Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Their employer is saying they can protest.  Why do you refuse to see that?

You said an NFL player is not the same as an hourly worker at Jiffy Lube, i asked a question based on that statement...

What is it I am refusing to see?

8 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

100% agree with the sentiment of your post, but this is not a constitutional matter, and I think it just gets in the way to argue that. These players are on the clock, and getting paid for their time (very handsomely). Obviously if the NFL is cool with it then it's a non-issue, but the 1st amendment doesn't really play here.

I mean, sure they "have the right" to do it, but the NFL "has the right" to sanction, penalize, or fire them for it. Obviously they won't do that though. It was easy when it was just kaep, now it's half the league or more. So now, even though this isn't a constitutional matter, I think it's more closely likened to a strike. The league can't really live without all the star players, so they have to deal with it.

Thank you for your service!

I agree ! But let’s not forget that market and revenue will dictate the road the owners will take , yes it’s an entertainment to us but it’s also a business , also IMO in 2016 people just didn’t like Kaep I think this time ( especially what happened to G Floyd ) there will be more people on board with kneeling 

Edited by Putin

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

You said an NFL player is not the same as an hourly worker at Jiffy Lube, i asked a question based on that statement...

I said nothing about a Jiffy Lube worker.  But when it comes to comparing about the ability to protest, no there is no difference in privilege.  The league has said they support it so the players can do so.  If Jiffy Lube says the same their workers can do so as well.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

One is a highly skilled, hard to replace, multi-millionaire with the attention of hundreds of millions of people. The other changes your oil. They are quite different in terms of their audience.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

One is a highly skilled, hard to replace, multi-million with the attention of hundreds of millions of people. The other changes your oil. They are quite different

So, in turn one has more privilege than the other?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I said nothing about a Jiffy Lube worker.  But when it comes to comparing about the ability to protest, no there is no difference in privilege.  The league has said they support it so the players can do so.  If Jiffy Lube says the same their workers can do so as well.

So, again, what am I refusing to see?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

One is a highly skilled, hard to replace, multi-million with the attention of hundreds of millions of people. The other changes your oil. They are quite different

And if a Jiffy Lube owner said you can protest things at work than you can.

So, in turn one has more privilege than the other?

So, again, what am I refusing to see?

You say NFL players are more privileged. No they are not. Not on the protest issue. Their boss says they can protest.  If a Jiffy Lube boss says his employees can so can they.  Your issue is with the bosses, not the employees.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Putin said:

How many people here can peacefully protest at work ?

How many people have to watch a military presentation of the national anthem before they start working? You can't say keep politics out of the workplace when in this case the players are forced to witness a political display. You can't have it both ways. Either you accept that politics is part of sports or you take it out entirely. It's telling that some people have been fine with the owners allowing full on military displays for years, but the minute one player doesn't support it it's suddenly a matter of "politics in sports."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

And if he says you can’t then he’s obviously a racist 

Edited by Putin

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You say NFL players are more privileged. No they are not. Not on the protest issue. Their boss says they can protest.  If a Jiffy Lube boss says his employees can so can they.  Your issue is with the bosses, not the employees.

where did I say NFL players are more privileged? Someone made a post saying there is a difference in the two, implying one is more important than the other. In turn I asked if one was more privileged...

Just now, Putin said:

And if he says you can’t then he’s obituary a racist 

Don’t even try to suggest I’m racist pal.  I have a minority daughter that I’ve see deal with crap.  

No, the Jiffy Lube owner makes his decision and his employees than have a choice to comply or not.

where did I say NFL players are more privileged? Someone made a post saying there is a difference in the two, implying one is more important than the other. In turn I asked if one was more privileged...

Good, then we agree.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

How many people have to watch a military presentation of the national anthem before they start working? You can't say keep politics out of the workplace when in this case the players are forced to witness a political display. You can't have it both ways. Either you accept that politics is part of sports or you take it out entirely. It's telling that some people have been fine with the owners allowing full on military displays for years, but the minute one player doesn't support it it's suddenly a matter of "politics in sports."

Why is military has to be politicized? 
Military doesn’t belong to any political party they risk their lives to protect all of us regardless of our political views , we should all stand with our military ?? !!!

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Don’t even try to suggest I’m racist pal.  I have a minority daughter that I’ve see deal with crap.  

No, the Jiffy Lube owner makes his decision and his employees than have a choice to comply or not.

Good, then we agree.

I wasn’t talking about you , I don’t even know you , I was talking about the Jiffy Lube owner 

I’m sorry if you thought that !!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Putin said:

Military doesn’t belong to any political party they risk their lives to protect all of us regardless of our political views , we should all stand with our military ?? !!!

And every single protester has said they respect the military and that their protest is not directed at them.

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

I agree ! But let’s not forget that market and revenue will dictate the road the owners will take , yes it’s an entertainment to us but it’s also a business , also IMO in 2016 people just didn’t like Kaep I think this time ( especially what happened to G Floyd ) there will be more people on board with kneeling 

Fair, but as I stated in a previous post, because of covid, I don't think anyone will be able to point at this with any conviction and say "its the kneeling that cost us". That makes this the exact right time.

2016 and 2020 are also very different socially, as you alluded to. As a big military supporter and a red-blooded Patriot I was against it 4 years ago but have become more informed in the time since. If you don't pay enough attention it can be tough to really understand what's going on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

You think the military has mega contracts with the NFL because they just love celebrating America? It's a recruitment tool. And I don't have a problem with it, it's their right to advertise as they see fit. But by the same token the players have the right to silently protest during the political display. Once you open that door you can't only let certain people through it. It's not like silently kneeling is taking away from the ceremony itself. Feel free to stand and stare at the flag if it makes you feel better. Don't tell others how they're supposed to act during the national anthem.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Good, then we agree.

Agree on what? You are having an argument with your self? If you weren't the original poster I presented the question to, exactly why did you interject and proceed to put words in my mouth?

You want to grandstand on your soapbox, do you, but leave me out of it.

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

This sensitive subject gives whitey an upset tummy. Shocking as it may be, people still don’t get it. 

There's your real racism folks. Any opinion that doesn't agree with this is labeled.

The country ain't perfect. But the number one determining factor in peoples own fate is themselves.

Unfortunately this society has degraded into not spanking kids, not teaching them about authority and negative consequences. Not valuing teachers and education.

And then people wonder why they are poor?

Trust me I know. I never made more than 18 grand a year, grew up in clothes from the salvation army.

I had to decide to pay bills or eat. I couldn't go to the doctor.

It was the choices I made as an adult that caused it to drag on into my twenties and thirties.Once I decided to make a change, get educated, things changed. And yes I got less assistance and almost none at all cause of my skin color.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1