Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

On 6/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, K-9 said:

I think Krueger is an architect, Botts is more of a general contractor. 

I would put it more in Krueger's own terms.  Ralph's more of a conductor, chosing muscians who can give him the sound he's looking for, then driving them to give their best possible performance.   

Botts, OTOH, is more like a drummer for Spinal Tap...

Edited by Lurker

28 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

After reading this link taken from NHL.com it is clear that this GM removal revolved around Botts not going along with a drastic reduction in the payroll for the hockey operation. The Sabres have been hemorrhaging money and the financial prospects look bleak for the next season because there is a good chance that there will be a limitation of fans at the games. 

The gas and oil business, the hospitality and the hockey business are all losing a dramatic amount of money. And each of these business sectors are going to take at least another year or two before they can stabilize. From a business standpoint the retrenchment makes sense. Right now the goal is survival. From a hockey standpoint this movement toward austerity is discouraging. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/jason-botterill-fired-as-buffalo-gm-replaced-by-kevyn-adams/c-317180770

From Tim graham in April: 

https://theathletic.com/1758235/2020/04/20/as-pegulas-face-business-challenges-employees-describe-a-toxic-culture-at-pse/  (Athletic subscription required)

Spirits within PSE’s other properties were depressed before that. The Buffalo Sabres have been among the NHL’s worst clubs for nearly a decade, missing the playoffs nine straight seasons (presuming the 2019-20 regular season standings hold true) while employing six head coaches in that time. A source with knowledge of the numbers said the Sabres have been losing between $40 million and $60 million the past few seasons.

Wow, if true. 

New GM Kevyn Adams on the instigators:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-17-sabres-general-manager-kevyn-adams-0

Haven't listened yet but hopefully we will get a better idea of his vision/plans, etc.

edit - he was on Howard & Jeremy too:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-17-sabres-general-manager-kevyn-adams

edit again- listening to the 1st link. It’s good to hear Adams saying that some of these firings were hockey related (like Chris Taylor for ex.). He also said that Ralph Krueger will have a big hand in the hiring process of his replacement and that he wants the 2 programs to be better connected. Krueger has a lot of connections in the coaching world and is very well respected. I’m anxious to see who they find to fill the role.

Sounds like Krueger will be relied on a lot for hockey related decisions. I guess we will see if that’s good or bad. One thing I do know - Krueger will have a clear vision on how he wants to assemble a roster. He’s done it many times while running the Swiss National team and had success in many tournaments. Obviously not the same thing as a full NHL season though. 

Id normally be more worried about a coach having more control over his roster, and I am nervous about it if that’s what happens. But it does make me feel better that Krueger isn’t your typical head coach (in more ways than one...). He even has experience as a team president, where he couldn’t just think about the short term. Same with the Swiss team, where he built it back from the ground up.

(trying to be more positive today)

edit #3) 8 minutes into the Howard & Jeremy interview. Adams mentions that he’s a big believer in analytics. I’m sure some her will be happy to hear that (assuming he actually follows through on it). 

Edited by BillsFan4

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

A couple of observations after reading the linked article:

1.)  Why the tendency for today's writers to include olfactory skills at achieving success?  'Sniffing the playoffs' is getting awfully shopworn.

2.)  Is Berglund the Sabres' Vontae Davis?

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

From a hockey standpoint this movement toward austerity is discouraging. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/jason-botterill-fired-as-buffalo-gm-replaced-by-kevyn-adams/c-317180770

Not discouraging to me at all. I have been in business long enough to know that throwing money at a problem is most always the answer. They have been doing the for 9 years with sub-optimal( dismal) results. They were “ persistent” , now it is the time to not be “

insane”

do not keep doing the same things and expect different results. Maybe leaner means better and more decisive? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not discouraging to me at all. I have been in business long enough to know that throwing money at a problem is most always the answer. They have been doing the for 9 years with sub-optimal( dismal) results. They were “ persistent” , now it is the time to not be “

insane”

do not keep doing the same things and expect different results. Maybe leaner means better and more decisive? 

The reason why Botterill got fired was not primarily for hockey reasons. Apparently, he was not supportive of the approach to dramatically slim down the staff. So he was jettisoned. The owners then went ahead with their austerity program and installed their in-house GM. 

When all is said and done the most substantive/meaningful issue here is not the thinning and hallowing out of the organization. What matters are the personnel decisions that will be made this offseason to rebalance and upgrade the roster. Whether you have a thick or thin organization or a horizontal or vertical organizational chart the most important issue comes down to the hockey decisions you make. That's what I'm waiting to see. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The person in the organization whose influence has increased is Krueger. Without a doubt the organization has to a degree been hollowed out. What's telling is not the coaching dismissals that happened in Rochester but the firings in the scouting department. When all is said and done owners can dramatically redesign the organization/companies they own. That's their prerogative. The argument shouldn't be framed as what is the best way to run an organization. The argument should be framed how do we get a franchise that has for years been flailing and alter its meandering course? 

If a stripped down organization is more nimble than a more staffed and bureaucratic organization then that is a good thing. When all is said and done what matters is the results. If the tandem of Krueger and Adams can make enough smart deals that will upgrade and better balance this roster then how this organization is structured becomes less of an issue.  I'm less interested in how the flow chart is designed than I am interested in the roster decisions that are made in this critical extended offseason. 

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/buffaloed/

This is Elliott friedman’s New podcast. It’s on the Sabres. Good listen.

I'm not sure that they added much to what was going on with Buffalo. They are surmising just like we in this forum are surmising. However, this was enjoyable hockey talk to listen to. Both of the participants in the podcast are honest enough to acknowledge that they don't know what the changes will result in. In that sense they are just like us.  

Mike Kelly from the NHL Network was on WGR's Schopp and the Bulldog show talking about the Sabres. This a 23 minute link with some good hockey talk. The most interesting segment was on the discussion about Risto and his trade value. The view of Kelly seems to be that it isn't as great as many people believe it to be. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/6-17-mike-kelly-the-point-hockey

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mike Kelly from the NHL Network was on WGR's Schopp and the Bulldog show talking about the Sabres. This a 23 minute link with some good hockey talk. The most interesting segment was on the discussion about Risto and his trade value. The view of Kelly seems to be that it isn't as great as many people believe it to be. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/6-17-mike-kelly-the-point-hockey

Don't think RaKru wants to trade him in any event.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't think RaKru wants to trade him in any event.

Ralph clearly values Risto and his rugged play. However, if the Sabres are able to get a second line forward who can put the puck in the net I believe a deal will be done. This roster needs to be better balanced, and the Jack  line needs support. This team needs outside additions for immediate help. In order to get an asset you have to give up an asset. 

Edited by JohnC

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Ralph clearly values Risto and his rugged play. However, if the Sabres are able to get a second line forward who can put the puck in the net I believe a deal will be done. This roster needs to be better balanced, and the Jack  line needs support. This team needs outside additions for immediate help. In order to get an asset you have to give up an asset. 

I agree, but for a soft team, I'd hate to lose some of the little grit we have. Wonder how Montour compares to Risto in terms of trade value league wide. Folks on another board are keen to trade Samson. I think that would be a mistake. We need to add to the top six, not subtract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.