Flutie talking Bills and Allen

sunshynman

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Flutie came in and turned around a clown show with Rob Johnson as QB that was going nowhere quick.  The Bills then ripped off a bunch of wins, took the AFC East and were a force to be reckoned with.  Unfortunately they drew the Titans and it was a matchup of the two best teams in the AFC in the wild card round - despite what the records said about the other teams in the AFC (the Bills had to climb out of a 0-3 hole with Johnson as QB and the Titans came into their own maturing that season with McNair as well).  It was inexplicable that the team chose to go with the guy that started them off with an 0-3 start and benched the guy that turned it around.  It's one of the most head scratching choices in NFL history.  And Rob Johnson actually played decent in the game - so I'm not taking that away from the team or the decision to play him - but you have got to go with the guy who got you there, was a more vocal leader and capable of pulling games out of his ass.  Maybe it wouldn't have mattered at all, but you can certainly understand Flutie's chip on his shoulder about the situation.

RJ was going no where quick? Look again on the two games against St Louis and the 49ers that RJ started. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199809200buf.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199810040buf.htm 33 and 25 points respectively. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

2nd wow, lots of continued angst here, because JK was never ever an arrogant me first guy, sure he softened up after a while, and played the good teammate, but that’s not the JK that first came to Buffalo, and we all know that. Boy you guys a testy, beer ? time ??

Go Bills!!!

Kelly refuses to come here and single handedly straight the bickering Bills which almost destroyed the SB teams.  He also was wide reported to be party during SB week (say what you want to about Brady but he would never have done that).  There are almost millions of awful Kelly stories.  Flutie was an angel next to him.  The hate he gets is so dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

RJ was going no where quick? Look again on the two games against St Louis and the 49ers that RJ started. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199809200buf.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199810040buf.htm 33 and 25 points respectively. 

That RJ was in effect let go, says a lot about his overall play long term, I don’t Know how you see his departure,  but at least for me it says he wasn’t seen as a good option for the team. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

That RJ was traded, says a lot about his overall play long term, I don’t Know how you see it,  but at least for me it does.

Go Bills!!!

Valid and Doug Flutie with his 20 year career never lasting more than 4 years in any one spot says a lot too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Kelly refuses to come here and single handedly straight the bickering Bills which almost destroyed the SB teams.  He also was wide reported to be party during SB week (say what you want to about Brady but he would never have done that).  There are almost millions of awful Kelly stories.  Flutie was an angel next to him.  The hate he gets is so dumb. 

In the midst of “singlehandedly starting the bickering Bills” (which actually started when Burkett threatened to quit because he got benched), Kelly also made darn sure that Reich was as prepared to play as possible while Kelly was out with the injury that Ballard’s missed block caused.

That alone puts him MILES ahead of Flutie as a teammate.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When he came back to Buffalo this year to re-launch his flakes that was the first time he'd been back to the area since he played for the team!

When you consider the effort that so many gullible, celebrity slobbering fans invested in him you'd think he'd have been back a few times in the past 20 years.....but nope...........not til he had some more product to sell.

Yes there are WORSE characters in the NFL but he's about as self-centered as any of them.

Why would he want to come back? He was involved in a huge QB controversy and had the starting job taken from him in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would he want to come back? He was involved in a huge QB controversy and had the starting job taken from him in the playoffs.

He had it taken away from for playing like crap. Maybe if he was able to produce more than 16 points a game down the stretch he could have kept his job. I mean the same thing happened to RJ the year before but why don't the Flutopians want to talk about that? I know why, it doesn't fit the narrative that the little engine that could. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

In the midst of “singlehandedly starting the bickering Bills” (which actually started when Burkett threatened to quit because he got benched), Kelly also made darn sure that Reich was as prepared to play as possible while Kelly was out with the injury that Ballard’s missed block caused.

That alone puts him MILES ahead of Flutie as a teammate.

Guaranteed I was young for this, but what did Flutie do that was worse than the starting qb calling out his LT and having Thurman Thomas then call our Kelly?  Or getting hammered all SB when you’re the supposed leader of the team?  

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He had it taken away from for playing like crap. Maybe if he was able to produce more than 16 points a game down the stretch he could have kept his job. I mean the same thing happened to RJ the year before but why don't the Flutopians want to talk about that? I know why, it doesn't fit the narrative that the little engine that could. 

Yeah, RJ crushed it.  It’s hilarious that the people who bash Flutie always fail to realize the team and offense got miraculous worse when he didn’t play.  RJ sucks. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Guaranteed I was young for this, but what did Flutie do that was worse than the starting qb calling out his LT and having Thurman Thomas then call our Kelly?  Or getting hammered all SB when you’re the supposed leader of the team?  

Yeah, RJ crushed it.  It’s hilarious that the people who bash Flutie always fail to realize the team and offense got miraculous worse when he didn’t play.  RJ sucks. 

Look again, Flutie's team averaged 16 points a game his last six starts in 1999, in RJ's only start they got revitalized and scored 31 in the seasonal finale against a Colts team that Flutie played in Week 1 and mustered only 14 points against. Face it RJ and Flutie sucked!!!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not saying that Kelly was a model person; I’m saying that Flutie was consistently a back-stabbing, negative influence on that locker room.

There were more than a few rumblings that Flutie would rather RJ play poorly and the team lose as opposed to helping the team win even if it didn’t make him look good.

The worst part was that he didn’t have to do it; eventually his play on the field proved him right (with regard to Johnson—not that it means much; he wasn’t very good, but he was the better of the two).

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

So again, why would Flutie want to come back if he perceives the coaches and ownership took away his starting job?

Just now, MJS said:

So again, why would Flutie want to come back if he perceives the coaches and ownership took away his starting job?

I wouldn't want him back hell I didn't want him when he first signed here and why I started the Flutie Haters website because of his piss poor play in his first stint in the NFL and countless reports of being a bad teammate elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’m not saying that Kelly was a model person; I’m saying that Flutie was consistently a back-stabbing, negative influence on that locker room.

There were more than a few rumblings that Flutie would rather RJ play poorly and the team lose as opposed to helping the team win even if it didn’t make him look good.

The worst part was that he didn’t have to do it; eventually his play on the field proved him right (with regard to Johnson—not that it means much; he wasn’t very good, but he was the better of the two).

Thanks for that explanation.  I probably shouldn’t admit it but whenever I played a sport and I thought there was a guy worse than me who was playing over me, I struggled to support them and won’t mind if they played bad.  We might be splitting hairs, but I think the Kelly stuff is way worse.  Could you imagine Tom Brady getting hammered during SB week?

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Look again, Flutie's team averaged 16 points a game his last six starts in 1999, in RJ's only start they got revitalized and scored 31 in the seasonal finale against a Colts team that Flutie played in Week 1 and mustered only 14 points against. Face it RJ and Flutie sucked!!!

We beat the Titans without that bad karma.  RJ was awful in that game.  

but I guess it’s finally time to move on haha.  

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I wouldn't want him back hell I didn't want him when he first signed here and why I started the Flutie Haters website because of his piss poor play in his first stint in the NFL and countless reports of being a bad teammate elsewhere. 

My original comment was in regards to a poster complaining that Flutie didn't return to visit Buffalo until recently, as if that's a reason we should all hate him. So I asked why he would want to return to a city and team when he left on bad terms?

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

My original comment was in regards to a poster complaining that Flutie didn't return to visit Buffalo until recently, as if that's a reason we should all hate him. So I asked why he would want to return to a city and team when he left on bad terms?

i had heard......

day one at Bills Camp after the tough loss in that playoff game

they called in both RJ and Flutie and had an interview with them as if they had never met before, making them talk about their background and hopes/wishes for the future and their view on what to do with the team

Doug was not remotely impressed like this, made sure to talk about it at the next presser

not a fan but i never blamed him for one second

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Valid and Doug Flutie with his 20 year career never lasting more than 4 years in any one spot says a lot too. 

Valid point,  on the other hand, Rob Johnson, nine years, five teams, says a bit less, just sayin ???

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

he was a cancer and defenses figured him out.

50 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Valid point,  on the other hand, Rob Johnson, nine years, five teams, says a bit less, just sayin ???

Go Bills!!!

they both sucked r.j. a lot more

The reason the Kelly Bills offense was so successful — besides that they were extremely talented — is because they were ahead of the curve of the NFL with the no-huddle vertical shotgun offense. 

Flutie's right — had the offense played to his strengths and ran a real RPO offense — the late 90s Bills could've had a much stronger offense to complement the stout Ds we had.