The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

32 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

You'll notice they didn't mention it was fish tank cleaner until the very last tweet of the thread... after blaming Trump multiple times.

This was the original article that I posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-in-an-attempt-to-prevent-coronavirus/ar-BB11B8qd?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=U452DHP

An Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate in an attempt to protect himself from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the drug, and is currently under critical care.

Medical staff shows on February 26, 2020 at the IHU Mediterranee Infection Institute in Marseille, a packet of Nivaquine, tablets containing chloroquine, a commonly used malaria drug that has shown signs of effectiveness against coronavirus, according to a study conducted in several Chinese hospitals. - The Mediterranee infection Institute in Marseille based in La Timone Hospital is at the forefront of the prevention against coronavirus in France. (Photo by GERARD JULIEN / AFP) (Photo by GERARD JULIEN/AFP via Getty Images)Medical staff shows on February 26, 2020 at the IHU Mediterranee Infection Institute in Marseille, a packet of Nivaquine, tablets containing chloroquine, a commonly used malaria drug that has shown signs of effectiveness against coronavirus, according to a study conducted in several Chinese hospitals. - The Mediterranee infection Institute in Marseille based in La Timone Hospital is at the forefront of the prevention against coronavirus in France. (Photo by GERARD JULIEN / AFP) (Photo by GERARD JULIEN/AFP via Getty Images)

The drug chloroquine is used to treat malaria, and some early research suggests it may be useful in treating COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

"Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so," Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director for Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement.

A press release from Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the husband and wife, both in their 60s, took an additive called chloroquine phosphate used to clean fish tanks, to try to prevent coronavirus.

Within half an hour, both needed to seek emergency medical care. The man later died.

During a press conference last week, President Trump touted the drug for its potential, however the Food and Drug Administration later said it had not approved chloroquine for the coronavirus, and that much more study was needed.

“Rather more generically, we have put into power a class of people whose skill set is a very partial match to what this situation truly requires. That mismatch may be the result of irrelevant aptitudes, destructive ideologies, or simply bad attitudes. Among the things we will be learning is just how maladaptive much of our governing class is. And don’t forget, they come from the general population, although my sense is that Murray’s ‘cognitive elite’ isn’t exactly covering itself with glory here.”

Related:

Screen-Shot-2020-03-24-at-9.33.44-AM-525

Where are your "Cuomo is going to get people killed" posts ???

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I mentioned in another thread that I like to look at behavior and see what those in the know are saying.  I think this is a positive sign, and the fact that Cuomo is beginning to echo the sentiment(s) of reopening the economy is a good thing.  I have no major issues with his handling thus far--and I can't stand the guy on a regular basis---but his initial comments involved analogies of tsunami's crushing the health care system, and of doom and gloom.  I'm not criticizing him for that, just my opinion.  There was very little tht was positive or of the "Look, we're strong, we're tough, we're NYers and we'll get through this together:".     

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

“Rather more generically, we have put into power a class of people whose skill set is a very partial match to what this situation truly requires. That mismatch may be the result of irrelevant aptitudes, destructive ideologies, or simply bad attitudes. Among the things we will be learning is just how maladaptive much of our governing class is. And don’t forget, they come from the general population, although my sense is that Murray’s ‘cognitive elite’ isn’t exactly covering itself with glory here.”

Related:

Screen-Shot-2020-03-24-at-9.33.44-AM-525

Where are your "Cuomo is going to get people killed" posts ???

You just sit here all day cutting and pasting every piece of Propaganda that's put out by Right Wing Central lies? What a tool you are 

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Trump just said that the hope (not plan, hope) is to have everything open by Easter. 

Day 15 is Monday or Tuesday (I know my get-out-of-the-house-day is Monday)? With nothing open there is a better chance of people staying inside, but again, how long can those closed small businesses survive? Every day they remain shuttered, every day with no orders, is a day closer to them closing, government "loans" or no government loans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Day 15 is Monday or Tuesday (I know my get-out-of-the-house-day is Monday)? With nothing open there is a better chance of people staying inside, but again, how long can those closed small businesses survive? Every day they remain shuttered, every day with no orders, is a day closer to them closing, government "loans" or no government loans.

Yup, that's the dilemma and I don't envy those who have to make that call. It's lose-lose potentially. 

It's Day 12 of my lock down, but only Day 5 of LA's 30 day lock down. So I'm in for a long month.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

NYC cases expected to peak in 2 weeks per Cuomo. Buffalo is a couple of weeks behind NYC.

Edited by Gary Busey