Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

The attached link is TSN Darren Dreger's 11 minute interview with Jack Eichel on his show the "Darren Café".  There wasn't much new revealed in his comments. A couple of interesting tidbits were that he works extensively in the offseason with Adam Oates and that Nate MacKinnon is one player who is a friend and likes to follow.  

Jack Eichel has become very relaxed and polished doing interviews. He has shown a lot of growth in his off the ice activities and responsibilities. He's a terrific representative of the organization. 

https://www.tsn.ca/dreger-cafe-jack-eichel-on-losing-it-s-been-a-tough-five-years-1.1484837?view=getnewpost

• Thank you (+1) 1

Attached is a link by AP's John Wawrow. The article addresses the organizational structure of the Pegula sports entreprise and the layers of management involved in running the sports business. My takeaway is simple. If you hire the right people and allow them to run the operation you are more likely to have success. The Bills are an example of that with McDermott and Beane having full authority to make football decisions. The Sabres are the antithesis of that notion as exemplified by the constant churning of hockey staff and the not so surprising outcome. 

In my opinion what this organization didn't need was more tumult in the organization by firing Botterill who was on the last year of his contract. The Pegulas made the right to decision to allow him to finish his contract. Botterill has been given enough time to implement his strategy to run the hockey operation. Next season is his do or die season. If the team has meaningful success he will be retained; if this team doesn't have meaningful success he will not be retained. And that is how it should be. 

https://apnews.com/13d5ef6efda7c67b2f2bb67943472709?view=getnewpost

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a link by AP's John Wawrow. The article addresses the organizational structure of the Pegula sports entreprise and the layers of management involved in running the sports business. My takeaway is simple. If you hire the right people and allow them to run the operation you are more likely to have success. The Bills are an example of that with McDermott and Beane having full authority to make football decisions. The Sabres are the antithesis of that notion as exemplified by the constant churning of hockey staff and the not so surprising outcome. 

In my opinion what this organization didn't need was more tumult in the organization by firing Botterill who was on the last year of his contract. The Pegulas made the right to decision to allow him to finish his contract. Botterill has been given enough time to implement his strategy to run the hockey operation. Next season is his do or die season. If the team has meaningful success he will be retained; if this team doesn't have meaningful success he will not be retained. And that is how it should be. 

https://apnews.com/13d5ef6efda7c67b2f2bb67943472709?view=getnewpost

I agree.

They’ve got the right coach in Krueger and I can see him taking over for Botts after next season. I think Krueger is an architect, Botts is more of a general contractor. 

Edited by K-9

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree.

They’ve got the right coach in Krueger and I can see him taking over for Botts after next season. I think Krueger is an architect, Botts is more of a general contractor. 

Botts is the general contractor who redid Seinfeld's kitchen.  ?

And Murray was the contractor who gets the $10k down payment and who immediately takes a vacation in Florida.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Kruger has never done the job in the NHL.

Good salesman though.

Nobody has done the job in the NHL before they did the job in the NHL. Or in any pro sport for that matter. 

And being a good salesman is a good thing when it comes to running an organization and implementing a vision. 

Are you suggesting Krueger isn’t genuine? 

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree.

If Krueger is an architect, Botts is George Costanza

• Haha (+1) 1

I dont know.  He just lays it on thick all the time.  If you listen to him with any sort of skeptical ear, you hear lots of words that are constructed well, but dont give you much of anything at the end.  He seems like a charming guy, and the players like him.  I'm completely fine with letting him start next season.  

After Botterill finally runs his course.  I don't want an experiment.  They need experience and someone with history and credibility.  No desire to elevate Kruger to GM and (likely) Chris Taylor as HC.  Im not even sure Kruger has held a front office role with an NHL team.   

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dont know.  He just lays it on thick all the time.  If you listen to him with any sort of skeptical ear, you hear lots of words that are constructed well, but dont give you much of anything at the end.  He seems like a charming guy, and the players like him.  I'm completely fine with letting him start next season.  

After Botterill finally runs his course.  I don't want an experiment.  They need experience and someone with history and credibility.  No desire to elevate Kruger to GM and (likely) Chris Taylor as HC.  Im not even sure Kruger has held a front office role with an NHL team.   

What convinces me he’s genuine is that everybody whose paths he’s crossed in his career, from players to coaches to owners to arena maintenance personnel have nothing but great things to say about him. I’ve yet to see one dissenting voice. Hell, even those people he had beers with on Chippewa when he did his undercover research on Buffalo before he decided to take the job here had nothing but great things to say.

It’s hard to bs that many people over that many years over that many different locations around the world, imo. 

I get your concerns about inexperience, but I see it as less of an experiment. And for all I know, Krueger may have zero interest anyway. He just strikes me as capable and up to the task. 

Edited by K-9

44 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What convinces me he’s genuine is that everybody whose paths he’s crossed in his career, from players to coaches to owners to arena maintenance personnel have nothing but great things to say about him. I’ve yet to see one dissenting voice. Hell, even those people he had beers with on Chippewa when he did his undercover research on Buffalo before he decided to take the job here had nothing but great things to say.

It’s hard to bs that many people over that many years over that many different locations around the world, imo. 

I get your concerns about inexperience, but I see it as less of an experiment. And for all I know, Krueger may have zero interest anyway. He just strikes me as capable and up to the task. 

I like Krueger and if they made him the GM I'd be optimistic, but I'm happy with him at coach too.  I'm hoping he has some contacts a la McDermott/Beane.

If Botterill were a general contractor I'd suggest wearing a helmet and a flak jacket whenever you are in a place he built.  Zamboni driver seems like a good fit.

COVID is the only reason he should be retained for another year.  John C thinks 20-21 is make or break for Botts but a look at the roster tells you it's already broken.  Unless you think Cozens is going to immediately impact the NHL, which is unrealistic and unfair to him, there is literally not a thing on the farm or the current roster that suggests anything close to the giant quantum leap required.  And the cap situation sucks, even if there were viable FAs.  Imagine being spotted Eichel and Dahlin and ending up with an atrocious team about to become the all time playoff drought record holder.  Wow.

When Botts is interviewed it is alternating "GM speak" in generalized platitudes, clueless blank stares, and irrational expectations already proven incorrect.  He is beyond over his head.  At least he's not a douche bag like Murray though.  He seems like an ok guy but he is not a GM.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I agree.

I have a slightly different take on Krueger. I agree with you that Krueger is like an architect who has a vision on how to not only structure an organization but maybe more importantly infuse it with an ethos. His expertise revolves around organizational structure and psychology. That's why he is able to apply his philosophy in a variety of endeavors such as soccer or even on the lecture circuit talking about what it takes to build successful businesses and maximize the talents of your personnel. 

Where I'm not so sure about his talent as a GM is that I'm not sure about his scouting abilities which in my mind is the most important component to being a successful GM. Your analogy about Botts being more of a general contractor is a very intriguing observation. I agree with it. But that isn't why I'm critical of him so much as why I'm a little more than tepidly satisfied with him. Although he might not have the personality to take bold moves as some of the top GMs would be willing to do he does have the standard workmanlike approach that can over time rebuild a franchise. I certainly would never put him in the ranking as an elite GM because his approach is very much conventional. On the other hand I do consider him being capable of attaining a solid ranking. 

As you well know I'm less of a critic of Botts than most. However, the owners have given him the time and resources to implement his strategy to reconstruct the franchise. This is his do or die year. No more excuses. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Say that in Frank Costanza's "You wanna piece of me?!" voice, and your post is going straight to the TBD-TSW OTW HOF.  

?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have a slightly different take on Krueger. I agree with you that Krueger is like an architect who has a vision on how to not only structure an organization but maybe more importantly infuse it with an ethos. His expertise revolves around organizational structure and psychology. That's why he is able to apply his philosophy in a variety of endeavors such as soccer or even on the lecture circuit talking about what it takes to build successful businesses and maximize the talents of your personnel. 

Where I'm not so sure about his talent as a GM is that I'm not sure about his scouting abilities which in my mind is the most important component to being a successful GM. Your analogy about Botts being more of a general contractor is a very intriguing observation. I agree with it. But that isn't why I'm critical of him so much as why I'm a little more than tepidly satisfied with him. Although he might not have the personality to take bold moves as some of the top GMs would be willing to do he does have the standard workmanlike approach that can over time rebuild a franchise. I certainly would never put him in the ranking as an elite GM because his approach is very much conventional. On the other hand I do consider him being capable of attaining a solid ranking. 

As you well know I'm less of a critic of Botts than most. However, the owners have given him the time and resources to implement his strategy to reconstruct the franchise. This is his do or die year. No more excuses. 

Best to start making the funeral arrangements sooner than later. He’s on life support with no discernible brain function. 

The attached link by WIVB's Brian Choynacki is a run of the mill article on Olofsson that doesn't add much to what is already known about the player. It's a typical manufactured offseason hockey column. But while maybe not intended it brings up the issue of the reliance on the younger players on the roster and their ability to develop. Dahlin and Jack are young players but clearly are in a lofty category of their own. The more important issue associated with team success is whether along with Olofsson other young players such as Yoki, Kahun, Tage, Cozens, Mittelstadt and a little down the road Arttu Ruotsalainen can improve enough to internally upgrade the roster.

The GM has predicated his job future on these developing players. Is his bet on them going to work out for him? I think so but I'm not sure???? 

https://www.wivb.com/sports/victor-olofsson-bright-piece-to-sabres-future/?view=getnewpost

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.