Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So then I guess we still need to understand the full context of the text messages to really understand the “stupid” comment he made.

What had the 2 of them been talking about - prior to the comment.  Had they been discussing in college courses any of this history of GA that you are talking about?  Or in previous conversations over time - not just that one? In that case is he making a stupid joke referring to the states history because that was part of their previous discussion- hence the dumb haha.  

Or is this a legitimate thought and feeling of Mr. Fromm?

My biggest issue with this entire thread is people on both sides making wild judgements based on the very limited nature of the tweets.  We do not know what was said in the apology or if any context was provided.  Right now I am going to allow the team to handle this and allow it to run it’s course.  

He made a comment that matched with the states previous history about out pricing minorities, but then included himself in that minority group of people that could not afford it.  Without full disclosure- the context of the tweets and any judgement by either side is just plain wrong.  

A pretty quick glance has Fromm as a Shapiro, Trump, and Tomi Louran fan. You know those guys, always telling light hearted jokes bout access to fire arms and elite whites. Classic.

Obviously by agreeing with those people you aren’t automatically some sort of Jim Crowe racist, burning crosses in the front yard. But when you start “making jokes” about the thing s he was “joking about” Vegas odd would probably be in its favor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

A pretty quick glance has Fromm as a Shapiro, Trump, and Tomi Louran fan. You know those guys, always telling light hearted jokes bout access to fire arms and elite whites. Classic.

Obviously by agreeing with those people you aren’t automatically some sort of Jim Crowe racist, burning crosses in the front yard. But when you start “making jokes” about the thing s he was “joking about” Vegas odd would probably be in its favor. 

I’ve never heard Ben Shapiro make any kind of argument towards sole white ownership of firearms, for you to even insinuate so is preposterous.

Trying to make conservative beliefs (keep in mind I don’t think anyone agrees with everything a media personality says) indicative of some kind of moral failing is again, absurd. 

Your argument proves to be an absolute embarrassment, because if he listened to Trevor Noah and MSNBC, that wouldn’t change one thing in your mind, but apparently the opposite is ammo against him. What a farce.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Are you black?

If not, how do you know anything about this? What forms the basis of your opinion?

Because privilege is something you don't think about until you don't have it. Kinda  like oxygen. I wish you could spend a day in black skin. you would be appalled.

Edited by brooklynbill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I'm glad we could all agree that Tre'Davious shouldn't be behaving that way and trying to hold the team hostage in public.  ???

Standing up for basic human rights is not holding anyone up. The Bills have the right to keep Fromm. Tre has the right to go where is feels respected and supported. I believe slavery was abolished in the 1865.

Edited by brooklynbill
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Its selfish to think this is just a problem within the boundaries of the USA.  

As a Caucasian male, I’ve lived and worked on several continents around the globe - and I was often in the minority.  Guess what? I worked extra hard every day to gain the trust and respect of my neighbors and coworkers. EVERY DAY! and I never once felt sorry for myself! Not once did I ask others to accommodate me!  Not once did I ever demand or expect others to welcome me!  As a result, others saw my efforts, I gained their favor, and made lasting relationships with a meaningful impact.  This nonsense about what it’s like to be a minority and I don’t know what it’s like - BS!  And now I reside in Hawaii and I’m still in the minority - so what ? I work hard as I always do and things come together.  Be clean, decent, and considerate, stop asking others to understand you and you will be amazed what can come of it.  

Wow. This is stunning. You conflate being an American man with white skin in a foreign country with black people living in the USA??? Are you suggesting that all black people have to do is work hard and racism would go away? So millions of people in our country and around the world are protesting risking exposure to corona virus because they are lazy?

Edited by brooklynbill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I have reading comprehension skills and empathy. 

That's a cop out. But it's exactly what I expected from you.

If you were a little more honest you would have said "I have faith and like attention."

So what do you say for the nearly half of the black community that doesn't believe racism is a major obstacle in their lives?

Do they lack reading comprehension and empathy? Do they need a woke white man to explain their oppression to them?

Because THAT sounds like a profound example of white privilege.

33 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

Because privilege is something you don't thing about until you don't have it. Kinda  like oxygen. I wish you could could a day in black skin. you would be appalled.

You say that, but how do you know? How could you possibly have first hand experience of both the black and white experience?

44 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

Because privilege is something you don't thing about until you don't have it. Kinda  like oxygen. I wish you could could a day in black skin. you would be appalled.

What about the black people that disagree with your opinion? The ones that are shamed into silence. Does their black skin work for you too?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

This is really well put.  Racism in today's society is disgusting...however its only part of the problem.  A symptom if you will.   There are so many other things that need attention in the black or Hispanic communities that are also worth this much attention but they unfortunately get swept under the rug.  

People aren't afraid to go into black neighnorhoods because of black people...they are afraid because many of these neighborhoods have high crime rates due to the situation they they are faced to live in...then this creates stereotypes and boom you have blanket racist comments. 

Fix the ever widening gap between rich and poor and some of this goes away organically.  I'm not suggesting thats the only way to do...more saying that there are many things we need to fix that could help remove racism in America...

Yo do understand that crime is socio-economic right? An uneducated white person is a lot more likely to committed a crime than a black college grad. Black people were not born with a criminal DNA.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Needle said:

What about the black people that disagree with your opinion? The ones that are shamed into silence. Does their black skin work for you too?

I could care less what anyone thinks. I speak truth to power. You can agree or disagree. Until I stop drawing breath I will not be silenced.

14 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

Yo do understand that crime is socio-economic right? An uneducated white person is a lot more likely to committed a crime than a black college grad. Black people were not born with a criminal DNA.

This is where the pushback on BLM is agreeing with you. The disregard for educating the youth in many black communities is destroying them. These conditions will never change until this is overcome. Police brutality is just passing the buck again. The politicians and media who push this agenda have a vested interest in your anger.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Needle said:

This is where the pushback on BLM is agreeing with you. The disregard for educating the youth in many black communities is destroying them. These conditions will never change until this is overcome. Police brutality is just passing the buck again. The politicians and media who push this agenda have a vested interest in your anger.

Not so simple, Unfortunately one's zip code is too often a predictor of his or her life outcome. I was fortunate enough  to get an education, buy a home and and am in position to retire early. But a lot of my friends, family and people who look like me were never given that opportunity. I will speak for them because they don't have a voice or platform. 

Young people of all backgrounds around the world are pissed off and have chosen stand up for hamanity. Unfortunately many of their parents are more concerned with their loss of privilege.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

That is exactly my point.  Not sure what you were reading into this. 

1 hour ago, brooklynbill said:

Not so simple, Unfortunately one's zip code is too often a predictor of his or her life outcome. I was fortunate enough  to get an education, buy a home and and am in position to retire early. But a lot of my friends, family and people who look like me were never given that opportunity. I will speak for them because they don't have a voice or platform. 

Young people of all backgrounds around the world are pissed off and have chosen stand up for hamanity. Unfortunately many of their parents are more concerned with their loss of privilege.

What loss of "privilege" comes with a better life for minorities?  I think that would make for a better life for everyone including my kids. In fact I don't care if it means I have a smaller piece of the pie. My slice isn't all that big right now but i don't care.

Defunding police, rooting out racism on Facebook, and making white people apologize doesn't fix anything though.

24 minutes ago, Needle said:

What loss of "privilege" comes with a better life for minorities?  I think that would make for a better life for everyone including my kids. In fact I don't care if it means I have a smaller piece of the pie. My slice isn't all that big right now but i don't care.

Defunding police, rooting out racism on Facebook, and making white people apologize doesn't fix anything though.

24 minutes ago, Needle said:

This is exactly why black people are frustrated. In no part of my post did i mention defunding police, facebook or appologies. But that is what YOU hear and respond to. I tried to respond to you on a personal level man to man and you immediately went into defensive mode, In a nutshell, a microcosm of what is going on in our country right now.

Empathy is free. I don' want or need anything from whites. All I want is respect and the freedoms that everyone in this country was promised.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So then I guess we still need to understand the full context of the text messages to really understand the “stupid” comment he made.

What had the 2 of them been talking about - prior to the comment.  Had they been discussing in college courses any of this history of GA that you are talking about?  Or in previous conversations over time - not just that one? In that case is he making a stupid joke referring to the states history because that was part of their previous discussion- hence the dumb haha.  

Or is this a legitimate thought and feeling of Mr. Fromm?

My biggest issue with this entire thread is people on both sides making wild judgements based on the very limited nature of the tweets.  We do not know what was said in the apology or if any context was provided.  Right now I am going to allow the team to handle this and allow it to run it’s course.  

He made a comment that matched with the states previous history about out pricing minorities, but then included himself in that minority group of people that could not afford it.  Without full disclosure- the context of the tweets and any judgement by either side is just plain wrong.  

If you’re looking for more context, consider the fact that the recipient of the text thought it was bad enough that she hung onto it.

3 hours ago, Rob's House said:

So what do you say for the nearly half of the black community that doesn't believe racism is a major obstacle in their lives?

Do they lack reading comprehension and empathy? Do they need a woke white man to explain their oppression to them?

Because THAT sounds like a profound example of white privilege.

So it’s not an enormous issue because its only a huge obstacle (as opposed to a minor obstacle, regular obstacle, or non obstacle) t 50% of black Americans, then it’s not a huge problem?  THAT is your position?

Cancer isn’t a huge obstacle in the lives of the 50% of people who will never get it.  

11 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

This is exactly why black people are frustrated. In no part of my post did i mention defunding police, facebook or appologies. But that is what YOU hear and respond to. I tried to respond to you on a personal level man to man and you immediately went into defensive mode, In a nutshell, a microcosm of what is going on in our country right now.

Empathy is free. I don' want or need anything from whites. All I want is respect and the freedoms that everyone in this country was promised.

He’d rather assign absurd, extreme positions to you.  That’s easier than discussing your actual words.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, brooklynbill said:

Wow. This is stunning. You conflate being an American man with white skin in a foreign country with black people living in the USA??? Are you suggesting that all black people have to do is work hard and racism would go away? So millions of people in our country and around the world are protesting risking exposure to corona virus because they are lazy?

Thats right, I did conflate - can you believe it !  And guess what, I can conflate anything I want - what’s it to you ? Its a free country.  As for you, go ahead and perpetuate the outrage and be miserable - I don’t care.

You can continue to be stunned and outraged - hope it makes you feel better.  As for me, I’ll stick with my hard work and positive attitude, it’s worked for me.

Racism never goes away - you made that up about me  - fake news on your part.  If you work hard and don’t demand of others, then one is more likely to gain the favor of others / and I’ve seen that work time and time again. That’s my stance and I’m sticking to it. 

Millions of people around the world protesting?? You’re overlooking the hundreds of millions in the USA (or billions around the world) who ARE NOT PROTESTING and equally disgusted - we are the silent majority.

See, I was nice, I addressed all your so called questions and concerns.  

Go ahead, reply with all your repugnant name calling, how stunned you continue to be, and wish me and my family the ultimate agony.  Lol. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
civility

16 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I don't think Fromm is responsible for the acts of his state, much less the historical acts that occurred decades before he was born, nor do I believe they impose any obligation upon him.

Seriously?  No, Fromm is not responsible for the acts of his state nor for historical acts.  But before he shoots off his mouth (or his fingers) you don't think he's obliged to understand the meaning of the stuff he says?  Especially as it applies to the black men he's going to be depending upon for whatever NFL career he has?

Once again: Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom from Consequences.  Fromm is responsible for what he says, we agree so far, right?  Fromm can choose, if he likes, to say stuff that he thinks is a funny har har without obligation to understand the historical context that makes it especially offensive to black men.  Then his teammates and others around the league can choose to think he's a racist jerk they don't want to play with and "check him, no cap". 

He has no obligation to understand history or what the world looks like to them; they have no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Fair?

It does seem odd that in a country where minorities are oppressed by the systemic racism of the majority, that the slightest hint of racism by a member of the majority brings the clear and present threat of professional and social destruction, while the inverse is far from the case.

Look around you at photos of boardrooms....government officials.  Those photos are predominated by white men, many of whom are on factual record as having said various racist sexist or otherwise biased things.  And yet, there they are, untrammeled and unaffected.  But somehow people like yourself get all worked up about some "clear and present threat of professional and social destruction" which never seems to actually take place, whenever there's an attempt to call some of these people to account for what they say.

Witness Fromm.  It is clear he's still on the team, and will be given the opportunity to try to "build a relationship with the team and prove his worth as a player".  So much for all the"cue the violins" stuff about "the crime of making an ironic joke in a private text.... his career potentially over before it begins....he's now a social pariah who will be burdened by this for life." 

Give me a break.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1