The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

On 5/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, Dante said:

I bet any money the 77 patients they had were homeless. Alcohol poisoning, exposure, drug abuse, hit by a car etc. They had the sniffles so the liars labeled it covid because they have to justify docking that tub there somehow. 

Probably. The ships were designated for patients that didn't have Covid so they wouldn't have to go to the hospitals dealing with Covid. Though I believe they changed that policy for the NYC ship due to need.

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just watched the CEO on Squawk..really impressive. Market was up about 300 before he spoke, up 600 now. And at least these guys are going to make money on it..they talked a bit about pricing. Not like thse chuckleheads at Gilead, giving away Remisdiverer(sp) .. you know guys like me who have held Gilead fro 6 years were so happy with that news!!!!!

Why do you want to make money off the backs of the dead ?

11 hours ago, BillStime said:

It’s good to know Trump has opened the door to investigating former presidents.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b0959e1f3ee4b2bbe901c0c051241704.jpeg

You think this President is first to investigate a prior administration?

36 minutes ago, Magox said:

Very good news.   Whichever country can get to it first it will serve as a huge boon for that countries standing in the world.

I think you're going to end up seeing a few vaccines for this. I believe the UK one is a touch further along. I don't really care what country comes up with it. I'm amazed by the great work of the best minds in the world to do this so quickly. 

20 hours ago, GG said:

Data from NYC zip codes shows the highest correlation is to household size.   You figure population density is consistent in 4 of the 5 Boros

The map tries to overlay age, poverty and even prevalence of asthma, and none of them correlate as highly as household size.  

Population density is surely up there. I've maintained for a while now that reliance on public transportation is higher. It's truly a shame that NYC took so long to sanitize the trains.

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

I think you're going to end up seeing a few vaccines for this. I believe the UK one is a touch further along. I don't really care what country comes up with it. I'm amazed by the great work of the best minds in the world to do this so quickly. 

Hmm, had not seen any news recently, google search showed this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/doubts-oxford-vaccine-fails-stop-coronavirus-animal-trials/

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I was thinking about this the other day. With the entire scientific world working this problem right now, I’ll be shocked if they don’t solve it in record time. I can’t recall such an internationally intense focus on a single issue in my lifetime. Makes you wonder what other problems could be solved with a similar intention.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Population density is surely up there. I've maintained for a while now that reliance on public transportation is higher. It's truly a shame that NYC took so long to sanitize the trains.

Not only crowded public transportation, but it's a more vertical city, with lots of people using elevators daily. It's not like that in Los Angeles, for sure.

Edited by Prickly Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’ve put it in my head that there’s never going to be an effective vaccine for this.

We are gonna have to live with this virus floating around. I’ll be happy to be wrong, of course.

1 minute ago, Prickly Pete said:

Not only crowded public transportation, but it's a more vertical city, with lots of people using elevators daily. It's not like that in Los Angeles, for sure.

Good point. I'd consider elevators in the same category as public transit for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I'm sure that there will be as whoever is the first to make it won't have enough global supply.  You would think that in the process of ramping up production and distribution another Vaccine developer will have come on line.   

With that said, you should care of who makes it first.   I know I was discussing the sense of national pride and standing but the reason why it will be important to be first if not soon after is that whoever makes it first will distribute it to their people first.   Then after that, who knows would have dibs and be next in line. 

So yeah, being first makes a difference, a big difference.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I’ve put it in my head that there’s never going to be an effective vaccine for this.

We are gonna have to live with this virus floating around. I’ll be happy to be wrong, of course.

It would be very important to restore public confidence.

Personally and for my family, it's not important.  We have decided not to take the vaccine.   But for my parents, we are recommending that they do.

Truth be told, the idea of injecting a vaccine after it has been developed in record time with processes that are being shortened doesn't appeal to me, especially knowing that COVID 19 for my wife, kids and myself is no more dangerous than the common flu.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

These trials by Moderna are really positive. Having said that, at best widespread use early 2021 according to everything i have read.Now, they are stating this vaccine may be available in fall on an emergency basis...what that is I have not been able to ascertain.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm sure that there will be as whoever is the first to make it won't have enough global supply.  You would think that in the process of ramping up production and distribution another Vaccine developer will have come on line.   

With that said, you should care of who makes it first.   I know I was discussing the sense of national pride and standing but the reason why it will be important to be first if not soon after is that whoever makes it first will distribute it to their people first.   Then after that, who knows would have dibs and be next in line. 

Well, sure looks now like MOderna is way ahead, but i may be making a leap just based on this morning's news. What i did not catch this morning is if Moderna is ramping up production even before approval.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, snafu said:

a COVID-19 vaccine will be available on the same time line as the vaccines for the prior severe outbreaks of SARS, MERS, H1-N1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

To clarify, population density is surely a major factor.  But you need to dig deeper to see why there's a huge disparity in infection rates and deaths across the boros and neighborhoods.   Manhattan is the most densely packed, but has the lowest rates in NYC.

43 minutes ago, Magox said:

Whoever develops it first will get it out through a global production chain. That is certain. Your vaccine may be made in the US, India, or France--no matter who develops it. 

I'll feel pride but I suspect no matter what company does it first, it will have been developed by an international team. 

It would be very important to restore public confidence.

In science? Have you been reading the thread here about people who won't take it, don't believe masks work? 

We have decided not to take the vaccine. 

Truth be told, the idea of injecting a vaccine after it has been developed in record time with processes that are being shortened doesn't appeal to me, especially knowing that COVID 19 for my wife, kids and myself is no more dangerous than the common flu.

It is more dangerous than the common flu and puts many more people in the hospital and for long periods of time than the flu. You take it to protect others whose immune systems are compromised, where the vaccine doesn't take, or who are neglected. The vaccine helps create the herd immunity without putting yourself at risk of getting it and spreading it. 

People not taking vaccines are why the measles and other once-nearly-eradicated diseases are returning. I encourage you to read up on how important vaccines are. 

56 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I was thinking about this the other day. With the entire scientific world working this problem right now, I’ll be shocked if they don’t solve it in record time. I can’t recall such an internationally intense focus on a single issue in my lifetime. Makes you wonder what other problems could be solved with a similar intention.

There is an element of “dropping other research” happening now too. Instead of 1000 projects to address 1000 diseases, we have 1000 projects to fix one. 

We are using known techniques to get at this one so there was never a lot of doubt we’d crack it. We just want to get it before it changes enough to render our approach useless. 

36 minutes ago, Magox said:

But we need more testing!

Yesterday's problems which were real are not today's problems. We probably have enough active-case testing. Now we need to get the rapid testing together--the accuracy of those tests will have to be fixed first, then the availability next.  

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, sure looks now like MOderna is way ahead, but i may be making a leap just based on this morning's news. What i did not catch this morning is if Moderna is ramping up production even before approval.

The Oxford team is testing more widely. Both are developing quickly.

I also doubt we have much of a read on what is happening in China, where some vaccine could pop up too.