The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

I'm skeptical.  I know my state isn't there.  I don't believe any of the neighboring states are there either.  States are moving forward regardless of the guidelines.  If the 1918 Pandemic is a guide, this is a bad choice.

If we cant compare this to the flu, certainly cant compare it to the Spanish Flu either..as @Boatdrinks laid out, not even close in terms of morbidity rates. 

I

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Then you'll have no problem specifying exactly which supply chain that Cuomo had an issue with and when.

Here's one of them.  The feds failed to take control of the testing reagent supply chain in early April.  Cuomo complained about it, through thoughts distilled in, among other places, this quote:

“They bought the machine [and] they have the test, but they need the reagents to do a higher volume of tests. We need two things from the federal government. We need help on that supply chain, especially when it becomes international, and we need coordination and basic partnership.”

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

If we cant compare this to the flu, certainly cant compare it to the Spanish Flu either..as @Boatdrinks laid out, not even close in terms of morbidity rates. 

I

You're probably right about the morbidity rate in terms of raw numbers.  But there are other factors.  How do the hospitalization rates compare?  And what about the effect on the morbidity rate of COVID-19 if the "curve" spiked and overwhelmed the health care system?  It's not a simple analysis any way you cut it. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Here's one of them.  The feds failed to take control of the testing reagent supply chain in early April.  Cuomo complained about it, through thoughts distilled in, among other places, this quote:

“They bought the machine [and] they have the test, but they need the reagents to do a higher volume of tests. We need two things from the federal government. We need help on that supply chain, especially when it becomes international, and we need coordination and basic partnership.”

Scraps appreciates you doing his homework.

Which gets back to my response - was NYS at all shortchanged on the needed equipment?  Or was this Cuomo negotiating through the media?

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Thank you for catching that typographical error.   I will correct it immediately.  The iPhone is a tricky beast for someone with larger fingers like me. 

That wasn't a typo unless you are so obese that one of you fingers nearly covers your keyboard. As of now, you are on my Horseshitters List. 

3 minutes ago, GG said:

Scraps appreciates you doing his homework.

Which gets back to my response - was NYS at all shortchanged on the needed equipment?  Or was this Cuomo negotiating through the media?

Wasn't NYS shorted 40,000 ventilators? -)

14 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

That wasn't a typo unless you are so obese that one of you fingers nearly covers your keyboard. As of now, you are on my Horseshitters List. 

Wasn't NYS shorted 40,000 ventilators? -)

Fake news.  Only I get to make the lists.  Since you can't come up with an idea of your own, I've now been forced to place you on the sheep list.  

Also, I will take your prior point as an admission that you have small fingers. If you had large fingers, you would understand the difficulty in effectively and accurately typing on an iPhone. 

Carry on. 

EDIT:  Now that I've had some cofeve, maybe I will be able to control my large fingers and spell a little better. 

Edited by SectionC3

12 hours ago, Scraps said:

His point was that this travel ban that Trump repeatedly boasts about wasn't a total travel ban.  Trump has repeatedly said people went to Italy because Italy did not have a travel ban and people couldn't come to the US, so they went to Italy.  In fact, Italy did institute a travel ban, it was effective days before ours and it supposedly didn't have the loopholes Trump's did.  

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/trumps-confusing-claim-on-italy-and-travel-restrictions/

Trump allowed U.S. citizens to return along with people that had a legal right to be here. What you fail to note is that they were all put under quarantine when they got here. The average amount of Chinese visitors to the U.S. is 20,000 per day. The amount of U.S. citizens allowed to return was legal but handled in a safe manner. How would you have handled the situation? 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Trump allowed U.S. citizens to return along with people that had a legal right to be here. What you fail to note is that they were all put under quarantine when they got here. The average amount of Chinese visitors to the U.S. is 20,000 per day. The amount of U.S. citizens allowed to return was legal but handled in a safe manner. How would you have handled the situation? 

you mean self quarantine?

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Fake news.  Only I get to make the lists.  Since you can't come up with an idea of your own, I've now been forced to place you on the sheep list.  

Carry on. 

Well Mr. List Maker, your list of lists is lacking. You failed to create a list for liars and for some reason I doubt that was an oversight. Typos are for mistakes made by hitting a nearby key rather than the correct one. How close are the "c" and "p" on your keyboard? Quit the horseshit. 

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you mean self quarantine?

For the most part but others who tested positive were sent to places like military bases. What is your point?

Edited by 3rdnlng

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

For the most part but others who tested positive were sent to places like military bases. What is your point?

Your point was that everyone who arrived from China was put in quarantine, and that is not even remotely close to true. Folks flying directly from Wuhan, yes, they were. Any other people coming in from China, ( and yes US citizens were coming in much after the ban) were asked a few questions and sent on their merry way. Same as it was for people coming from Europe when  that ban was put in place. ask @Buffalo_Gal her expeience about coming back in the country that weekend.

I dont believe anyone was tested before or after travel except thos folks from Wuhan who did get quarantined..

I

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Your point was that everyone who arrived from China was put in quarantine, and that is not even remotely close to true. Folks flying directly from Wuhan, yes, they were. Any other people coming in from China, ( and yes US citizens were coming in much after the ban) were asked a few questions and sent on their merry way. Same as it was for people coming from Europe when  that ban was put in place. ask @Buffalo_Gal her expeience about coming back in the country that weekend.

I dont believe anyone was tested before or after travel except thos folks from Wuhan who did get quarantined..

I

Given the circumstances at the time, how would you have handled things? 

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Has no bearing on our conversation or the issue that was your statement was misleading . Prolly less than .005 of travelers were placed in a quarantine when they came back from either China or Europe. Same amount tested. They were not even given temperature checks before boarding the plane, and certainly not when they arrived on US soil.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well Mr. List Maker, your list of lists is lacking. You failed to create a list for liars and for some reason I doubt that was an oversight. Typos are for mistakes made by hitting a nearby key rather than the correct one. How close are the "c" and "p" on your keyboard? Quit the horseshit. 

There is no better way to own the libs than by copying them.  And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Thank you for your adulation.  

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Has no bearing on our conversation or the issue that was statement was misleading. Prolly less than .005 of travelers were placed in a quarantine when they came back from either China or Europe. They were not even given temperature checks before boarding the plane, and certainly not when they arrived on US soil.

Now you know what "Third n'" is on the fake news list. 

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Also, FYI.  I have a phone conference this morning.  It may affect you.  I'll fight hard for you in there.  Stay tuned. 

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Fact: The United States has tested almost twice as many tests per capita as South Korea. 

Not true. 17,000/1M vs 12,000/1M. More but not double, and they don't need to do as many tests now because they got on top of it early, so it's not really a meaningful data point. 

They had 10 positive cases yesterday in SK. 

I'd take their cases and deaths per population if we can trade our test totals. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

Not true. 17,000/1M vs 12,000/1M. More but not double, and they don't need to do as many tests now because they got on top of it early, so it's not really a meaningful data point. 

I'd take their cases and deaths per population if we can trade our test totals. 

Thanks...I was rounding.
Testing does not do what you, and many others, think it does. There’s no cure for this particular virus. If anything, our ever increasing testing count is PROVING that this virus is far LESS deadly than everyone proclaimed it was. In fact, what we’re learning is that if you are under 60 years old you have almost ZERO chance of dying from Covid 19. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

There is no better way to own the libs than by copying them.  And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Thank you for your adulation.  

Now you know what "Third n'" is on the fake news list. 

Also, FYI.  I have a phone conference this morning.  It may affect you.  I'll fight hard for you in there.  Stay tuned. 

Do all you lawyers take a class on how to deflect? I certainly wasn't copying you, I was correcting you. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks...I was rounding.
Testing does not do what you, and many others, think it does. There’s no cure for this particular virus. If anything, our ever increasing testing count is PROVING that this virus is far LESS deadly than everyone proclaimed it was. In fact, what we’re learning is that if you are under 60 years old you have almost ZERO chance of dying from Covid 19. 

Testing alone would not have slowed the spread.  Contrary to the taglines, SK didn't halt the spread through testing.  They did it by practicing their usual customs during viral outbreaks. 

Testing is a lagging indicator.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I

The last time we came into the country since there was word of a virus in Wuhan China (March 14th) we flew into Newark from Spain. We filled out CDC forms with our contact info and what countries we had been in, etc (I am assuming so that would could be notified if someone on our flight came up positive), as well as some random health and COVID-19 contact information (had we been in contact with anyone who had COVID-19, were we health professionals working with COVID-19 patients, etc).  We had our temperature taken with a temperature gun upon arrival.

Customs included no social distancing (since global entry was down it was a lot of people packed like sardines). We had our passports taken after clearing, and the custom agent disappeared with them (we assume to check our names against our temperatures, and if your had a high temp or were hacking (I never heard a cough while waiting), you'd have been whisked away).  We were never offered a mask, gloves, or hand santizer at customs, although we had some with us.

We were told to self-quarantine for two weeks (which we did... instacart was our friend).

If someone wants to know more into about exactly what happened that Saturday we arrived home, read here. It also mentioned what my son and his fiancée had to do in Toronto when they flew in the day before (hint: not much).

Here is what the CDC can do to quarantine people.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks...I was rounding.

Rounding up by 60% is an interesting way to round. 

Testing does not do what you, and many others, think it does.

I'm not sure what you think I think, but testing identifies areas of outbreak and particularly severity BEFORE the outbreak gets out of control. Testing and contract tracing lets us stay ahead of this once we get it to some semblance of control for health care workers. So testing is pretty damn important. 

Edited by shoshin