Gale Sayers RIP

They talked a lot today about who Sayers was closer to as a player and one caller stated OJ.  That’s who I thought of p, amd unfortunately I was not old enough to ever see Gayle live and missed some of the early years for OJ, but watching the films they had that slide to them and long stride.  They both looked like men playing against boys.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

They talked a lot today about who Sayers was closer to as a player and one caller stated OJ.  That’s who I thought of p, amd unfortunately I was not old enough to ever see Gayle live and missed some of the early years for OJ, but watching the films they had that slide to them and long stride.  They both looked like men playing against boys.

Imo they both had similarities and differences. They both had the glide, great acceleration and outrageously smooth. Sayers was slicker and shiftier and could change direction quicker and in tighter spaces. He was incredible at that. Going one way and in one step off to another without losing much speed. OJ was huge for the era and more powerful, and probably faster but Sayers was fast and probably quicker. Both obviously fantastic talents. Both cut short from injury although Gale was a little earlier in career. 

• Like (+1) 1

I had the chance to spend quite a bit of time with Marv Levy when he was the GM. 

Me: Who is the best player ever?

Marv (immediately): Gayle Sayers

Me: Do you want to think about that for a second?

Marv: No, it’s Gayle Sayers

That’s good enough for me

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1