Steelers QB Mason Rudolph fined $50K by NFL

stosh64

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I've also never seen a QB try to rip a defender's helmet off, kick him in the balls and then go after him while his teammates are restraining him.  Which is why a QB has never been suspended before: no one else has been that much of an idiot.

I’ve seen several players kick in the groin, and rip at helmets. None of that constituted game suspensions. Ever.

I think it's appropriate.  He stayed in the fight longer than he needed to.  He didn't start it.  He deserved none of it.  But he could have walked away and he didn't; therefore, I think a fine of this amount is the perfect level of discipline.

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Don't forget kicking him in the balls too.  I don't believe the racial slur accusation but the other things plus getting into Garrett's face after getting his helmet ripped off definitely deserved at least 1 game.

Why would that deserve anything other than a 15 yard personal foul and a fine? Players get into brawls all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He was fined for initiating the melee and trying to rip Garrett's helmet off, not for "struggling to get out from under a player."

I know that was what he was fined for; I just don't see that as what happened.  I don't see Rudolph as the initiator since he was tackled by Garret, held down by Garret, etc.  You see what you see, I'm entitled to the same....

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes, the NFL's punishments are inconsistent.  In that incident, the Steelers' linemen also got suspended.

You mean after Rudolph tried ripping Garrett's helmet off first?  And justifying that the kick was to his thigh (it was his groin, sorry) and not his balls doesn't justify it.  Garrett striking Rudolph with the padded part of the helmet didn't get him a break.

And who are you kidding?  If this had been Josh, you'd be the first one calling for him to be suspended.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Rudolph was an idiot for everything he did, especially going after Garrett.  Contrast that with what Josh did when Kiko cheap-shotted him.  That's how it should be.

Yeah, and for that Garrett got an indefinite suspension.  I'm saying Rudolph should have gotten a game suspension.  Not sure how you aren't getting this.

As usual, wrong on all the facts.

"First", long after the ball is out of Rudolph's hand, Garrett wraps him up.....he struggles, but is able to toss Rudolph to the ground after prolonged contact.  This is on the final play of a blowout game. 

Then he's on top of him and Rudolph tussles with him, pushing on his helmet.

Then, with Rudolph on his back, Garrett lifts him off the ground by his facemask, prompting Rudolph to end that maneuver with a foot to the "groin".

Garrett does, in fact, lift Rudolph by his facemask to a standing position, drags him around a bit.  Rudolph goes back to the ground and his helmet is pulled off.

Rudolph,, reasonably upset,  gets up and comes at Garrett, still holding the helmet, who was led away by Decastro. 

Garrett hits Rudolph in the head with helmet.

There's no way that Josh Allen, a fiery young man, at the end of a blowout loss, after getting two brutal sacks in a row, would not react in a similar fashion.  And as you know but can't admit for obvious reasons, I've been a solid Allen supporter...so your last claim is also wrong.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

As usual, wrong on all the facts.

"First", long after the ball is out of Rudolph's hand, Garrett wraps him up.....he struggles, but is able to toss Rudolph to the ground after prolonged contact.  This is on the final play of a blowout game. 

Then he's on top of him and Rudolph tussles with him, pushing on his helmet.

Then, with Rudolph on his back, Garrett lifts him off the ground by his facemask, prompting Rudolph to end that maneuver with a foot to the "groin".

Garrett does, in fact, lift Rudolph by his facemask to a standing position, drags him around a bit.  Rudolph goes back to the ground and his helmet is pulled off.

Rudolph,, reasonably upset,  gets up and comes at Garrett, still holding the helmet, who was led away by Decastro. 

Garrett hits Rudolph in the head with helmet.

There's no way that Josh Allen, a fiery young man, at the end of a blowout loss, after getting two brutal sacks in a row, would not react in a similar fashion.  And as you know but can't admit for obvious reasons, I've been a solid Allen supporter...so your last claim is also wrong.

LOL!  No, Rudolph didn't "push on [Garrett's] helmet."  He obviously (to most) tried to remove it.  And whatever his reasons, he still put his foot in Garrett's groin.  And then went after him.  Whether there was a racial slur when it was just the 2 of them on the ground and no one in earshot is unknown but could explain the extreme reaction by Garrett. 

Remove any of those and the incident doesn't happen, much less escalate.  Now it doesn't excuse Garrett from doing what he did and he should have been suspended (although his was way out of proportion to what Haynesworth and Gronk got, for far worse incidents), but it also shouldn't excuse Rudolph for his part.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL!  No, Rudolph didn't "push on [Garrett's] helmet."  He obviously (to most) tried to remove it.  And whatever his reasons, he still put his foot in Garrett's groin.  And then went after him.  Whether there was a racial slur when it was just the 2 of them on the ground and no one in earshot is unknown but could explain the extreme reaction by Garrett. 

Remove any of those and the incident doesn't happen, much less escalate.  Now it doesn't excuse Garrett from doing what he did and he should have been suspended (although his was way out of proportion to what Haynesworth and Gronk got, for far worse incidents), but it also shouldn't excuse Rudolph for his part.

there was no racial slur.  Plenty of witnesses nearby.  No one backing Garrett up there so it never happened.  It wouldn’t be material anyway.

Any QB in  that exact scenario would act similarly.  The foot in the groin was as he was being yanked upright from supine by his helmet doc. It was his best chance to have this miscreant let go of his head (“whatever his reasons”?? LOL).

You lose on all points.