Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

https://theathletic.com/1880791/2020/07/06/wheeler-the-top-50-drafted-nhl-prospects-ranking-2020-edition/

Dyland Cozens listed as the #1 prospect outside the NHL in Scott Wheeler’s annual prospect rankings (athletic subscription required).

1. Dylan Cozens, C, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 7th overall, 2019)

This one was agonizing because Cozens doesn’t have a star-level quality that some of the six players that follow him on this list do. I can see outcomes for each of the next half dozen names in my ranking where they go on to have a higher ceiling than Cozens. Other things, like that Cozens is going to have to play behind Jack Eichel (while Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield have a more direct trajectory to the first line within their organizations) and may not reach his full ceiling as a result, can creep in and cloud your judgment if you let them, too. But I tried to remind myself that I’m less interested in what he isn’t than what he is — or that organizational circumstances shouldn’t play too pronounced a role in my evaluation of his skillset. With all of that in mind, I began to give Cozens the slight edge over his peers at the top because of his unique blend of straight line speed and puckhandling ability for his size, as well as his improved finishing touch. For every defining skill that some of the other players atop my ranking had, they often also had traits that could prevent them from maximizing those standout tools. Cozens had fewer holes, which made me ever so slightly more confident in his ability to reach the top of his projection.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

okay, getting depressed all over again reading hockey twitter..i am gunna blame Rudy Gobert for the Sabres not making the playoffs. One more game played,and won, which was the next , against the Canadians, and the Sabres would have been in. But then again, they might have gone to 20 if Buffalo was 24 instead of Montreal.

Having said that, seems the world went to poop once i switched from Omar to Slumping Jack. In an effort to restore some good news to the world, Mr. Little is back

Omar Coming yo

On 7/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, T&C said:

1996, I read about this in the newspaper... an actual newspaper made of paper lol.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, basketball court and stadium

My (late) Nana in West Seneca used to mail me the Buffalo News sports section once a week, my freshman year in college. This picture was taped on my wall, along with the Jim Kelly retirement pictures. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My (late) Nana in West Seneca used to mail me the Buffalo News sports section once a week, my freshman year in college. This picture was taped on my wall, along with the Jim Kelly retirement pictures. 

There are no better people on this Earth than Nanas. Your's sounded like she was a great one. May she RIP.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My dad sent me the Sunday and Monday Buffalo News sports section every  week during Bills season from 1981 till he died in 2004. Sometimes he would even wrap a load of DiCamillos bread in the section. And man , when I saw it was a box instead of a large envelope I was pumped! No way I was telling him bout the internet!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can't see how it involves us.

I read that the opportunity wasn’t with another NHL team, so I have no clue who/what it involves. I just thought it was interesting. There’s not a whole lot of sports news these days... lol

I love that new profile pic btw! 

Edited by BillsFan4

I wish the Sabres were getting ready to play, but I’m still glad there will be hockey to watch soon. I think this will be the first time we’ve ever watched NHL playoffs in August.

I really hope it goes well. If it does hopefully that’s a good sign for the NFL season.

Edited by BillsFan4

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I read that the opportunity wasn’t with another NHL team, so I have no clue who/what it involves. I just thought it was interesting. There’s not a whole lot of sports news these days... lol

I love that new profile pic btw! 

But then.... there's this....

• Like (+1) 1

John Chayka resigned. 

The coyotes didn’t pull any punches in their statement:

John Chayka has quit as the General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Arizona Coyotes. 

The Club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL's hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012. Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL.  

"The Club is moving forward and has named Steve Sullivan as Interim General Manager. He has the full support of the entire organization including team ownership, executive leadership, players, and coaches.  

"The Club will have no further comment on the matter, as the Club remains focused on the opportunity to pursue a Stanley Cup."

Here’s some details on what happened. It looks like the new opportunity was with another NHL team.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29555087/why-were-arizona-coyotes-angry-gm-john-chayka-quit

According to a source, Chayka came to Meruelo seeking permission to speak with the owner under the premise that it wasn't a job interview; making the argument that previous Coyotes owners would have let him have the conversation, as it was intended to "build relationships with owners in hockey" and "get market knowledge."

Spoiler warning: It ended up being a job interview.

After it appeared things remained status quo for Chayka and the Coyotes, he told Meruelo that he wanted to leave for an opportunity with that team: a job that would be a step up from NHL GM, into a role overseeing aspects of other sports teams in the owner's portfolio.

Reading that last sentence I was like “hmm... maybe the opportunity really was with the Sabres...”. 

But then I read the next line: @njbuff

According to an NHL source, that team was the New Jersey Devils, whose owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer own the Philadelphia 76ers, Crystal Palace FC, multiple minor league teams, an esports team and, potentially in the future, the New York Mets.

I’m not really sure how I would’ve felt about Chayka in buffalo anyway. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.