointed out about Horrible Harry's conditioning and return from injury in particular, I think the whole Defense is just starting to get into game shape. Whenever the next game is played I think we continue to see incremental improvement. Vegas game showed signs of positive improvement, if it's the Titans I think we see some more, and if it's KC, I think there are flashes but it will be difficult to gauge against the top Offense in the league. Bills are close to KC at this point, but not quite there yet (IMHO). 

A rotation is good to help guys stay fresh. But I think you can also get to cute with it. If you have guys that are clearly better, I want them on the field more. I think we are our own worst enemy sometimes by forcing guys in the game. Last year it was way, way to much Gore. Oliver and Philips are young. Rest here and there is fine but I don’t need them out 50% of the game. Put the best guys on the field at least 80-85% of the time please.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have nothing against AJ Klein, but I'm far from convinced he's a capable NFL-quality LB in the Bills defensive system.

Dodson > Klein

Pretty sure McDermott and Frazier have it written in stone that Edmunds is Their Guy at MLB

as they should. As we have seen when front four do their job Edmunds is perfect good vs run and a perfect physical specimen at middle linebacker in this defense .