The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How many people in the US and the world are you Ok with dying?  Give me a number.

I was not ok wit the 40k that died in NY and not ok with the 220K plus that dies in US. That said, The day they pulled me from the birth canal I started dying. I don't want to loose anyone I love but they will go back to dust someday. I know 1 person that committed suicide because he couldn't take this pandemic so our lockdown didn't help him. The list goes on. People die. We cant stop that bud. But I am willing to make my life a number to win back my rights. Many of which were taken for "my health and wellbeing" and for the "common good of all". Here is a question for you and it is as ignorant as the one you asked me. What rights are you willing to give up permanently or over and over again for 1 life?

9 minutes ago, spartacus said:

even in current "hotspots" around the world- the mortality rates are not skyrocketing

they are in fact still dropping

95% of those testing positive do not have symptoms and are not sick

of those that get sick, 99.7% successfully recover

use treatments the the media continually tries to sabotage

take zinc - which boosts your immune system to stop the replication of the virus

the proper plan would be to spread it as quickly as possible to use up the remaining hosts

masks are a joke because it is a physical impossibility for a mask to stop a .27 micron virus particle

...IMO, the majority of the general public does not know that or even what it means.....besides, they're bombarded with so damn many "do's and don't's" that they don't know what to believe.....at the same time, the visual of people wearing masks serves as a security blanket with people a bit more confident about going out in public....without that, how many MORE would stay confined, damaging the economy even worse.....enough businesses are closing putting more employees out of work now....why not just be prudent, "go with the flow" and wear a mask in public versus being combative and defiant?......how many people have already been killed over mask arguments?..................

3 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I was not ok wit the 40k that died in NY and not ok with the 220K plus that dies in US. That said, The day they pulled me from the birth canal I started dying. I don't want to loose anyone I love but they will go back to dust someday. I know 1 person that committed suicide because he couldn't take this pandemic so our lockdown didn't help him. The list goes on. People die. We cant stop that bud. But I am willing to make my life a number to win back my rights. Many of which were taken for "my health and wellbeing" and for the "common good of all". Here is a question for you and it is as ignorant as the one you asked me. What rights are you willing to give up permanently or over and over again for 1 life?

What rights did you give up?  Seriously.  And what rights is anyone saying you give up permanently?  Wearing a mask does not violate your rights any more than having to wear a shirt into a business does.  We can assemble now as long as we wear masks and we check the number of people to a reasonable degree.  I go to church every week now.  Go to work. Go out to eat.  As Bills fans we all want the stadium to open again, but is that a right?

we had to make some adjustments to be sure but no one has permanently lost their rights under the Constitution.

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...IMO, the majority of the general public does not know that or even what it means.....besides, they're bombarded with so damn many "do's and don't's" that they don't know what to believe.....at the same time, the visual of people wearing masks serves as a security blanket with people a bit more confident about going out in public....without that, how many MORE would stay confined, damaging the economy even worse.....enough businesses are closing putting more employees out of work now....why not just be prudent, "go with the flow" and wear a mask in public versus being combative and defiant?......how many people have already been killed over mask arguments?..................

Thank you my friend.  Nice to see a voice of reason.

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What rights did you give up?  Seriously.  And what rights is anyone saying you give up permanently?  Wearing a mask does not violate your rights any more than having to wear a shirt into a business does.  We can assemble now as long as we wear masks and we check the number of people to a reasonable degree.  I go to church every week now.  Go to work. Go out to eat.  As Bills fans we all want the stadium to open again, but is that a right?

we had to make some adjustments to be sure but no one has permanently lost their rights under the Constitution.

Saying you have no right to choose to cover your face or not. My wife has a hairdresser who has a gum disease now because she has to wear them to bring in an income. She is a single mom and that is seeing a doctor about it. Money out of her pocket and the dr said the only way to stop it is to wear her mask less often. But she cant even if the one other person in her chair says it is ok BECAUSE NY GIVES HER NO CHOICE! You have no right to go to church when we give the right to protest by looting and rioting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

Saying you have no right to choose to cover your face or not. My wife has a hairdresser who has a gum disease now because she has to wear them to bring in an income. She is a single mom and that is seeing a doctor about it. Money out of her pocket and the dr said the only way to stop it is to wear her mask less often. But she cant even if the one other person in her chair says it is ok BECAUSE NY GIVES HER NO CHOICE! You have no right to go to church when we give the right to protest by looting and rioting. 

...that is difficult and hopefully an isolated case.....perhaps a shield is equally protective yet not a contributor to her gum disease.....hopefully she considers OTC gum disease deterrents like Sensodyne or Parodontax to help her condition......

8 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I go to church every week.  I agree with peaceful protests and disavow looting and rioting by any group, left or right wing (and there have been both).  And I’m sorry for your ex’s hairdresser but as one who teaches anatomy and physiology I am unclear how a mask would cause periodontal disease.  Regardless, telling folks they have to wear a mask at work during a pandemic is not a violation of some inherent right, it is a condition of employment.  

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...that is difficult and hopefully an isolated case.....perhaps a shield is equally protective yet not a contributor to her gum disease.....hopefully she considers OTC gum disease deterrents like Sensodyne or Parodontax to help her condition......

Well stated my friend.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I go to church every week.  I agree with peaceful protests and disavow looting and rioting by any group, left or right wing (and there have been both).  And I’m sorry for your ex’s hairdresser but as one who teaches anatomy and physiology I am unclear how a mask would cause periodontal disease.  Regardless, telling folks they have to wear a mask at work during a pandemic is not a violation of some inherent right, it is a condition of employment.  

..have to agree my friend......perhaps a developing gingivitis condition that the dentist blew in early detection, but now having the convenience (COUGH) of the "COVID-19 CARD"??...you're our scientist so I'm just layperson babbling....

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..have to agree my friend......perhaps a developing gingivitis condition that the dentist blew in early detection, but now having the convenience (COUGH) of the "COVID-19 CARD"??...you're our scientist so I'm just layperson babbling....

Yeah I actually started as a dental student before switching to grad school.  Gum disease is usually due to poor oral hygiene.  Not sure how a mask would exacerbate that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

you are correct,  the public has no idea how a mask is helping

they have no ability to evaluate what they are being told is complete bull hockey- even when Fauci himself lauged at masks

better to understand there are treatments available and things you can do to enhance your immune system that would actually improve your odds of recovering

why spend all of your intellilect on defending hiding behind a mask that won't protect you

why is the media not promoting the treatments?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah I actually started as a dental student before switching to grad school.  Gum disease is usually due to poor oral hygiene.  Not sure how a mask would exacerbate that.

Pretend for a moment that viruses aren't the only microbial that can and will cause damage to your respiratory systems. When you exhale, fungus and bacteria will collect inside your mask, and with enhance relative humidity and CO2 levels, your respiratory system and mouth (including your gums) is ripe for inflammation. If you are eating crappy foods loaded with sugar, these particular microbial colonies thrive in such a situation. There is nothing normal about wearing such a Petri dish over your mouth for hours on end. It has it's own risks that you will never know about, or much less understand, if Dr. Fauci doesn't come on TV and tell you. Try wearing a motorcycle helmet all day with the visor down, and all of your problems will be mitigated.

38 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Pretend for a moment that viruses aren't the only microbial that can and will cause damage to your respiratory systems. When you exhale, fungus and bacteria will collect inside your mask, and with enhance relative humidity and CO2 levels, your respiratory system and mouth (including your gums) is ripe for inflammation. If you are eating crappy foods loaded with sugar, these particular microbial colonies thrive in such a situation. There is nothing normal about wearing such a Petri dish over your mouth for hours on end. It has it's own risks that you will never know about, or much less understand, if Dr. Fauci doesn't come on TV and tell you. Try wearing a motorcycle helmet all day with the visor down, and all of your problems will be mitigated.

Dude, I have my doctorate, been doing research and clinical work for 40 years, and I think I can be pretty sure I have a firmer grasp of science than you.  I am more than capable of formulating opinions without the benefit of Dr. Fauci, although why folks like you continue to ignore the advice of the pre-eminent authority on infectious disease remains insane.

Gum or periodontal disease generally comes from poor oral hygiene.  Wearing a mask, even if it does hold in bacteria or fungi as you believe, does not mean you cannot brush your teeth and floss.  Those are the ways you prevent gingivitis.  I would be very interested to know the particular disease thus individual has.  I am trying to figure out how a situation such as you think happened would result in a localized gingival issue and not a more systemic issue.

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

you are correct,  the public has no idea how a mask is helping

they have no ability to evaluate what they are being told is complete bull hockey- even when Fauci himself lauged at masks

better to understand there are treatments available and things you can do to enhance your immune system that would actually improve your odds of recovering

why spend all of your intellilect on defending hiding behind a mask that won't protect you

why is the media not promoting the treatments?

They should.  I don’t think anyone would argue against better overall health in facing down Covid.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

They are supposed to wear a shield in addition to a mask.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Dude, I have my doctorate, been doing research and clinical work for 40 years, and I think I can be pretty sure I have a firmer grasp of science than you.  I am more than capable of formulating opinions without the benefit of Dr. Fauci, although why folks like you continue to ignore the advice of the pre-eminent authority on infectious disease remains insane.

Gum or periodontal disease generally comes from poor oral hygiene.  Wearing a mask, even if it does hold in bacteria or fungi as you believe, does not mean you cannot brush your teeth and floss.  Those are the ways you prevent gingivitis.  I would be very interested to know the particular disease thus individual has.  I am trying to figure out how a situation such as you think happened would result in a localized gingival issue and not a more systemic issue.

They should.  I don’t think anyone would argue against better overall health in facing down Covid.

Congratulations on getting your doctorate. Some of them make great employees. However, your knowledge of microbiology is imperceptible. Carry on...

• Like (+1) 1

Once again the conversation devolves into the effectiveness of masks. But I put it to all of you that that’s NOT the appropriate discussion. It may have been in March, but it’s almost November people! The stock room has been resupplied. The treatments are now developed. The vulnerable demographic is now known. Today’s discussion is about whether we’d be better off reaching some amount a Covid saturation so this thing will pass thru more quickly. I wear my mask because society is telling everyone it’s expected and because I can’t buy food without it! But I honestly think we’d be better off to get on with it....and put this chapter behind us.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Nope. Not so isolated. But go ahead. Keep making excuses. I will, well, follow the doctors. https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's not like there aren't laws that say you can't walk around naked already. This just seems like such a crazy hill to literally die on.

Great job picking a small piece of the statement and making a point. Climb that hill alone.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Well stated my friend.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/ Her Dentist is telling her she needs to be open less and wear a mask less. He knows her history and that she never had a problem. you know how he knows that? Because he has seen her for the last 15 years twice a year. You teach what you know. Go out and learn some more instead of saying what you dont know.