Denver & Washington swap picks

KRT88

Ahhhh the Redskins...the classic example of how to do well in fan interest and yet maintain a poor product on the field.  Things wont change this year either.

309698[/snapback]

well i am a die hard bills fan through and through,but before we start dissing the redskins and their un orthodox ways lets remember that the skins have won a few championships and did destroy us head to head in the kelly glory years in the superbowl.the redskins like the raiders have always been a team that trades draft picks and "buys"seasoned veterans on their championship "runs".i dont know why everybody is so weak in the knees to get a 1st round draft pick back in a weak draft.td already got our starting qb with our pick this year,and although jp did break his leg he did get alot of snaps in the preseason and at the end of the season to put him well ahead of this years draft class,plus added incentive he knows he has been handed the "keys" to a good team with a pretty good defense.of course washington would give the 9th pick to get a nate clements. that is a play right out of the george steinbrenner playbook,grab a probowler on the verge of real stardom for a high draft pick that can or cannot pan out.washington may be down now but i doubt for long! go bills in'05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason the Skins wanted another first round pick in this draft.

Do they think there close to challenging for the NFC title .

Or are they using it for another possible trade (corner) on draft day.

I'm sure they would take the 9 in a heart beat, considering how rich the draft is with db's.  I could see td and tm trading it away to acquire more picks in the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd.

309700[/snapback]

The problem with all these "stockpile draft choice" scenarios is: how are you going to pay for these guys??

The Bills are $1.2 million under the cap now. Even if you restructure MW, they don't have much cap room to sign multiple second and third round picks, let alone first rounders.

Who is running the asylum over in Washington? They essentailly gave up as much as we did for Losman when they don't even know who will be available at #25 in a draft that is considered short on upper tier talent. Another deal has to be in the works for this to make any sense.

I think the Raiders are rumored to be in trade talks with the Redskins. The Raiders are offering Phillip B. (cb) to the Redskins for picks.

309729[/snapback]

They said the Skins don't think Buchanon is worth a first round pick.

Didn't say anything about Clements.

Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick,'' Gibbs said. ``Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario.''

That's not to say the Redskins weren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

In essence, Tuesday's statement was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade, and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Regardless, the trade with Denver would seem to dampen any possibility for a Buchanon deal, given that the Redskins can now obtain both a receiver and a cornerback in the first round. The top draft prospects from both positions have visited Redskins Park in recent weeks.

The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

well i am a die hard bills fan through and through,but before we start dissing the redskins and their un orthodox ways lets remember that the skins have won a few championships and did destroy us head to head in the kelly glory years in the superbowl.the redskins like the raiders have always been a team that trades draft picks and "buys"seasoned veterans on their championship "runs".i dont know why everybody is so weak in the knees to get a 1st round draft pick back in a weak draft.td already got our starting qb with our pick this year,and although jp did break his leg he did get alot of snaps in the preseason and at the end of the season to put him well ahead of this years draft class,plus added incentive he knows he has been handed the "keys" to a good team with a pretty good defense.of course washington would give the 9th pick to get a nate clements. that is a play right out of the george steinbrenner playbook,grab a probowler on the verge of real stardom for a high draft pick that can or cannot pan out.washington may be down now but i doubt for long! go bills in'05

309724[/snapback]

True, but that was before Lil' Danny Snyder bought the team and decided to run it like a fantasy football franchise...

The problem with all these "stockpile draft choice" scenarios is: how are you going to pay for these guys??

The Bills are $1.2 million under the cap now.  Even if you restructure MW, they don't have much cap room to sign multiple second and third round picks, let alone first rounders.

309728[/snapback]

How do you figure? We only need somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 mil right now to cover the max rookie pool and 2nd and 3rd round choices don't cause significant cap hits.

There are plenty of ways to free up cap space, which TD has alluded to numerous times over the past couple of months.

It's now official: The Washington Redskins are the dumbest team in the NFL. Snyder is the biggest tool of an owner, and Gibbs is going to stumble back into retirement a complete failure, with his tail between his legs.

Trading away your #1 pick (Which Denver clearly and wisely believes will be a high one) in 2006 to get ANOTHER first round pick in this middle-heavy draft is absurd.

And you know why they did it? Snyder is a sucker for hype, and he wants to draft Matt Jones. I'll bet anything that's who they take if someone doesn't leapfrog them. Snyder is THAT easy to read.

How do you figure?  We only need somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 mil right now to cover the max rookie pool and 2nd and 3rd round choices don't cause significant cap hits.

There are plenty of ways to free up cap space, which TD has alluded to numerous times over the past couple of months.

309755[/snapback]

I agree, and you also have to consider that all of these scenarios of stockpiling draft picks involve a trade of Henry and/or Clements. Trading them will result in a fairly significant cap savings which will probably be enough to sign their picks and have some room left over.

And you know why they did it? Snyder is a sucker for hype, and he wants to draft Matt Jones. I'll bet anything that's who they take if someone doesn't leapfrog them. Snyder is THAT easy to read.

309760[/snapback]

Good call, I can see that happening.

Washington has to be trading one of those 1st rounders for a player. Why on earth would you make this trade before draft day otherwise? What if there is a run on the position you want? They basically have no draft picks to trade to move up if there is a run unless teams will accept draft picks from the 2007 draft.

I have to agree with you BuffaloRebound, there's got to be something in the works. Although this was shocking news I don't think anyone can determine if this was a good or a bad move. It is all going to depend on how they are going to use these picks and with what players. I'm afraid that you're right on the money nodnarb. Oh well, there is other TE/WR/slash players that we can get and for a lot lower of a draft pick too I might add. TCU's TE Cody McCarty is one suggestion that would only probably cost a 5th rd pick.

The hot rumor has Washington picking a CB at #9 to replace Fred Smoot and then using the #25 pick on an offensive player, possibily even a QB. Jason Campbell is thought to be a player they very much like. This came from Chris Mortenson.

Somehow I find the QB thing tad strange because I loike Ramsey, but what do I know?

How do you figure?  We only need somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 mil right now to cover the max rookie pool and 2nd and 3rd round choices don't cause significant cap hits.

309755[/snapback]

I disagree...second round picks still command significant salary & bonus levels. Look at TH. The general consensus is his $1.25 million cap hit is laughably low.

Here are the cap numbers on other recent 2nd/3rd round picks:

Josh Reed $855,000

Chris Kelsay $723,750

Ryan Denny $692,500

Coy Wire $990,000

Based on these contracts and factoring inflation, I'll bet a second round pick today commands at least $1 million in cap space each.

With only $1.2 million in cap room to play with, they'll have to restructure MW just to get enough to pay the draft choices we now have...let alone any additional choices that might be acquired via trade.