Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Laaksonen is 20 yrs old and is at least two to three years away for vying for a NHL roster spot if his development trajectory remains on course. He represents the typical time frame for a prospect. In comparison Dahlin was a contributing player in the NHL when he was 18 yrs old. That goes to show how much of a prodigy Dahlin was as a prospect. Entering his third year with more physical development/maturity he should be ready to be an elite player not only on his team but also in the league. 

You don't have to know much about hockey to recognize when watching the games that Dahlin and Jack both stand out and are above the rest of the players on the ice. It will be a dam shame if the GM doesn't aggressively act this offseason to rebalance and upgrade the roster. If he doesn't do it entering the next season I will be pushing K-9 aside in the first row of the mob calling for the GM's scalp. The future is now. No more excuses. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://wyrk.com/breaking-buffalo-sabres-fire-gm-jason-botterill/

Jason Botterill fired.

I hope they keep Krueger though, especially after how much Eichel raved about him. I don’t know how happy Eichel would be if Krueger is canned too.

Not interim? Actual GM? What in the ****!!

What experience does Kevyn Adams have?? Running the harborcenter?

JFC.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wyrk.com/breaking-buffalo-sabres-fire-gm-jason-botterill/

Jason Botterill fired.

I hope they keep Krueger though, especially after how much Eichel raved about him. I don’t know how happy Eichel would be if Krueger is canned too.

Not interim? Actual GM? What in the ****!!

What experience does Kevyn Adams have?? Running the harborcenter?

JFC.

I suspect the philosophical disagreements within the organization that had much to do with the firing of the GM related to the conflicting philosophies between the coach and departed GM. It's telling that there were statements that Krueger and Adams have a good relationship. I'm confident that Krueger is going to be the coach next year.

The bigger issue hanging over this franchise isn't whether Botterill remained or not. The issue that will more profoundly affect the franchise is whether this organization can make some smart deals this offseason that will enhance the roster. My suspicion is that the owners didn't believe that Botts was bold enough to pull it off. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I suspect the philosophical disagreements within the organization that had much to do with the firing of the GM related to the conflicting philosophies between the coach and departed GM. It's telling that there were statements that Krueger and Adams have a good relationship. I'm confident that Krueger is going to be the coach next year.

The bigger issue hanging over this franchise isn't whether Botterill remained or not. The issue that will more profoundly affect the franchise is whether this organization can make some smart deals this offseason that will enhance the roster. My suspicion is that the owners didn't believe that Botts was bold enough to pull it off. 

I am confident that Krueger has more power than Adams.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am confident that Krueger has more power than Adams.

I can't say that Krueger will have more power than Adams but I'm comfortable in saying that Krueger will have more influence in personnel decisions with Adams than with Botts. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I can't say that Krueger will have more power than Adams but I'm comfortable in saying that Krueger will have more influence in personnel decisions with Adams than with Botts. 

In a rare moment regarding Sabres, we are in agreement.  My belief is that Ralph will be more active in personnel decisions.

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

I like Krueger a lot but would ask him why did he take Skinner off the Eichel line where he was awesome.

Amen to that.  This is the biggest red flag I have with Krueger.  I don't blame him for trying, but once it failed, he should have adjusted.

1 hour ago, GG said:

In a rare moment regarding Sabres, we are in agreement.  My belief is that Ralph will be more active in personnel decisions.

I'm not sure what is going on within the organization. Why not that long ago did Kim Pegula state that Botts would be back next year? Then he ends up being fired after there was an organizational review. Why not do the review and then make a decision on the GM's status. What changed? My guess is that the Pegulas felt that they weren't being consulted enough by Botts in comparison to Adams who more openly communicated with them.  And another conjecture/guess of mine is that Botts who is more of a cautious and incremental type of guy didn't offer a bold enough plan to upgrade the roster to satisfy the owners. 

I really don’t know what to think. I truly don’t get the Chris Taylor firing. I guess we have to wait and see who they replace all these people with (assuming they do. Some of Pegulas comments made me think we might be going back to more video scouting again).

I have to say, I haven’t felt this low on the Sabres future in quite some time. I’m trying not to overreact until we see how they fill these positions, but I’d be lying if I said I felt hopeful right now.

Edited by BillsFan4

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure what is going on within the organization. Why not that long ago did Kim Pegula state that Botts would be back next year? Then he ends up being fired after there was an organizational review. Why not do the review and then make a decision on the GM's status. What changed? My guess is that the Pegulas felt that they weren't being consulted enough by Botts in comparison to Adams who more openly communicated with them.  And another conjecture/guess of mine is that Botts who is more of a cautious and incremental type of guy didn't offer a bold enough plan to upgrade the roster to satisfy the owners. 

Because the pegulas dont know what the hell they are doing and may possibly be in some hot water financially.

My guess is they wanted botterill to fire all these people and he wouldnt.

Just now, May Day 10 said:

Because the pegulas dont know what the hell they are doing and may possibly be in some hot water financially.

My guess is they wanted botterill to fire all these people and he wouldnt.

I think you are on to something that makes this blowup action understandable. My suspicions are that a strategy of austerity in the face of the downward spiraling business climate was not something that Botterill was willing to go along with. It won't take long before the real story comes out. I find the jettisoning of the Rochester staff and the cuts in the scouting department very troubling. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I really don’t know what to think. I truly don’t get the Chris Taylor firing. I guess we have to wait and see who they replace all these people with (assuming they do. Some of Pegulas comments made me think we might be going back to more video scouting again).

This is called austerity. It is not a recipe for success as it is a strategy for $$$$ survival. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think you are on to something that makes this blowup action understandable. My suspicions are that a strategy of austerity in the face of the downward spiraling business climate was not something that Botterill was willing to go along with. It won't take long before the real story comes out. I find the jettisoning of the Rochester staff and the cuts in the scouting department very troubling. 

This is called austerity. It is not a recipe for success as it is a strategy for $$$$ survival. 

Sigh. Sabres = depressing.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Oh, the optics are far worse than that, especially with the gutting of the Amerks.   You don't give the vote of confidence by saying that there are many good things behind the scenes that the public may not be aware of, and then you fire the guy a week later.  It's doubly awful to get rid of your entire minor league staff, when you've spent a year telling everyone how for the first time in eons, the minor league was in full step with the major league.

Who knows, maybe the Pilut defection was the final determination that Botts was clueless in roster management.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Sigh. Sabres = depressing.

We'll get a better sense of what's really happening very soon. Whenever there is a lot of firings there will be a lot of leaks so we will get a more accurate picture of what actually is happening. My worry is that finances are a big factor in this major reshuffling. What I'll be watching to see if there are deals made to upgrade the roster. That will be most telling. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I suspect the disagreement Botterill had with the Pegula's about massive cuts had everything to do with it.

The Sabres are on thin ice.

Edited by Beast

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-decide-to-start-over-once-again-1.1486570

What changed over the last three weeks?

According to sources, the Pegulas held a series of meetings with Botterill over the ensuing weeks with a focus on restructuring the Sabres’ hockey operations department.

There were “philosophical differences” in that restructuring process. Sources said the Pegulas sought to shrink the staff, including cuts in scouting and management departments, in order to re-envision how it operated. Botterill was opposed to those changes, potentially viewing it as an unwelcome cost-cutting procedure.

"We're going to get leaner," Terry Pegula said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday. Pegula also declined to commit to hiring assistant GMs for Adams.

"When we were in detailed discussions with Jason and how we felt we needed to move forward effectively, efficiently and economically running this franchise, we felt there were too many differences in opinion," Pegula said.

Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the Sabres’ parent company, has pulled the purse strings in recent months. The Sabres’ management team, including Botterill, were forced to take temporary salary reductions – even though the non-playoff bound Sabres had just six home dates remaining at KeyBank Center. The Sabres also laid off 21 employees and furloughed 104 more in April, and have since fired additional staffers.

Yikes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.