Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

My position is that anyone who has not directly acted (be it through donation or other peaceful action), who has sat in silence as these things happened over the years and done nothing to help put an end to them, is, through their non-participation, complicit. I will simply leave it at that.

Do you believe that kneeling quietly to bring attention to racist police brutality is disrespectful?

Well that, to me, is a decidedly different statement than to default to “everyone”, and far more defensible 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough.

Count me among those who don’t find quietly taking a knee during the anthem to be disrespectful. Taking a knee is, in my view, a gesture of reverence, not disrespect.

Here is a link to a letter of support to Kaep from American military personnel. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theundefeated.com/features/an-open-letter-from-american-military-veterans-in-support-of-colin-kaepernick/amp/

A Washington Post poll found that 53% of Americans find it disrespectful. Pretty close to a 50-50 split.

Im curious what it is about the gesture of kneeling that people find disrespectful, personally. It has historically been a reverent, respectful gesture.

I’m sure some folks saw it as taking away from what they perceived is the purpose of the anthem before games. A dedication to those who fought and died for our country, or a thankfulness to live in a country where we could have something as peaceful and unifying as a sports match. 

Really, it’s an individual interpretation. 

It’s not just the act of kneeling, because an NFL player kneeling in prayer or somber respect during the anthem would not have elicited the same response. It’s the kneeling in protest.

22 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m not sure about momentous.  The NFL is so far behind the NBA, this coming from someone who hasn’t watched a full NBA game in years and years, that it’s not even funny.

I’m all for improvements, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure that Goodell or owners should be getting getting credit for something they are doing so late.

Also, proof is in the puddin Roger. It’s your move.

Im curious as to why you would use the accused killer cop from Minneapolis pic as your avatar? Sincere inquiry.

21 hours ago, Process said:

Players were smart to include Mahomes in their video. If he continues to speak out players are going to get the green light to do whatever the heck they want.

NFL could care less about guys like Kap, Stills and the Bennett brothers.

regarding the names of players whom participated in that video I can't help it ...when I saw Jarvis Landry was a member of the group my respect for it was lessened by association...totally wrong and I corrected myself but He's the last person I want telling me about morality and ethics just sayin'...

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Process said:

Players were smart to include Mahomes in their video. If he continues to speak out players are going to get the green light to do whatever the heck they want.

NFL could care less about guys like Kap, Stills and the Bennett brothers.

Probably good for all parties to ignore folks who lie about police brutality.

I managed to step away from the news, stop listening to politics, and found I’d become very productive. I actually told my wife, I’m shutting it all out except for the Bills message boards. She used to hate that I always went on these boards but I allowed politics to affect me so greatly, she was 100%, enthusiastically behind my only talking Bills. 

Sadly, I’ll have to step away from these message boards now too. Why does everything have to end up political? 

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

I managed to step away from the news, stop listening to politics, and found I’d become very productive. I actually told my wife, I’m shutting it all out except for the Bills message boards. She used to hate that I always went on these boards but I allowed politics to affect me so greatly, she was 100%, enthusiastically behind my only talking Bills. 

Sadly, I’ll have to step away from these message boards now too. Why does everything have to end up political? 

You don’t have to visit this topic. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SDS said:

Comfort is what got us here today. If you are uncomfortable, then maybe ask yourself why. 

Pro sports events are not the place to get uncomfortable.  If the experience gets unpleasant, people will stop attending games like they did a few years ago when Kaepernick started the kneeling trend.  The owners felt the pinch and the kneeling went away, for the most part. Nothing good will come of Sunday afternoon protests. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

You can make the rules whenever you get the $200/month sever bill and send the check. 

No where am I telling you that you have to do it, it was a suggestion. In the end, traffic will be what determines content. The only thing I can do iS vote with my non-presence. I would never presume to tell a private business what to do. I’m a big proponent of free market and private ownership. 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

How would you like me to answer that? Composition of votes? Party registration? One example would be the presidential election in 2016. Trump received an astounding 62% of the white male vote (64% of which had a high school education or less). 

https://www.people-press.org/2018/08/09/an-examination-of-the-2016-electorate-based-on-validated-voters/

Demographics of conservative talk radio (where white men listen to other white men discuss what is wrong with everyone else not like them) is overwhelmingly middle-age white men. 

Anything else?

I don’t think it is some secret that Universities across this country are breeding grounds for tomorrow’s Liberals,  so that examination shouldn’t be shocking to anyone.

The interesting stat I take out of that is the more experiences one has in life the more likely they were to vote for Donald Trump.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, HamSandwhich said:

No where am I telling you that you have to do it, it was a suggestion. In the end, traffic will be what determines content. The only thing I can do iS vote with my non-presence. I would never presume to tell a private business what to do. I’m a big proponent of free market and private ownership. 

It is here because it is a topic where sports and politics intersect and it is of interest to the general football community. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I'm going to miss you terribly

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm going to miss you terribly

Hey man, this isn’t just some random poster, this is HamSandwhich. A person who has had thousand of TBDers hang on his every word. His loss will be felt immensely. 

7 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Too little too late.  

And I will never forget the comments on here when the Kaep to Buffalo rumors started to swirl, how a lot of us said "hell no, he disrespected the flag and troops!"

There were a lot of other places he had better chances of landing but the hate on here was real.

It wasn't everybody on here but the hate was wrong then and wrong now.

Never ever forget that it was US who were wrong not to listen FIRST!

May I ask  what you think is too little too late..the NFL response or our collective human previous response to Kaepernick or failure to recognize racism in America...likely all 3 as I reread your posting. I think looking back a lot of people lacked appreciation and understanding of how black people have experienced racism and police injustice and brutality  in our country...Im very sorry it took seeing a man murdered in senseless fashion in Minneapolis for a collective US to wake up smell the coffee and Get It....if George Floyds death and the subsequent riots are to have a positive  effect in America in retrospect it is going to involve a lot more Listening,  a lot  more inner reflection and as a result  change in our view on these issues and the changes necessary  to halt injustice and bring about a more just America for everyone.  Light banishes darkness and the light is now ON and I refuse to be hopeless and fatalistic that change isnt possible it CAN and it Must.

• Thank you (+1) 1