Bills vs Jets what’s the game plan

Antonio

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Everyone is sleeping on the Jets offense. For good reason on paper. But something tells our D plays down to their level. Bills still win but it might be something like 31-20 giving up more points to the Jets offense then we would like. I'm curious what kind of factor no crowd will have on the defensive units and their energy and the offenses ability to focus better week one. 

Our defense went into plenty of other teams stadiums last year without home field crowd noise and shutdown opposing offenses for the most part. 

20 hours ago, Antonio said:

I would like to read yours. 

On Defense:

Hughes/Addison vs Becton (Rookie LT) 

The experience of both DEs will give Becton nightmares. Keep them both fresh rotating them one after the other in that RDE spot so they can push the rookie to the limit. I don’t care who is in the other side, they can figure it out. 

Stopping the Run 

I don’t think the jets will be able to pass against our D so their game plan will be run and pass to the RBs early. And maybe another 18 short targets to the slot so they can move the ball. 

So our focus has to be to stop Bell at all cost and challenge Darnol to beat us against our strength. 

Jets WR room unimpressive but might be unpredictable, could be a surprise, but won’t be against out secondary. 

On Offense:

Open up the playbook and let it fly early against a weak secondary. 

Pound the rock thru the middle as No Mosley and no Adams will affect their run support. If the running back can pass the LOS we are in for a couple of long runs by either of our running backs. 

Crear spaces in the middle of their D :

1. Spread the offense, use a lot of 4 WR sets or 3WR/1TE but keep a back next to Allen. 
  2. Use swing passes to RB, bubbles to WR, etc... 

That will open up the middle of a weak Jets D. 

Score prediction:

Bills 27 - 10 

It will feel like the Bills could put up 40 but McD likes to sit back with the lead and we will at the middle of the 3rd Q. I don’t like it , hopefully we keep scoring and keep our stack WR room and overall playmakers happy. 

Show up

20 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Believe it or not I think Herndon their TE is going to be the focal point of their offense. 

Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano should be the perfect linebackers to stop that strategy from working.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Our defense went into plenty of other teams stadiums last year without home field crowd noise and shutdown opposing offenses for the most part. 

True. But i just think this could be different. Having no fans in the stands to play for. Plus, the offenses should be able to focus and communicate much better.  

22 hours ago, Logic said:

I do not believe the Bills will have any trouble stopping the Jets offense.

The only way the Bills lose this game, in my opinion, is if the Jets defense is able to confuse and frustrate Josh Allen. Even though the Jets don't have great defensive personnel, a complex blitz package drawn up by Gregg Williams has the potential to cause Allen to have a very bad day. Until Allen proves that he can recognize and defeat heavy blitz packages, teams are going to keep throwing them at him. 

With all that being said:

On defense: Sam Darnold had one of the worst passer ratings in the league last year when pressured. Furthermore, the Jets offensive line hasn't been together long, so testing their communication with line stunts and various blitzes should prove fruitful. The Bills, then, should have a package of blitzes involving Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and Siran Neal. I won't pretend to know what the best coverage schemes would be against the Jets, or whether the Bills should play more man, cover 2, cover 3, etc. I trust McDermott and Frazier already know the answer to that question. In both of the Bills games against the Jets last year, our defense handled their offense fairly easily. I don't see that changing.

On offense: The one consistently negative thing about Gregg Williams defenses is that they are prone to mistakes. Daboll should dial up some misdirection, motions, and creative pass sets to get the Jets defensive players over-thinking. No-huddle, hurry-up offense out of 11 personnel should be the order of the day. Don't let the Jets defense get into its complicated blitz packages. Keep them in basic defense by running no-huddle. Let's see if they are able to successfully cover the trio of Diggs, Beasley, and Brown, and let's see if Allen can consistently find the best matchup and deliver accurate passes.

Again I say, the only way I see the Jets winning this one is if Allen totally melts down. If he doesn't, it should be a sure Bills victory.

Crear pressure is a must! Force Darnold to see ghosts again will be amazing, but I think the Jets will try to play short quick passes like they did last year. But I am comfortable is their game plan is make Crowder be their top playmaker, he is good but not great. In the other hand if Bell is their top playmaker and we have trouble stoping him I will be worried.

I totally forgot about their TE Henderson (?), Darnol will try to hit him to get comfortable but I trust our LBs and Safeties. 

About Gregg complex blitzes sure can be troublesome, but all reports from our defensive players seem to feel like Allen must improve area is his pre snap reads. That makes me feel better about that and I think Allen could be able to scape for big runs if we can pick the blitz on time. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Great thread @Antonio! I've been looking for more Bills vs Jets strategy discussion on here given we're nearly a week away from the season! 

Offense: As others have said, I think running our preferred '11' offense or even 4 WR sets would work to our advantage. I think the Jets defense (even without Mosley and Adams) is stout up the middle and generally good vs the run so we want to space them out as much as possible and lighten the box/force them into their nickel defense. Running hurry up/no huddle as others have also suggested might limit the effect of BountyGate Gregg's complex blitzes as well.

As far as play-calling goes, a pass-heavy game plan with 10+ targets to Diggs in particular seems like the best option. The Jets pass-rush should suffer after losing their Rover (Adams) and I don't believe the secondary has the weapons to match up with Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Knox. To be fair, Ashtyn Davis and Marcus Maye (if healthy) seem to have had very strong camps (McDougal has had more mixed reviews from what I gather), but there should be some soft zones to target and Allen should have some time to sit in the pocket. 

Defense: I think the key is limiting Crowder first and then Herndon as well. Crowder moved the chains on us frequently last season and I'd want to force Darnold and a different WR to beat us. Our defensive line by committee approach should have the edge on the newly-formed Jets O-line and we'll start to fatigue and dominate them in the 4th quarter. Having spent some time on the Jets Nation forum in recent weeks, it does sound like the Jets are using Bell more at WR so might be something to watch out for but generally I'm not worried about Bell or their run game. I do think Darnold gets into a good rhythm when he has time to throw and can be very accurate in the short-intermediate game, we just have to force him into making mistakes and take away the football. Jets are getting healthier, will be interested to see how many snaps Mims gets and whether he'll be able to make an impact. 

Week 1 in 2020 after the weirdest off-season ever...I think both teams will look a bit rusty and the turnover battle could be even more significant than usual. However, I think the Bills have the better coaching and the better roster. 24-13 Bills. 

Thanks man! I’m also looking for things to read and chat about to try and get to season form. By this time we should really be totally invested and somehow I still feel we are months away to start... that’s crazy! 

Love the no huddle plan, I feel like Allen excels with it. When we play fast and he gets into a groove he shows he all star potential. Pulse it will keep the jets offense honest and easier to read.

I am really exited about our new offense, I think it has a great range of tools and Dabs can get creative enough so we can finally see a XXI century offense. Don’t get me wrong, I still apreciare smash mouth, up the gut, bone barking runs, but I would totally love to see a hand full of games where Allen, Diggs and Brown put up a show! 

I totally forgot about Herdon, he is good but I trust our safety tandem and our LBs to cover him and Bell. 

I hope McD remembers the swing pass they threw to Bell all game long last year, it was really obvious as soon as that play started (Bell was at either side of Darnol on shotgun and he would just cross Darnol’s back and swing or too the opposite sideline) it was really frustrating to me that they never adjusted that, nobody followed him and it was a good 10+ yards play for them. 

• Like (+1) 1