The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, GG said:

Why?  It's the only truism that's come out of this mess so far.

I agree wholeheartedly, it's not so much that I want to protect China in any form, just generally speaking I don't like to speak in such absolute terms.  Unless it has to do with the media :lol:

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I guess I'm not surprised that you think you were clear.

I'm also guessing that you can show that the actions by the Hasidim are contributing to the growth of the outbreak?

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

According to the CDC website there have a total of FOUR Covid deaths of any K12 aged student anywhere in America and yet we closed every school in the country. Yes....that’s right....FOUR! 

Apparently you've missed the news about how an asymptomatic carrier can spread the virus. 

15 minutes ago, GG said:

I thought I did.

Any chance you're going to come down on those people who posted the pics of the bacon masks yesterday?  They still need your stinging rebuke.  Unless, of course, it is that you deign to criticize only those who do not share your views.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm also guessing that you can show that the actions by the Hasidim are contributing to the growth of the outbreak?

Cases in NYC started going down when the people stayed home and practiced social distancing when they went out. 

We know the virus is transmitted from one person to another. You really can't ascertain from these facts that if you put thousands of people crammed together that there will be more viral transmissions?

Most everyone understands that NYC was hit hardest because of its density. That should tell you that increasing density will obviously increase infections. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

I read through that article and it says it has been peer reviewed.  @GG  Is that what it's saying?  This seems more than anecdotal, isn't it?

Depends on your definition of peer reviewed.  The document referenced in the letter is a compilation of all the studies that have been published on the HCQ, azithromycin & zinc usage.   Their peer review was looking at the evidence presented in the studies, not that the results were replicated in a separate review. 

Also notable, they point out that the VA study that was widely reported last week is an outlier to the other reports & studies.  Their theory is that the VA patents were already too far gone for the drugs to be effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Cases in NYC started going down when the people stayed home and practiced social distancing when they went out. 

We know the virus is transmitted from one person to another. You really can't ascertain from these facts that if you put thousands of people crammed together that there will be more viral transmissions?

Most everyone understands that NYC was hit hardest because of its density. That should tell you that increasing density will obviously increase infections. 

Unfortunately for your point, NYC provides statistics by zip code, and your speculation isn't supported by the actual data.

Try harder.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you think death of students is the important factor??

We had a cluster of 5 pre-K teachers who became ill, teaching young children who had just returned from family ski vacation in N  Italy

The classic concern with schools as an "infection amplifyer" is not that so many of the students become seriously ill

It is they carry the infection and infect the staff and teachers who become more seriously ill.  It is that they infect each other, and then the newly infected children take the infection home to their parents, who pass it along.  This is especially a problem with a disease where children appear to become asymptomatically or mildly symptomatically ill - you can't prevent it by asking parents to keep feverish children home, for example, because the children may not be feverish.  They may not have any symptoms at all.

You can't address that effect by counting numbers of covid-19 deaths in young children

I will try to summarize current results on remdesivir and other clinical trials soon.  Will be in covid-19 facts thread OTW

The problem with the Chicago clinical trial is that it was not designed to have a placebo arm.  It was 2 doses of remdesivir.  So it leaves unanswered the question of how many would walk out of hospital in 2 weeks if not treated.

Hey Hapless don't mean to go off topic (maybe on), but have you heard covid19 blood clots and strokes? News station lots others places reporting this.

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Any chance you're going to come down on those people who posted the pics of the bacon masks yesterday?  They still need your stinging rebuke.  Unless, of course, it is that you deign to criticize only those who do not share your views.  

I consider the totality of a poster's contribution in my responses, if you have paid any attention.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

I read through that article and it says it has been peer reviewed.  @GG  Is that what it's saying?  This seems more than anecdotal, isn't it?

It's an aggregation of a limited amount of studies.  Published by a group with, shall we say, some interesting (and, to my understanding, discredited) scientific theories.  

Hopefully the treatments outlined in the paper are proven effective.  But, to use one of its own monikers, the AAPS previously has promoted "junk science," and this paper is far from the final word on the effectiveness of the treatments considered.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I consider the totality of a poster's contribution in my responses, if you have paid any attention.

I don't pay much attention to you.  But it would be appreciated if you were fair and balanced in your scolding.  Be better. 

Edited by SectionC3

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don't pay much attention to you.  But it would be appreciated if you were fair and balanced in your scolding.  

Not my problem that you don't pay attention.  But also a big reason you get scolded.

2 hours ago, GG said:

Good petri dish.  Let's see if Williamsburg cases spike by the end of the week. 

If they don't, then there's even less of a reason to continue the lockdown.

Given that it was a funeral of a Rabbi who died of Covid-19, living in a community largely ignoring the shutdown rules and already suffering disproportionately because of it,  more cases are all but guaranteed. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I pay attention, just not to you.  

Then you probably shouldn't be offering opinions on something you don't pay attention to, right?

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Given that it was a funeral of a Rabbi who died of Covid-19, living in a community largely ignoring the shutdown rules and already suffering disproportionately because of it,  more cases are all but guaranteed. 

That would seem logical, until you look deeper into what the data has shown in the last 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1