Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I can see how you could think I was insinuating the virus was attacking liberals since I did not spell it out for you. The virus is attacking people who are not behaving properly, especially those who refused to socially distance. In the past 60 days liberals have many times shown that socially distancing is not a priority. I know there are some conservatives who act dumb but that group is dwarfed by the liberals who act improperly 

Red state Covid increases don't support this claim.

As for your initial claim that I first responded to. Since you seem to have forgotten it and others didn't even bother reading it, here's what you said:

If you take out of the deep blue sections of country we are doing great at limiting Covid

This is what you said. And it's incorrect, plain and simple.

Again, as an example, I don't think ANYONE believes Mississippi, Alabama or South Carolina are liberal Bastilles by any definition. Those 3 states had a combined 159 deaths yesterday, which is almost 5 times more than NY, NJ and Massachusetts combined despite those 3 states being liberal and MUCH more populated than the 3 aforementioned deeply red states.

Florida, Texas, Arizona and Georgia combine for over 1 million cases and 16,668 deaths. Only 9 countries in the world have more deaths since this Pandemic began than those 4 states.

Feel free to admit you were mistaken about your false statement at any point :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I do a great job building relationships. It’s what I do for a living. 

I never said you called them dumb. Why I asked how you tell them their question is dumb. 

So I’ll ask again. How do you let them know that their question is dumb. 

Depends on the student or situation.

Sometimes it's the simple roll of the eyes.

Sometimes I'll tell his/her neighbor to tell him/her.

Sometimes I will simply say "stupid question."

Let me ask you something. I challenge you to answer honestly rather than make a personal attack:

If you provide instructions on a task to be completed both orally and in writing on a whiteboard and modelled an example of how to do said task with the class, do you think the question "wait, what are we supposed to do?" from a capable learner without any learning disabilities warrants an answer?

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Red state Covid increases don't support this claim.

As for your initial claim that I first responded to. Since you seem to have forgotten it and others didn't even bother reading it, here's what you said:

If you take out of the deep blue sections of country we are doing great at limiting Covid

This is what you said. And it's incorrect, plain and simple.

Again, as an example, I don't think ANYONE believes Mississippi, Alabama or South Carolina are liberal Bastilles by any definition. Those 3 states had a combined 159 deaths yesterday, which is almost 5 times more than NY, NJ and Massachusetts combined despite those 3 states being liberal and MUCH more populated than the 3 aforementioned deeply red states.

Florida, Texas, Arizona and Georgia combine for over 1 million cases and 16,668 deaths. Only 9 countries in the world have more deaths since this Pandemic began than those 4 states.

Feel free to admit you were mistaken about your false statement at any point :thumbsup:

You keep accusing my of cherry picking data but you literally discuss NY and NJ based on yesterday and then try to win the comparison for FL and Texas based on the whole year, where if you combine all four conservative states you are not half way to NY  For the whole year the death traps are Liberal, on the newer deaths it is more spread out because so many liberal places are still in lockdown while conservatives have gone back to work. But I guess we will never agree when you are comparing the worst days for conservatives to the good days of liberals. 

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Let me ask you something. I challenge you to answer honestly rather than make a personal attack:

If you provide instructions on a task to be completed both orally and in writing on a whiteboard and modelled an example of how to do said task with the class, do you think the question "wait, what are we supposed to do?" from a capable learner without any learning disabilities warrants an answer?

Yes but I also do not have the same students as you therefore I will give you benefit of doubt 

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I do a great job building relationships. It’s what I do for a living. 

I never said you called them dumb. Why I asked how you tell them their question is dumb. 

So I’ll ask again. How do you let them know that their question is dumb. 

Seriously?

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How do you tell your students they’ve asked a dumb question?  And I have a HUGE problem with a teacher telling impressionable children they are dumb. I manage a team of adults some of whom I’ve worked with for 20 years and have a very close friendship outside of work with. I would NEVER even insinuate any question they asked was dumb. 

Sure seems that's what you imply I do with this little rant that follows the initial question.

If the people you work with are snowflakes, maybe you need to work harder solidifying your relationship with them so you can be more intellectually honest with them if they say or ask something dumb.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

A conversation that needs to happen:

At some point someone at some school somewhere is going to test positive for Covid.  At that point someone in a place of power is going to mandate that your child be forcibly taken from your home and placed in a government facility in order to group quarantine.

How will you react?

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously?

Sure seems that's what you imply I do with this little rant that follows the initial question.

If the people you work with are snowflakes, maybe you need to work harder solidifying your relationship with them so you can be more intellectually honest with them if they say or ask something dumb.

You say a lot of really dumb stuff.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Let’s get the personal attacks out of the way first. ?

You would fail miserably outside of academia. Horrible for you to say “stupid question” to a kid in front of his peers.  To tell his neighbors to tell him he’s stupid? “Simply” roll your eyes?  Terrible teaching/management skills.  

Now to your question.  Yes it absolutely warrants an answer!  It’s obviously not clear to the student. Look inward man. What’s 100% clear to you may not be clear to him.  Restate the task. Not repeat but restate in a different way. Re-explain the task. And then ask him/her “does that make better sense?”  

To be a great teacher (you) or manager (me) you have to have high levels of empathy and patience. You appear to have low levels of both. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You would fail miserably outside of academia. Horrible for you to say “stupid question” to a kid in front of his peers.  To tell his neighbors to tell him he’s stupid? “Simply” roll your eyes?  Terrible teaching/management skills.  

Now to your question.  Yes it absolutely warrants an answer!  It’s obviously not clear to the student. Look inward man. What’s 100% clear to you may not be clear to him.  Restate the task. Not repeat but restate in a different way. Re-explain the task. And then ask him/her “does that make better sense?”  

To be a great teacher (you) or manager (me) you have to have high levels of empathy and patience. You appear to have low levels of both. 

One of my job functions is instructing students during their clinical rotations, I could just imagine the hell I would get if I called a student stupid or dumb, if they messed up then it’s my mess up. I remember when a coworker suggested pay for working with the students, the suggestion was promptly dismissed because where I work is a teaching hospital and part of the job description is teaching students. What the academic school teachers seem to forget is teaching is a just one the many functions/tasks of many job positions in the real world. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You keep accusing my of cherry picking data but you literally discuss NY and NJ based on yesterday and then try to win the comparison for FL and Texas based on the whole year, where if you combine all four conservative states you are not half way to NY  For the whole year the death traps are Liberal, on the newer deaths it is more spread out because so many liberal places are still in lockdown while conservatives have gone back to work. But I guess we will never agree when you are comparing the worst days for conservatives to the good days of liberals. 

Maybe you meant something different from what you said.

Maybe you just don't communicate your thoughts very well.

You directly state that, and I quote "we are doing great at limiting Covid" if not for those damn liberals--last part was my own interpretation, admittedly, but was it wrong?

You're talking in the present. You're talking about how well we're controlling a disease that gripped our country. For that reason, the overall numbers matter much less than the recent numbers because of the present participle you chose to use.

Are you with me so far?

Did you mean something else? If so, let me know.

But because of that statement, I responded because you've apparently been sleeping under a tree.

It's simply a fact that MORE Republican states are seeing steady to alarming rises of both Coronavirus cases AND deaths over the last couple months than Democratic states.

So your initial implication--if this is what you actually meant because it's what you said--that Republican states have everything under control while liberal states have let things fall apart is patently false.

But keep doubling down.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You say a lot of really dumb stuff.

As do you, my friend  :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Today alone our country had over 70,000 cases and 1,200+ deaths.

That's significantly worse than what we had in March.

Your last paragraph is hilarious. 

I guess you know better than anyone.

Here. I think you should read this:

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise-Campaign-Established-Knowledge/dp/0190865970/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T9VWM9XHUEPA&dchild=1&keywords=the+death+of+expertise&qid=1595478723&sprefix=The+death+%2Caps%2C317&sr=8-1

The high was mid April. I believe 2500 deaths per day. 
down down down from the peak. 
little pop now but that’s what happens when you reopen I guess 

thanks China!

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Shocking. This will also inevitably negate much of what's to follow:

You have zero clue what my teaching or management skills are. 

Frankly, I'm not even explaining anything more about my classroom to you because clearly you believe whatever world you've created for yourself without the need to interact with kids is everyone else's world.

What's disappointing is that I was hoping you'd engage in a civil discussion as I answered a question you asked and I answered with zero hostility.

You didn't.

I don't know you personally--or care to know to--but that says something about you.

Task was explained well and is written concisely and clearly on the whiteboard.

I really question how much you interact with people and how much you actually pay attention to them.

High levels of empathy and patience.

You're 100% right.

You're missing what else a teacher really is, though.

And I'm more and more surprised as I read your posts. 

You coddle too much. But then again, you work with adults. I work with kids ages 15-18. 

Big difference.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yes but I also do not have the same students as you therefore I will give you benefit of doubt 

I'm not even going to judge that you always think that question warrants an answer.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Shocking. This will also inevitably negate much of what's to follow:

You have zero clue what my teaching or management skills are. 

Frankly, I'm not even explaining anything more about my classroom to you because clearly you believe whatever world you've created for yourself without the need to interact with kids is everyone else's world.

What's disappointing is that I was hoping you'd engage in a civil discussion as I answered a question you asked and I answered with zero hostility.

You didn't.

I don't know you personally--or care to know to--but that says something about you.

Task was explained well and is written concisely and clearly on the whiteboard.

I really question how much you interact with people and how much you actually pay attention to them.

High levels of empathy and patience.

You're 100% right.

You're missing what else a teacher really is, though.

And I'm more and more surprised as I read your posts. 

You coddle too much. But then again, you work with adults. I work with kids ages 15-18. 

Big difference.

I'm not even going to judge that you always think that question warrants an answer.

I have a great clue about your teaching style!  You just told us. You demean them. You never ever tell anyone they are stupid or ask stupid questions. 

I did engage in a civil discussion. I answered your question in a very civil manner. You just didn’t like my answer.  

Coddle?  No I’m empathetic. Based on how you handle a child asking for clarification tells me an awful lot about you and your teaching skills. Anyone who thinks calling a child stupid is a good way to work with children is in the wrong profession.  

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously?

I pity the students that have a teacher who thinks any question they ask is dumb. You’re right. Stay quarantined. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I have a great clue about your teaching style!  You just told us. You demean them. You never ever tell anyone they are stupid or ask stupid questions. 

I let them know they're asking a stupid question, for one reason or another.

If you think people shouldn't be informed when they're saying something stupid despite knowing better, you must be a lazy manager.

I did engage in a civil discussion. I answered your question in a very civil manner. You just didn’t like my answer.  

You mean where you immediately ignored my challenge of not making a personal attack by beginning with one?

Yeah. Great job with that. 

You might know something about managing adults.

You know very little of teaching kids... or kids in general, for that matter.

Yet, your choice very oddly is to define what the profession should look like.

Coddle?  No I’m empathetic. Based on how you handle a child asking for clarification tells me an awful lot about you and your teaching skills. Anyone who thinks calling a child stupid is a good way to work with children is in the wrong profession.  

You clearly NEVER interact with kids. :lol:

That kid isn't the one asking for clarification.

That kid is the one who wasn't paying attention or was sleeping or daydreaming or...

That's the kid I described before. The fact that you didn't actually get that tells me you've spent little to no time with teenagers.

I pity the students that have a teacher who thinks any question they ask is dumb. You’re right. Stay quarantined. 

And I pity the student who gets a teacher like you who clearly has no business teaching kids because he clearly hasn't the foggiest idea of who they are.

You're right.

Stay away from kids. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Maybe you meant something different from what you said.

Maybe you just don't communicate your thoughts very well.

You directly state that, and I quote "we are doing great at limiting Covid" if not for those damn liberals--last part was my own interpretation, admittedly, but was it wrong?

You're talking in the present. You're talking about how well we're controlling a disease that gripped our country. For that reason, the overall numbers matter much less than the recent numbers because of the present participle you chose to use.

Are you with me so far?

Did you mean something else? If so, let me know.

But because of that statement, I responded because you've apparently been sleeping under a tree.

It's simply a fact that MORE Republican states are seeing steady to alarming rises of both Coronavirus cases AND deaths over the last couple months than Democratic states.

So your initial implication--if this is what you actually meant because it's what you said--that Republican states have everything under control while liberal states have let things fall apart is patently false.

But keep doubling down.

giphy.gif

As do you, my friend  :beer:

That was a lot of words to say you are only looking at recent cases and only regarding the State color, not the area color. If you restrict your data that way, then you are right. I think that looking at the cases more locally is important, not to mention the openness of businesses. I though certainly understand how your students might get lost in your meandering directions, I find being succinct works well with high school kids 

Hurting Americans to Beat Trump

Democrat governors are not giving up their lockdowns no matter how much they hurt people’s lives. With a total lack of irony, they ignore the real science calling for reopening the economy and schools, while at the same time they label “deniers” anyone who disagrees with fake climate change science.

Science is defined as “the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.”

Samples of science: Don’t wear masks, wear masks; coffee will kill you, coffee is good for you; chocolate will kill you, chocolate is good for you; fatty foods will kill you, carbs will kill you; the world will freeze in a nuclear winter, the oceans will bubble away as “kettle’s on the boil, [when] we’re so easily [led astray].”

Even though science does not always live up to its reputation, a decision must be made and when the preponderance of the science says open, you should open.

Governors, who had no problem sending peoples’ mothers, fathers, grandmothers, and grandfathers, the highest risk age group, to certain death alone in nursing facilities while preventing their loved ones the opportunity to even say, “Goodbye.” Later, they unabashedly, took a victory lap while bragging to the world how successful they were. Now, they insist on quarantining the least at-risk segment of the population by keeping schools closed.

The risk to school-age children COVID represents is infinitesimal, but they claim schools should stay closed, “for the children.” The median age of those succumbing to the virus is 78 years old. 99.96% are adults. Nothing matters, fulsome Democrats fully plan to keep the economy shut down through November 3, 2020.

Many children who took online classes during the pandemic never even signed onto a computer for classes. It is a function of motivation and just as many adults cannot work effectively from home, so it is with youth. Sitting in your living room with mommy’s laptop is not a situation conducive to learning. In addition, going to school has as much to do with social interaction as it does with acquiring knowledge.

Yet, knowing all this, Democrats are making a conscious decision to hurt our children’s lives and future prospects to gain a presidency. And the left pretends they are on the side of all that is right and just when ironically, they will do anything not right and unjust to get what they want. And they want closures until the election.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/07/hurting_americans_to_beat_trump.html#ixzz6T7RueYhY

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Lots of districts in Trump country are starting out online only or a mix of online and in school.

This shouldn't be political.

You're right ( for once) it shouldn't be political and schools should all open. If everyone believes the science, the science says they should open, for many reasons.

2 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

If everyone believes the science, the science says they should open, for many reasons.

Can you direct me to the science that has observed a state/country with with at least a 10% positive rest rate while re-opening schools?

Genuinely curious. 

As far as I know some states in the US will be the guinea pigs for this.

• Haha (+1) 1