Sullivan at it again...

webtoe

Sullivan is the biggest monday morning QB there is, and once again he proves it by suggesting that TD should have traded Henry last summer.

Can you imagine his column on the day that happened... :doh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sullivan is the biggest monday morning QB there is, and once again he proves it by suggesting that TD should have traded Henry last summer. 

303423[/snapback]

Just when I thought the man was getting rational. Traded henry last season? Ummm, right. McGahee hasn't played a game. That would have been friggin stupid.

Sullivan is a moron.

303423[/snapback]

that does sound a little hypocritical of old sully, seeing he was still calling willis an "ill-conceived draft pick" last summer.......

Though he is being consistent. He was very critical last off season for not trading Henry because he thought his value had peaked after coming off a decent season. Now, after a season sitting on the bench, Henry being one year older (every year is Huge for RBs) his value has decreased. In this way Sullivan is correct.

Though he is being consistent. He was very critical last off season for not trading Henry because he thought his value had peaked after coming off a decent season. Now, after a season sitting on the bench, Henry being one year older (every year is Huge for RBs) his value has decreased. In this way Sullivan is correct.

303508[/snapback]

Agreed.

I too was hoping for a trade at that time. Miami had a really big need, and we probably would have got far more than Henry was worth from them.

This has got to be one of the dumbest comments from someone who allegedly knows the game.

Sully says:

Donahoe created this problem for himself. He knew from the moment he drafted McGahee that he'd eventually have to deal Henry. Last summer, he could have traded Henry from a position of strength. He waited, and now he has to deal Henry from a weakened position.

1. Look, rather than this being a problem, the Bills (as the next article in TBD says) are in a position of strength heading into this year's draft having WM starting and a former Pro Bowler as a back-up who is under contract at a $1.25 million cap hit.

Teams wish they had problems like this. AZ has an RB PROBLEM caused by the retirement of Smith with no credible replacement on the roster. TB has an RB PROBLEM with Pittman as the lead candidate on their roster to start. Miaimi has an RB PROBLEM with Wickey having flown the coop and Lamar Jordan as their starter on their roster.

The Bills certainly have an RB issue to be dealt with but describing a situation where a team has a top 5 draftee talented who thanks to a good read by the Bills docs and cojones by TD they got with a pick in the 20s and he is backed up by a former Pro Bowler with zero leverage to never suit up as a Bill again if they want him to is only insanely referred to as a problem compared to other situtations.

2. TD fooled people in 2003 because they made the false assumption that we would not go for an RB because we had Henry. Intelligent people have now realized that it was the prescence and play of Henry which only made the idea of drafting WM a rational thing to do because his rehab from a devastating knee injury (more tears than Edggerin James who needed a year and a half of reha before he became a semblance of his former self) made having him sit the entire 2004 season a necessary thing to do.

Sullivan gets paid to watch the game but proved himself a Klondike once again by offering up the concept that the Bills created a problem by adding the WM resource once TH gave the Bills the giftof an extra year if owning him for NFL chump change.

3. Finally he claims that by not trading Henry before WM had shown he could withstand a hit and resume his former level (it was after 3 o4 4 games of the season that word began to come out of practice that WM had found a new gear in his rehab and game) that the Bills put themselves in a weakened position. Beyond the insane risk that the Bills were supposed to somehow go into last season with Joe Burns and Shaud Williams as their RBs if WM developed slowly, not at all or got hurt again, Sully ignores the real potential that we are going to leverage AZ (they certainly are moving in our direction having given up on their initial demand for Henry and a draft choice and Green is on record saying we are close when the discussion of us flipping picks is what folks are talking about) or that there are a couple of possibilities for trade partners in TB and Miami that cannot be ignored.

He needs column inches and it is the deadtime for real news just before the draft. but this column is wrong-headed and silly.

This is beyond the vendetta stage...there has got to be some history here. Maybe when TD's grandfather was Governor of PA, he incarcerated Sully's grandfather for stupidity or something.

Blaming TD for drafting McGahee---good God--this man is an idiot...

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1072365.asp

I said it once...I'll say it 1,000 times...being a sports columnist is the GREATEST job in the world. Is there another line of work where you can make up and say any crap you want, be wrong more othen than right, and get paid for it?

Here is Jerry Sullivan playing the role of "Chicken Little" for Bills fans. Can you imagine this guy in a poker game? What exactly is he saying in this article? That TD should cave and take a bag of jock straps for TH? TD is doing what he should be doing. And if it means winding up with TH for 2005, so be it.

Trust me...TH WILL NOT SIT OUT 2005!!! It's the last year of his contract. He'll be a free agent in 2006. He is going to play his ASS OFF!!! And TD knows that!! That's why he is playing hardball. TH can vent all he wants, but he has few options.

But that won't stop Jerry f***in' Sullivan playing backseat GM, always looking for the cloud in the silver lining.

PTR

you have forgotten about the old weatherman, sports reporters have to at least be accurate some of the time, weathermen don't

I said it once...I'll say it 1,000 times...being a sports columnist is the GREATEST job in the world.  Is there another line of work where you can make up and say any crap you want, be wrong more othen than right, and get paid for it?

Here is Jerry Sullivan playing the role of "Chicken Little" for Bills fans.  Can you imagine this guy in a poker game?  What exactly is he saying in this article?  That TD should cave and take a bag of jock straps for TH?  TD is doing what he should be doing.  And if it means winding up with TH for 2005, so be it.

Trust me...TH WILL NOT SIT OUT 2005!!!  It's the last year of his contract.  He'll be a free agent in 2006. He is going to play his ASS OFF!!!  And TD knows that!!  That's why he is playing hardball.  TH can vent all he wants, but he has few options.

But that won't stop Jerry f***in' Sullivan playing backseat GM, always looking for the cloud in the silver lining.

PTR

303701[/snapback]

I said it once...I'll say it 1,000 times...being a sports columnist is the GREATEST job in the world.  Is there another line of work where you can make up and say any crap you want, be wrong more othen than right, and get paid for it?

Here is Jerry Sullivan playing the role of "Chicken Little" for Bills fans.  Can you imagine this guy in a poker game?  What exactly is he saying in this article?  That TD should cave and take a bag of jock straps for TH?  TD is doing what he should be doing.  And if it means winding up with TH for 2005, so be it.

Trust me...TH WILL NOT SIT OUT 2005!!!  It's the last year of his contract.  He'll be a free agent in 2006. He is going to play his ASS OFF!!!  And TD knows that!!  That's why he is playing hardball.  TH can vent all he wants, but he has few options.

PTR

303701[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. I just finished reading that POS and thought, where the heck did this come from? "TD created this problem himself" What problem????

You are 100% correct: TH plays his butt off if he's still a Bill next season 'cause that's the only way he'll get a big FA deal.

This column really has my blood boiling and is typical of the tripe that this guy has been putting out for years. Someone on the Wall said last year that Sullivan always has an agenda when it comes to TD. He obviously doesn't realize that when he writes such blatant crap, it makes him look extremely petty.

Everyone keeps saying "Sullivan is an armchair pundit." Blah, blah, blah.

However, last offseason he kept saying that Henry should be traded. His point was that Henry's value would plumit if we kept him as a second string back. Sullivan is not now coming up with this opinion in hindsight. This was his opinion from the get-go.

Now, you can criticize his original point - but you have to admit that he was right.

Everyone keeps saying "Sullivan is an armchair pundit." Blah, blah, blah.

However, last offseason he kept saying that Henry should be traded. His point was that Henry's value would plumit if we kept him as a second string back. Sullivan is not now coming up with this opinion in hindsight. This was his opinion from the get-go.

Now, you can criticize his original point - but you have to admit that he was right.

303742[/snapback]

Jerry Sullivan can say whatever he wants because in the end it don't mean d**k. He's not the one who lives with the consequences of a rash move like trading TH right away. I think TD has earned the right to be trusted here. Let the man do his job.

PTR

Running backs short career spans are not because of chronological age, or they lose talent or speed quicker than other positions, it is because of the beatings they take (mostly on their knees and ankles and legs) while carrying the ball. Travis played less than half the year. His age is pretty much a non-factor. He has played three total seasons (out of his four in the league). He has likely three full good seasons left in him. No team in today's NFL thinks more than two years in advance for any position because it does you no good. While his injury history is a factor, and certainly downgrades his trade value, his age means nothing. In fact, it helps him because he is experienced but not old.

Since we're using our hindsight goggles, I wonder who Sullivan envisions as our starting RB for the first part of last season since Willis wasn't ready to carry the load?

303510[/snapback]

Why limit our hindsight goggles to just that? Since they cut Bledsoe anyway, they should have started Losman last season. Oh yeah...he had a broken leg...well, they shouldn't have picked up Troy Vincent then, either...

303508[/snapback]

Travis Henry was given every chance to keep his starting job. He started

the 1st 5 games and how many yards/game did he have...