Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

I’ll put this here as many wont think it serious 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-perplexed-low-rate-coronavirus-170200046.html

No experts are remotely advocating for people to take up smoking to prevent COVID-19, but some researchers have theorized nicotine may be playing some role in keeping the virus at bay, Vice reports. That's because there's a surprisingly low rate of smokers among coronavirus hospitalizations.

In France, for example, 25 percent of the population smokes, but only 5.3 percent of coronavirus patients have been recorded as smokers, and studies have found low rates in China and New York City, as well.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-perplexed-low-rate-coronavirus-170200046.html

No experts are remotely advocating for people to take up smoking to prevent COVID-19, but some researchers have theorized nicotine may be playing some role in keeping the virus at bay, Vice reports. That's because there's a surprisingly low rate of smokers among coronavirus hospitalizations.

In France, for example, 25 percent of the population smokes, but only 5.3 percent of coronavirus patients have been recorded as smokers, and studies have found low rates in China and New York City, as well.

I guess it depends upon what you’re smoking! This reminded me of when my son had his ACL surgery. Post-op he was on some pretty potent stuff, and he said it didn’t make it hurt any less........he just didn’t care any more! ?‍♂️ 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The numbers may reflect more on the higher age group of senior citizens that stands the most chance of being hospitalized IMO. Many of whom If they have smoked in the past were forced to quit earier in life. Finding a higher number of smokers in our younger generation, (our super carriers flying under the radar) would not surprise me.

Interesting... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Figster said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-finds-coronavirus-could-more-184528558.html

Scientist in Italy have detected Covid 19 attached to small particles of air pollution suggesting area's of higher smog/ air pollution may expand the distance Covid 19 can spread through the air. 

It also may suggest at least IMO the development of something that can be dispersed through the air to weigh Covid 19 particulates down. Something breathable and safe for the environment. Is something we may want to take a real hard look at in my humble opinion.    

Any thoughts on this Hapless?

On a side note the partial shutdown and stay at home order has without a doubt decreased smog/ air pollution across the US.

Hi Figster, I put the study on which this is based up in the Facts-Only thread.

I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

First of all, while this gets sorted out, it highlights the importance of wearing a mask when outside, not just when in the vicinity of people, and not just a scarf over your face - a cloth mask with a shop towel filter or a medical mask that does have large particulate filtration at minimum.  In an ideal world, as you've made the point before, people able to use them properly would have N95 masks available.

Second, keep in mind that Bergamo was a very very high outbreak area.  What it may say is that during a severe outbreak, the virus gets Everywhere and that while normally, time will allow virus to decay to nothing, if it starts super-high there may still be viable virus persisting in the environment.  I've seen photos of using snow cannons to spray hydrogen peroxide around the streets of N. Italian towns, and that may not be the dumb idea it looked like at first.

The primary mode of transmission is likely still close person-to-person contact (coworkers, families, people who came to hospital for test) with possible surface transmission.  The medical saying is "when you hear hooves, don't think of zebras"

Scientists and engineers working on pollution control have been trying to clear particulates out of the air for decades and it's not so easy.  It actually was my spouse's field initially.  The problem is that the scrubbers get to a certain efficiency then there are diminishing returns.

Quietly in the midst of all this, the US has proposed to roll back air pollution restrictions during all of this - and that is probably exactly the OPPOSITE of what should be done.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi Figster, I put the study on which this is based up in the Facts-Only thread.

I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

First of all, while this gets sorted out, it highlights the importance of wearing a mask when outside, not just when in the vicinity of people, and not just a scarf over your face - a cloth mask with a shop towel filter or a medical mask that does have large particulate filtration at minimum.  In an ideal world, as you've made the point before, people able to use them properly would have N95 masks available.

Second, keep in mind that Bergamo was a very very high outbreak area.  What it may say is that during a severe outbreak, the virus gets Everywhere and that while normally, time will allow virus to decay to nothing, if it starts super-high there may still be viable virus persisting in the environment.  I've seen photos of using snow cannons to spray hydrogen peroxide around the streets of N. Italian towns, and that may not be the dumb idea it looked like at first.

The primary mode of transmission is likely still close person-to-person contact (coworkers, families, people who came to hospital for test) with possible surface transmission.  The medical saying is "when you hear hooves, don't think of zebras"

Scientists and engineers working on pollution control have been trying to clear particulates out of the air for decades and it's not so easy.  It actually was my spouse's field initially.  The problem is that the scrubbers get to a certain efficiency then there are diminishing returns.

Quietly in the midst of all this, the US has proposed to roll back air pollution restrictions during all of this - and that is probably exactly the OPPOSITE of what should be done.

Interesting, hydrogen peroxide is toxic when inhaled and on sunny days I could see steam developing and becoming a problem. Alchohol on the other hand evaporates quickly into the air (which may work as a cleansing mechanism) and might prove to be more suitable. 

Honey, the Bud light street mister is driving by, I'm going outside for some brewski. ( buzzed and safe )

I agree on the primary mode of transmission and something we all don't need to lose sight of IMO. 

Does your wife have any idea's Hapless, If you don't mind my asking? Something more natural and safer on the environment like a soap mist or neem oil perhaps?

Thanks for all the educational responses you are giving and for pointing out to everyone the decisions/ compliances we make as individuals can help save countless lives.   

while we're on the subject/ UV Light

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/coronavirus-could-contained-using-uv-010001631.html

Edited by Figster

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It has to fo with crll receptors snd ehat COVID wants to latch onto but other substances also want to thus ... blocking Covid.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

It has to fo with crll receptors snd ehat COVID wants to latch onto but other substances also want to thus ... blocking Covid.

I think the other 20% of smokers/ hospitalizations you are missing quit smoking earlier in life. ( IMO )

Prior lung damage and Covid 19 are not a good combination in my humble opinion.

Nice try for the tobacco industry though... 

27 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think the other 20% of smokers/ hospitalizations you are missing quit smoking earlier in life. ( IMO )

Prior lung damage and Covid 19 are not a good combination in my humble opinion.

Nice try for the tobacco industry though... 

damage is the key word 

and I won't get into a debate about smoking in general.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Figster said:

The numbers may reflect more on the higher age group of senior citizens that stands the most chance of being hospitalized IMO. Many of whom If they have smoked in the past were forced to quit earier in life. Finding a higher number of smokers in our younger generation, (our super carriers flying under the radar) would not surprise me.

Interesting... 

...here is the Monroe County NY (greater Rochester) mortality rate......out of 112 deaths, 109 were age 60 or greater which is 97.3 percent  (no mention of preexisting medical conditions though)....

image.thumb.png.7565e1bf9315952cd19920014ad3934b.png

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...here is the Monroe County NY (greater Rochester) mortality rate......out of 112 deaths, 109 were age 60 or greater which is 97.3 percent  (no mention of preexisting medical conditions though)....

image.thumb.png.7565e1bf9315952cd19920014ad3934b.png

Thanks AFL, 

This helps illustrate the older age group we are talking about that has been hospitalized. 

To be clear while 25% of the population may smoke. A smaller percentage of the ages 60 on up will be smokers. ( Approx. 5 % )

Eventually more information/accurate numbers will become available to the general public of how pre-existing condition may have played a role in Covid 19 fatalities. It would not surprise me if there was an indication that smokers who have quit after smoking for many years were at greater risk from Covid 19 then non smokers. 

Edited by Figster

On 4/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, Figster said:

Interesting, hydrogen peroxide is toxic when inhaled and on sunny days I could see steam developing and becoming a problem. Alchohol on the other hand evaporates quickly into the air (which may work as a cleansing mechanism) and might prove to be more suitable.

I'm not an expert in the rate equations by any means, but hydrogen peroxide is supposed to break down to oxygen and water pretty quickly when exposed to sunlight, which is why it's usually sold in dark bottles.  So the theory (as I understand it anyway) is that the aerosolized hydrogen peroxide will do its disinfectant thing, break down, and not be around to develop into toxic steam vapors.

Hydrogen peroxide vapor has become the go-to decontamination strategy for hospitals and for (hypothetically speaking) manufacturing facilities who are fighting contamination issues.  I'm not sure how they make sure it breaks down quickly enough indoors.

• Like (+1) 1