If we add Yannick here is what our cap space my look like

Reed83HOF

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

People have to keep in mind there is Coach/GM speak and while they are technically correct about how they want to build, they also must feel the urgency of the expiring rookie contracts in 2021 & onwards & shore up those positions while they can - they don't have the luxury of a 5-7 year rebuild to find every core premier player in the draft. They need to push the chips to the middle of the table on the premier FAs they can't get through this draft (obviously not crazy overspending). 

They are $1.5M over the cap, need about $10M for their rookie class - it all comes down to how far they want to cut. They can restructure Campbell, but that will only do so much  they are in a fairly tight situation and face a very tough decision. At the end of the day, that franchise is screwed for the next couple years with the cap.

Austin Hooper and the Falcons are in the same boat, cutting can be done to re-sign him - how deep do you go if you do and is it worth it in the end?

More likely they release Campbell and he'd be a phenomenal add for us - honestly prefer him (as a player and for the price) than Yannick.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2020 at 6:44 PM, Floydboy12 said:

I'd like to keep Lawson and Phillips. Don't know contract details but let Murphy walk. Draft an edge guy in first 3 rounds. Keep this team largely intact and add pieces. 

If they can’t get a difference maker at DE in FA I like this as Plan B.  But, the DE in the 1st or 2nd round in the draft.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, dave mcbride said:

Trent Murphy was a good (not great, but certainly disruptive, dependable, and good) player this past season and was one of the best players on the field vs. Houston. Why do Bills fans want to cut good players when they have $98 million in cap space???

Pretty much agree, Dave.  You only cut him if you're able to go elite.  You may not even be able to get a low round pick for him given his salary.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:47 AM, billsfan1959 said:

No. However, they were trying to get to a competitive status while starting to build through the draft. At this point, and Beane as much as said so in his presser, they don't need to add as much through free agency - certainly not in the high dollar range. Their focus will always primarily be drafting and signing their own.

With that said, I absolutley see them targeting certain positions in free agency. I just don't see them targeting top dollar free agents.

The Window to win in the NFL is small. This team has enough cap space and not many long term commitments to both retain their own free agents and add a couple of significant contracts. This team can add a big contract like Yannick, resign Spain, Lawson and Phillips and the other lesser free agents, and still have plenty of roller over to help take care of future extensions. Don't take your chance to win for granted. The NFL is a year to year league. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Window to win in the NFL is small. This team has enough cap space and not many long term commitments to both retain their own free agents and add a couple of significant contracts. This team can add a big contract like Yannick, resign Spain, Lawson and Phillips and the other lesser free agents, and still have plenty of roller over to help take care of future extensions. Don't take your chance to win for granted. The NFL is a year to year league. 

They absolutely have the cap space. I just don't see Beane paying what Yannick is going to command. I would love to have him; however, I don't see it happening,.

Let's get real. Both Shaq and Trent are the very definition of average. We could easily let them go and upgrade the position, but we have so many other needs like OL and WR. Also, the CB spot opposite White isn't particularly strong and Lo has retired. I suspect Gore may retire too.