RIP Robert Conrad (Putting Orson Bean here, too)

RochesterRob

Died Saturday Feb 8..  I always liked his shows even if they were a little over the top at times.  The Wild Wild West.  His Baa Baa Black Sheep was just dusted off for H & I starting last night.  A guilty pleasure of mine watching BBBS.  Battery spokesman who dared you to knock it off of his shoulder.  Team captain for NBC on Battle of the Network Stars.  A bright spot during my growing up years.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 3

Orsen bean .... regular on Hollywood Squares, or am I thinking of Charles Nelson Reilly?  Also, wasn’t he in The Poesiden Adventure?  The one who was crushing on Carol Linley?  As far as Conrad, I remember the battery commercial and the fact that my mom had a pic of her and him when she saw him in a hotel lobby in Manila ....

Orson Bean was on occasionally on Match Game.  Charles Nelson  Reilly was a regular on Match Game. Sat in the upper right seat next to Brett Sommers.Red Buttons had the crush on Carol Linley in the Poeidon Adventure.

Edited by Wacka

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Orsen bean .... regular on Hollywood Squares, or am I thinking of Charles Nelson Reilly?  Also, wasn’t he in The Poesiden Adventure?  The one who was crushing on Carol Linley?  As far as Conrad, I remember the battery commercial and the fact that my mom had a pic of her and him when she saw him in a hotel lobby in Manila ....

Charles was the flamboyant unmarried man. and Richard Dawson was the brains on Match Game

8 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Sadly neither mentioned tonight at The Oscars ?

Kind of surprising with Conrad as there were few names that were bigger on television from 1960 to 1980.  Chalk it up to both Conrad and Bean were a part of grandpa's entertainment and most likely were not woke personalities.  Celebs under the age of 50 don't give a darn.

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

"Say your prayers yank!"

??????????

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

i enjoyed Black Sheep Squadron

I did back in the day and do today.  I do keep in mind that the composition of VMF 214 was seriously reconstructed for the series and Boyington's real flyers were highly regarded Marine aviators.  I guess that NBC back then figured that such a series would not get off of the ground without a fair amount of fisticuffs.  It should be noted that the portrayals of the television Boyington's superiors were a substantial degree to true especially with Col Lard (Col Smoak in real life).  

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Remember watching the Wild Wild West & Bonanza on TV.  They were the earliest TV shows, that I was interested in,  shown in color.  Used to be a big deal at one time.

Orson was a few years earlier, mostly B&W game shows but may have been on TV more years.

Normally a Western back then would have been shot in black and white but NBC and Republic Pictures wanted to give Bonanza a good launch so NBC was willing to foot the bill for color.

Edited by RochesterRob