Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

57 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don’t care if they kneel or not, but remember the backlash it caused in 2016 and the drop in tv ratings.

No matter what you or I say, people are going to be alienated over this and is the NFL gonna be prepared for another ratings drop?

We shall see.

This is the part that people miss. The NFL isn’t out to do the right thing. The league is all about revenue, and positioning themselves to be the premier sports league for years to come. The first protests damaged their product, so they put an end to it. I think the league is taking a gamble to position themselves for the future, nothing more. It isn’t about the players. They see everything that’s going on as an opportunity to become more hip like the NBA, and appeal to younger fans. They are afraid of ending up on the wrong side of history, and don’t want to become a league of older fans like MLB, with no future fan base. They are basically saying they accept losing one demographic, in hopes of picking up others. It will be interesting to see if it actually works, or this really hurts the league again. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Because Brees came across as judge, jury and executioner with his pompous and self-serving comments to try to make him look better, with him making it sound like anyone who disagreed with him and acted differently than him regarding the flag and anthem was disrespectful, wrong, and unpatriotic. That is fiction, prejudicial, ignorance and arrogance, and  causes division  to those watching and teammates who believe differently, as to many kneelers, non-conformists, etc, they feel they want that same right to kneel, feel, express or act differently without criticism, disrespect and threats against them. Instead Brees' comments made him look like a fool. I would never chastise but respect a saluter who believes the flag is a symbol of the heroes and the good about America IF they gave that same respect to other views and opinions and did not disrespect them..

I would respect those who kneeled too and felt it was their right to do such peacefully, if that kneeling or flag represented to them something else, because of oppression, racism, or all the bad in the country that they hope is fixed. Protesting and not doing the politically correct thing can open ears, eyes and minds! It's called keeping those in power in check, and holding them accountable for wrongs for the status quo that is not working but hurting others. Some might argue, "there is a time and place to do that, but not on tv and in sports." Well, ok, then stop playing the anthem in sports and telling athletes, viewers how to think, act and feel, to please the government who paid for the anthem in sports venues and demanded standing for it. Get politics and agendas out of sports, for both sides then, not just for one side. Otherwise, I will respect all, kneelers and saluters, if they respect the other!

I will never respect a saluter that CALLS OUT and says kneelers are not to be respected, but never respect a kneeler that CALLS OUT and says saluters are disrespectful or bad either. That is where my problems are. Otherwise, both I would respect, as both are likely trying to unite the country in different ways. Brees apologized. So, that is a start. 

So to "Putin" the answer is, because Brees disrespected the others. Had he just stated what the flag meant to him and why he stood for it or saluted, great! But, to also state or suggest the others were disrespectful and he would never respect them, how disrespectful and prejudicial is that? He does not know a darn think why each of  the others are doing what they are doing, as each may have their own specific beliefs and reasons. They could love their country as much as or more than him, by wanting equality for all, and to end the bad things that this country does to those who look, act or feel different. Saluting the flag or standing does not make one a good person, nor does kneeling. Its the other actions, inactions and words they do their entire lives that is more indicative of who one really is... 

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying , and I think that both sides should be respected but it seems that most who are in support of kneeling don’t even give a crap about the other side , also what what I remember Brees saying is what the anthem and the ?? means to him and that he thinks of both of his grandparents that served their country and risking their lives during world war 2 , yes to me personally he did come out a little arrogant and one sided ... I understand and support everyone’s right to peacefully protest , but I also support the ?? because coming here as a Jewish  immigrant from Russia this country gave me so much that I’m thankful for !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I voted "no" because I don't want to be reminded about political or social problems when I'm watching sports.  Sports is supposed to be an escape.  On the other hand, if it makes the players happy and they play harder and as a result, the Bills get one or two more wins, I'm all in favor of it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I don’t care if they kneel or not, but remember the backlash it caused in 2016 and the drop in tv ratings.

No matter what you or I say, people are going to be alienated over this and is the NFL gonna be prepared for another ratings drop?

We shall see.

Pretty sure if there are not crowds allowed in the stadium they will have fantastic ratings no matter what.  :)

Now on the topic at hand...it shouldn't matter what others do during anthem.  Focus on you...if you think that kneeling is disrespectful then stand.  Its a choice to protest this way...and by trying to take the choice away from someone you are part of the issue in my opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2

McDermott must kneel. He's all about "all for one and one for all". How can he demand the loyalty of his players if he does not show them he has their backs?

Get ready whoever is offended by knees, you are gonna be offended. Hope you can survive.

Why is it that some people just can’t accept everyone’s explanation for why they are taking a knee? Clearly no disrespect is intended yet some people are intent on being offended. Why the insistence, the need, to make it about something it isn’t? It’s a lot more than, “It’s my flag, it’s my country, it’s my military.” Some sort of psychological phenomenon is at play here.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why is it that some people just can’t accept everyone’s explanation for why they are taking a knee? Clearly no disrespect is intended yet some people are intent on being offended. Why the insistence, the need, to make it about something it isn’t? It’s a lot more than, “It’s my flag, it’s my country, it’s my military.” Some sort of psychological phenomenon is at play here.

If it is not offensive then it does nothing. It is a protest. It is not meant to be polite. getting a reaction of offense is exactly the point!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dear professional athletes,

Please continue doing meaningless things like taking a knee during the National Anthem instead of using your considerable financial resources and public credibility to help rid America of the scourge that is us.

Sincerely,

Politicians who've had decades to solve these problems but don't because it benefits them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I pledge allegiance to the flag

Of the United States of America

And to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS

The flag stands for the republic, not necessarily what folks who are against kneeling suggest.  

One nation, under God, indivisible

WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

So is there liberty and justice for all?  That’s the issue being protested.

How many people here can peacefully protest at work ? No not during lunch break but during actual work time that you are getting paid for , can a cashier at a grocery get on his knee for 5 minutes and peacefully protest while there’s 20 people waiting line ? 
Or maybe I can call my boss and tell him I had to shut down the rig ( oil production) because my guys wanted to peacefully protest? 
Most of us have two options either follow the company policy OR find another job 

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t care what McDermott does or what the players do. I suspect that a large portion of the league take a knee. I also suspect that it will be much more widely accepted as polls have indicated. It’s no longer looked at as “disrespecting the flag” and is now (correctly) viewed as “solidarity with the oppressed.” 

It isn’t going to change my experience one way or the other. I didn’t become a Bills fan because of the way that the consume the anthem. I’m there to watch them play football. 

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

How many people here can peacefully protest at work ? No not during lunch break but during actual work time that you are getting paid for , can a cashier at a grocery get on his knee for 5 minutes and peacefully protest while there’s 20 people waiting line ? 

They aren’t working at that point though. If they peacefully protest on 3rd down that’s the equivalent. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just be careful not to get the team hit with the canisters of tear gas McD!

Also when the looting begins are we hitting the beer 1st then Chicken Wings or the other way around? I'm gonna make sure I'm wearing my bib , things are going to get really sloppy?

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t care what McDermott does or what the players do. I suspect that a large portion of the league take a knee. I also suspect that it will be much more widely accepted as polls have indicated. It’s no longer looked at as “disrespecting the flag” and is now (correctly) viewed as “solidarity with the oppressed.” 

It isn’t going to change my experience one way or the other. I didn’t become a Bills fan because of the way that the consume the anthem. I’m there to watch them play football. 

They aren’t working at that point though. If they peacefully protest on 3rd down that’s the equivalent. 

I’m sorry but when you are wearing your company’s uniform you are working  , unless you are on the way home AGAIN MOST of us , obviously NFL players are special and we are all beneath them 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There's nothing more American than allowing players to kneel during the national anthem. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." 

YEAH

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

At this point, how is there 20 votes for no? 

YEAH

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Putin said:

Or maybe I can call my boss and tell him I had to shut down the rig ( oil production) because my guys wanted to peacefully protest? 
Most of us have two options either follow the company policy OR find another job 

GO BILLS !!!

If we're trying to make the analogy accurate, would my boss care if I'm kneeling at my computer instead of sitting or standing? No, she would not.

It's not like the players are refusing to play (at least not yet). Kneeling doesn't impact their ability to do their job in any way whatsoever.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3