The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s happening in these southern states is EXACTLY what anyone could’ve predicted. 

You told us the Covid story was over, though, on June 10th. Anyone could've predicted it, but few people in this forum did. Look at the posts from late May to mid-June. Pages 850-900 if you care

On 6/10/2020 at 8:30 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Another day without a single state in triple digit deaths. Those that said the low numbers were due to the typical weekend hangover in reporting (including me) were clearly wrong. The virus is chugging along at a steady but very low pace. It appears to have sought its own level, like water, and is now just one of a number of things that our elderly population is at risk of dying from. We can continue to count the results, and I will for the foreseeable future, but.....This story is over! 

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

10 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

You told us the Covid story was over, though, on June 10th. Anyone could've predicted it, but few people in this forum did. Look at the posts from late May to mid-June. Pages 850-900 if you care

The story isn’t over because the media refuses to look at what anyone could’ve predicted. Does the weather seem shocked every day that the sun came up? 

14 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Why aren't you also highlighting the predictions of 3K daily deaths in June?

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I didn't see those predictions in the 50 pages of this thread I read earlier today. Feel free to quote them and I'll comment.  

Those were the projections by the doomsday commentators, cheerleaded by NYT who ran with the incorrect story and quoted by a segment here.

Do you wonder why this fact check wasn't widely reported?

On Monday the New York Times published what appeared to be an explosive finding: an internal document from the Trump Administration that forecast many more coming deaths from the coronavirus than the president has predicted publicly.

Specifically, the document included projections that in the coming weeks the rate of daily new infections in the United States will rise so precipitously that by June 1 more than 200,000 people per day will be contracting the virus — and more than 3,000 people per day will be dying. (For comparison, currently the U.S. is confirming about 27,000 new cases and 1,800 deaths each day — for a cumulative death toll of about 69,000. And on Sunday, President Trump said he expected total deaths to top out at about 100,000.)

But there's an important caveat to this story. NPR contacted the epidemiologist who came up with the projections in the internal document, Justin Lessler of Johns Hopkins University's Bloomberg School of Public Health. Lessler says the projections cited in the document do not represent his final forecast. Rather they were part of work that's still very much in progress — in other words, incomplete.

CORONAVIRUS DATA IN TEXAS & FLORIDA PROVE HOW DISASTROUSLY NEW YORK HANDLED PANDEMIC.

This bit is worth breaking out:

“Florida and Texas are on track to have the same number of confirmed cases as the state of New York — which has more cases than anywhere in the country.

Yet, Texas and Florida will have 1/10th of the death rate of New York.”

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

It was an incorrect prediction. Great fact check by NPR - they nailed it as usual. 

That's the point though.  NYT raced to print a false narrative that continued to stoke the fear.  How many people saw NP's fact check vs NYT's factually incorrect scare story?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

That's the point though.  NYT raced to print a false narrative that continued to stoke the fear.  How many people saw NP's fact check vs NYT's factually incorrect scare story?

I remember hearing about that NYT piece on the news and that's about it. I can't speak to everyone's experience, but that article did not stoke fear in me. I also recall hearing stories about the data being incomplete - though, I did not hear them directly from NPR. Typically I'll watch CBS news at 6:30 - odds are that's where I heard the data was misrepresented.

Anyway, my point was, in late May and early June, many people claimed the virus was winding down and was over. It was not and is not. 

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

CORONAVIRUS DATA IN TEXAS & FLORIDA PROVE HOW DISASTROUSLY NEW YORK HANDLED PANDEMIC.

“Florida and Texas are on track to have the same number of confirmed cases as the state of New York — which has more cases than anywhere in the country.

Great news on the death rate

14 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I remember hearing about that NYT piece on the news and that's about it. I can't speak to everyone's experience, but that article did not stoke fear in me. I also recall hearing stories about the data being incomplete - though, I did not hear them directly from NPR. Typically I'll watch CBS news at 6:30 - odds are that's where I heard the data was misrepresented.

Anyway, my point was, in late May and early June, many people claimed the virus was winding down and was over. It was not and is not. 

Great news on the death rate

The May/early June data was hinting that the worst was behind us, and that turned out to be wrong because there was not enough viral contact in the Southern states. 

But, the lessons learned from the carnage in the Northeast meant that the severity of the spread was nowhere near as bad as it was in April, and the southern states can get to herd immunity without sacrificing a large portion of the population.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'm very certain that all states will have roughly the same percentage of cases/population by the time this is over.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tibs and others:

Florida is fascinating. They are quickly approaching the total number of cases reported in NY state, with almost 400,000 total cases.....BUT....the number of deaths in Florida is still only about 15% of the number they experienced in NY. Something has changed, with the virus itself or our response to it. I recall when all the pandemic alarmists on here kept screaming that NY didn’t have an especially elderly population. Are they going to same the same about Florida now?

What about the effect of the virus?  What if it doesn’t kill, but simply maims?  What if the maiming includes long-term cognitive difficulty, or reduced lung function?  Is that acceptable?

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What about the effect of the virus?  What if it doesn’t kill, but simply maims?  What if the maiming includes long-term cognitive difficulty, or reduced lung function?  Is that acceptable?

Of course that's not acceptable, and why you should be directing your ire at the regime that unleashed this damned thing.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GG said:

Of course that's not acceptable, and why you should be directing your ire at the regime that unleashed this damned thing.

What about directing ire at the regime that tried to wish this “hoax” away instead of doing something about it?  By your logic, the fact that the administration didn’t start the problem absolves it from responsibility for doing anything about it.  I realize that you’re an alt-wronger, but that logic is absurd even for you.  

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What about directing ire at the regime that tried to wish this “hoax” away instead of doing something about it?  By your logic, the fact that the administration didn’t start the problem absolves it from responsibility for doing anything about it.  I realize that you’re an alt-wronger, but that logic is absurd even for you.  

If you weren't such a disingenuous partisan hack, you'd notice that most of Western world got hit as hard as the US, and only the ignorant can pretend that this could have been prevented.  Trump's January bloviations were fed by his healthcare advisors who thought that this thing was a repeat of SARS-1 and would fizzle out before it hit the US shores. 

Remind me again what the sainted infectious disease experts were saying in January & February? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GG said:

If you weren't such a disingenuous partisan hack, you'd notice that most of Western world got hit as hard as the US, and only the ignorant can pretend that this could have been prevented.  Trump's January bloviations were fed by his healthcare advisors who thought that this thing was a repeat of SARS-1 and would fizzle out before it hit the US shores. 

Remind me again what the sainted infectious disease experts were saying in January & February? 

Hoax.  I’m not disingenuous, or partisan, or a hack.  It’s also a hoax that I used the word “prevented.”  

In point of fact, doing “something” or “anything” about the pandemic is vastly different from preventing the pandemic.  For example, perhaps the President could have advocated a simple, cheap safety precaution like wearing a mask at the outset of the pandemic.  Instead, he and his alt-wrong followers, including you in your capacity as the intellectual standard bearer of the local chapter of that crowd, focused on silver bullet nonsense, such as buying millions of doses of an unproven drug (hydroxychloroquine) and speculating that the injection of a household cleaner (Lysol, if I recall correctly) would stymie the virus to the extent it was not actually a “hoax” and did not “magically disappear” by Easter, as was predicted.  

Now, in view of those failings, your approach apparently is to resort to misguided hyperbole (“you’re wrong because you said that Trump should have prevented the virus, even though you never actually said anything of the sort!”), blame the source of the virus (calling it the “Wuhan virus” or the “Chinese virus” means that it’s not Trump’s fault that it spread unabated for months while he munched on hydroxychloroquine and obsessed about the television ratings for his press conferences!), which apparently now is confirmed as a “non-hoax,” or perhaps an “alt-hoax,” instead of suggesting that perhaps our federal government should have done such things as simple as having supported the wearing of masks as a prophylactic device.  

I’m beginning to think that your self-styled status as the intellectual standard bearer of the alt-wrong community is just another, shall we say, hoax. Sad!

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Hoax.  I’m not disingenuous, or partisan, or a hack.  It’s also a hoax that I used the word “prevented.”  

In point of fact, doing “something” or “anything” about the pandemic is vastly different from preventing the pandemic.  For example, perhaps the President could have advocated a simple, cheap safety precaution like wearing a mask at the outset of the pandemic. 

State's rights.  CDC which is a federal agency recommended wearing masks back in April.  Very early April.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85800

Edited by keepthefaith

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

State's rights.  CDC which is a federal agency recommended wearing masks back in April.  Very early April.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85800

States’ rights have nothing to do with federal “support[]” (my word) for mask use.  Trump undermined the CDC until recently and refused to wear a mask.  So it was good that the CDC had its act together.  It’s bad that Trump didn’t and doesn’t.  Our economy, our health, and our sense of American superiority have suffered because of it.