CFP Semifinal- Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State vs Clemson 8:15pm

YoloinOhio

Man what a game. Will go down as an all-time classic. I went to bed after Ohio State scored their last TD to go up 23-21. Woke up and the game was on ESPN again, right after that play ?.

Not a Buckeye fan AT ALL, but I as a football fan, that was fun to watch.

Re: the controversial calls:

targeting: its fine if you want to argue the rule should be changed. But under the current rule, this isn’t remotely questionable. That hit was the very definition of targeting and there’s no argument against it. 

the fumble and TD: I don’t really understand how that wasn’t a catch and fumble. Caught the ball, never bobbled it, took 4 or 5 steps, and tucked it away. 

roughing the kicker: the rule is so open-ended you can pretty easily argue both running into and roughing. I never knew how unclear the rule is until last night. 

The guy lowered his head and connected with Lawrence’s head with the crown of his helmet.  Thats targeting regardless of what Lawrence did.    That’s not targeting if his face mask hit Lawrence’s helmet.  

The catch and fumble seemed like a bad call.  I guess the steps Clemson WR took when he was wrestling with Okudah for the ball didn’t count.  He was also going backwards at that point.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The guy lowered his head and connected with Lawrence’s head with the crown of his helmet.  Thats targeting regardless of what Lawrence did.    That’s not targeting if his face mask hit Lawrence’s helmet.  

The catch and fumble seemed like a bad call.  I guess the steps Clemson WR took when he was wrestling with Okudah for the ball didn’t count.  He was also going backwards at that point.  

If it was a catch, how is his forward progress not stopped? Okudah can just run him backwards and strip the ball? That's why the forward progress rule was out in place to begin with. 

Also on the targeting play, I thought the Chase Young punch to the throat was far more vicious and the thing that injured Lawrence. Should have been two flags on the play.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

It was such a terrible call. But, at the end of it all, Ohio state scored a TD on offense after that anyway. And, they had two chances to win the game, one on defense and one on offense, and they didn’t do it. Credit to Clemson, who I don’t think is the better team but did what they had to do to win that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.