2019 Buffalo Bills: Were they Paper Tigers?

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

AFC East played the NFC East this year.  Neither conference has a team in the final eight teams.  The results for all the teams in those two conferences are skewed by having so many games against bad teams.  Bills and Pats were the best of these teams. Which is something.  Kind of like winning the cotton bowl, while the top teams are playing the FBS playoff games.  Its better than nothing, but still on the outside looking in.

Better:

Chiefs

Ravens

Pats (Id like to put them equal, but couldnt get it done)

Saints

Seahawks

49ers

full-strength Eagles

I think it is far-fetched to think the Bills take 2 games on the road versus 2 of these teams, then beat the other one on a neutral field (I know the Saints lost).  Even at home, they dont seem like they have enough juice to beat the Ravens and the Chiefs (now that they are playing good).  

Same as Bills:

Texans

Packers (I just cant come to terms with them being as good as their record)

Vikings

Titans

Rams?

Worse:

Everyone else

I think the Bills could join that top class starting next season.  They need to improve their offensive efficiency in opposing territory.  Get another athletic RB, get a decent WR target, Dawson Knox progresses.  Keep the O-Line intact.  

I think being in the category they are in is great progress and right on target

Edited by May Day 10

You're as good as your record. Every team has to play the record they are given. They do remind me a lot of the 2018 Bears, the difference is our defense was consistently good. Defense is more reliable to fall back on.

I still think we could be 10-6 if we had a stable running game earlier.

My crisis of belief is the staff's lack of planning. In 2018 they didn't know who was the QB and no back-up vet, this year they ran only tiny WRs and the 2nd RB was an old RB with no burst. I don't know how they thought it would be a good idea.

Paper Tigers? They went to OT in a playoff game. Won 10 out of 15 meaningful games. Had a stout Top 5 defense. Below average ST, which probably hinders the offense stats. 

I just hope the D can remain as strong. Age, free agency, etc. can lower its power. But we all expect the offense to be much greater.

Tough schedule next year for sure, but paper tigers? Hell no

26 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think the Bills could join that top class starting next season.  They need to improve their offensive efficiency in opposing territory.  Get another athletic RB, get a decent WR target, Dawson Knox progresses.  Keep the O-Line intact.  

I think being in the category they are in is great progress and right on target

All of this depends on the HC changing his stripes and embracing the offensive game.  I don't expect Air Coryell or anything like that, but there is an old-world thinking that needs to change.  It starts with establishing a new offensive identity, finding better talent to fit, game-planning, and then in-game changes.  They're a long ways off on all counts.   

Sean McDermott is the key to whether this team languishes as a defensive team that tries to play offense, or makes the leap toward being a contender.  It's the difference between being .500 or slightly better versus a first round bye team. 

Right now, the HC is the main problem.  Everything at OBD flows from him.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:12 AM, eanyills said:

It would be a pretty standard definition of the term “paper tiger” to say a 10-6 team, who fans and local media began to believe was more of an elite 14-2 caliber team save a few bad breaks, was actually more like an 8-8 slightly above average caliber team, which is exactly what the OP is saying. So yes, I believe they do know what a “paper tiger” is.

From Mirriam-Webtser.com  one that is outwardly powerful or dangerous but inwardly weak or ineffectual.

I didn't see the Bills acting anything like this. They were humble and hardworking all season. Never acted like they were anything other than a hard working team trying to get better. If you were a Browns fan and felt this way, the definition would apply better. Doesn't matter what the fans or media says. The OP was applying the term to the Bills, not the fans or media. So he might know what it means, but he used it incorrectly. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:04 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Wins
S. Darnold (Established/Entrenched Starter)
E. Manning (Benched/Back-Up)
Andy Dalton (Benched/Back-Up)
M.Mariota (Benched/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back Up)
D. Haskins (Rookie/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back-Up)
B. Allen (Back-Up)
D. Prescott (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Hodges (Back-Up)

Loses
T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
C. Wentz (Established/Entrenched Starter)
B. Mayfield (Established/Entrenched Starter)
L. Jackson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Watson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

8-0 against the backups or benched

2-6 against the established starters

1 single victory against a team with a winning record.  And that was with their now benched and soon to be released QB.

Is it possible buffalos meagerness and our football teams ineptness for 20 plus years have made us such love able losers that folks just pull the blinds over their eyes to avoid that this team are 

Frankly, I could never really understand the hoopla over beating Dallas or Pittsburgh.

I just see a team that really has a long way to go when it comes to WINNING (not losing in the final minutes, let’s be clear what really matters) but WINNING against the Real QBs in this league.

And Coach McDermotts Offense averaging 19.87 for the season (won’t count JETS Finale) just isn’t my cup of tea.  Nor is his Career Offense Average points per game at roughly 18.5 anything to sing songs about.

We can beat the dregs of the league...now take the next step PLEASE!

?

From Mirriam-Webtser.com  one that is outwardly powerful or dangerous but inwardly weak or ineffectual. I didn't see the Bills acting anything like this. They were humble and hardworking all season. Never acted like they were anything other than a hard working team trying to get better. If you were a Browns fan and felt this way, the definition would apply better. So, no, they are not paper tigers due to certain fans and media thinking certain things.

I say no, because they came within a play or 2 of winning a play-off game against a pretty good team on the road. What I DO believe is that they are probably a year or so ahead of schedule and played better than they were expected to in enough games to make it back to the play-offs.  They will be very real competitors in the AFC for the next few seasons, as Beane gets the roster where he wants it.  So not "paper tigers" they just exceeded expectations.   

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Viewing the results against coaches shows that the Bills played 9 Games against teams with either first year HC's or coaches bad enough to be fired.  The Bills went 8-1 against these coaches.  In the seven games against good coaches, the Bills went 2-5.  One of those wins was the Steelers, who started their third string QB.  

Next Season, the Bills face this coaching lineup. 

Chiefs - Reid - Good Coach

Chargers - Lynn - meh coach

Rams - McVay - Good coach

Seahawks - Carroll 0 Good coach

Steelers - Tomlin - Good Coach

Dolphins - Flores - second year coach, appears to be a good coach

Patriots - Good coach

Jets - bad coach

Cardinals - meh coach

Broncos - meh coach

Raiders - Good coach ( i know many disagree on this)

Niners - Good coach

Titans - Good coach

Dolphins - second year coach, appears to be a Good coach

Patriots Good coach

Jets - Bad coach

It does not seem likely the Bills will face any coaches who are first year coaches next year. Nor is it likely they will be facing any coaches who will be fired at the end of the year (possible Gase or Lynn)

To go 11-5 next year (likely needed to win the division).  They will have to win their games against all the less than good coaches, which is only 5 wins, and win 6 games against the other teams. That is a big step up from the 1 quality win against a good coach with a real starting QB this year. 

If the Bills do this I offer McDermott a five year extension.  If they perform against good coaches next year as they did this year, the team is looking at something like a 6-10 or 7-9 record. If that happens, not sure where I would stand with this coaching staff. 

Nice post! As Sean Connery said in The Rock, "Hmm and educated man!"

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Sadly, the bold part was not true yesterday when it mattered. 19 points given up in 20 minutes (including drives of 75 and 69 yards) is the definition of "not a shut down D"

I agree that we do somewhat over state the impact of our Defense. I mean they are not the '85 Bears in any way shape or form. They couldn't get stops at key moments all year, they aren't a pressure  defense and force a lot turnovers, and don't put the hammer down with the lead, they sit back and give a big cushion very early on halves. I believe we were good enough defensively to be in games. But let's be honest, we're not a shutdown, championship caliber defense. the pace of play of the team also helped keep points allowed down.

It will be really interesting to see how next year unfolds.  The Bills had the 24th hardest schedule this year based on win percentage (according to TSN).  I completely get that you cannot compare the coming schedule to the current teams as much can change.  Having said that, on paper, and based on this years records, next years schedule could really tell us what kind of team the Bills  have.  I'm usually pretty doom and gloom having rooted for them since I was 6 years old in 1966 (my earliest Bills memory and the year my dad took me to my first game).  Generally not much to cheer about except for the late 80's, early 90's.  

This has a real feel to me of how things felt in '88 and to an extent '89 minus the bickering Bills crap.  I'm excited.  When's camp open?  

Edited by chaccof