Browns hiring Alex Van Pelt as OC

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I suspect job one for AVP is going to be putting his foot up Baker’s arse.  It’ll be interesting to see how they work together.  Baker had a QB coach he loved his rookie year and he looked like the real deal.  Then in Year 2 he had one he clashed with and he fell to the bottom of the league.  There is a ton riding on this hire.  I don’t know much about AVP, but I did read where Aaron Rodgers was pissed off when the team didn’t retain him.  That speaks well for him.  On the other side, Baker knows he effed up last season and he may be ready for the hard coaching he’s going to get.  I hope these two click. 

When you're dealing with a highly-paid veteran player, the player wanting the coach to stick around can mean more than one thing, right?

It could mean he felt the coaching he got from AVP was on-point and helpful to his success as a QB and conveyed in a way he could accept readily

or

It could mean AVP stayed out of his face, left him alone, and focused on the rest of the room, and that's what he wants to retain.

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Its working for Nate Hackett in Green Bay as their HC calls the plays.

I didn't mind AVP in Buffalo as QB coach as he simply wasn't ready to be the OC just yet. Good for him as he has good talent on that team. 

Aaron Rodgers was furious that Alex was replaced without talking to him.

Alex apparently connected with him like he did Jim.

It is a good hire for Browns.

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Don't get me wrong.   Good for him.

my comment was to -  How much good comes from Cleveland in a 3 to 5 year span?  

If somehow the Browns become a better team and win a playoff game or two because of AVP's coaching he might be in discussion for a HC job.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If somehow the Browns become a better team and win a playoff game or two because of AVP's coaching he might be in discussion for a HC job.

I might be misremembering but I vaguely recall AVP getting HC interviews a few years ago when he was in GB

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When you're dealing with a highly-paid veteran player, the player wanting the coach to stick around can mean more than one thing, right?

It could mean he felt the coaching he got from AVP was on-point and helpful to his success as a QB and conveyed in a way he could accept readily

or

It could mean AVP stayed out of his face, left him alone, and focused on the rest of the room, and that's what he wants to retain.

Sure.  Rodgers’ comments could be due to a lot of different reasons, but those are pretty much all good or neutral where AVP is concerned.  It’s a lot better than Rodgers being happy he was gone, right?  At minimum it means nothing, at best it’s a good sign. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well that was 11 years ago... and he kind of got thrown into the fire. He may have learned, grown, and developed as a coach since then 

Yeah. He had like a week before the season started and had to use the garbage scheme that got the original OC fired.  That one really wasn’t on AVP. 

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Doughboy gets a gig. I wish him and that entire staff good luck in getting game plan approvals from the analytic nerds sitting at the table.

Alex has had no problems being hired.  I used to have to review a lot of resumes and one of things I needed to do was look for gaps.  NFL has more gaps than real life but Alex has been employed consistently.  I do wonder why he was hired as RB coach once however.

As coach:

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   Its a paycheck, though.   

Not seeing a real good personality fit between AVP and the Commercial King, however...

I think it’s a pretty good fit actually. Mr State Farm threw a tizzy when Van Pelt was let go in GB. His relationship with Rodgers and his own playing experience likely provides more clout than some other possible hires. That’s probably needed when dealing with Baker. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think it’s a pretty good fit actually. Mr State Farm threw a tizzy when Van Pelt was let go in GB. His relationship with Rodgers and his own playing experience likely provides more clout than some other possible hires. That’s probably needed when dealing with Baker. 

You could be right.    AVP always got along with the prima donna's.     But I'd bet that Mayfield is a lot tougher to deal with than Rogers, just due to the generational and talent difference. 

Good luck Alex.    The Brownies have a lot of work to do...

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

Uncanny, the similarity in body type. 

4 muscles, 1 flab

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/baker-mayfield-is-brutally-honest-about-2019-season-i-put-my-foot-in-my-mouth-a-lot-this-year-175341453.html

Baker Mayfield is brutally honest about 2019 season: 'I put my foot in my mouth a lot this year'

“It’s a humbling experience. It’s a different ball game. I mean, let’s just be honest, I put my foot in my mouth a lot this past year,” Mayfield said. “And I’m going to internalize that, and I think that’s the way I need to handle it.”

40 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

4 muscles, 1 flab

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/baker-mayfield-is-brutally-honest-about-2019-season-i-put-my-foot-in-my-mouth-a-lot-this-year-175341453.html

Baker Mayfield is brutally honest about 2019 season: 'I put my foot in my mouth a lot this year'

“It’s a humbling experience. It’s a different ball game. I mean, let’s just be honest, I put my foot in my mouth a lot this past year,” Mayfield said. “And I’m going to internalize that, and I think that’s the way I need to handle it.”

And just like that, Rex liked him again.