Steelers QB Mason Rudolph fined $50K by NFL

stosh64

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Exactly. He was being a jagoff way before he received the helmet smash. Rudolph is the lesser transgressor here for sure but he's not without blame. Tearing off someone's helmet on purpose is not nothing.  

Illegal hands to the face and 10 yards. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You left out the part that by then time Rudolph's foot got to Garrett's thigh (not balls), Garrett was already lifting him off the ground by his facemask.

Rudolph had just been sacked twice in a row in a blowout game and then took a hard hot after a shovel pass by Garrett on the final play of the game.  

$50K fine is BS.  If that hit happened to Josh Allen at that point in a game like that and he reacted as Rudolph did, this board would be burning up if Allen got any fine at all--and rightly so.

I wouldn’t care about the fine but I’d be proud and fired up that Allen didn’t back down.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’ll look it up again but the rule book says nothing about trying to rip a helmet off. There is a penalty for actually pulling another players helmet off. 

Rudoffs attempt to pull Garret’s helmet off was the equivalent of a 10 year old trying to tackle a college RB.

Garret successfully ripped Rudoffs helmet off and used it as a weapon. Garret should be the only player that is suspended and fined. 

If im Rudoff I’m fighting this one until the bitter end.

I am with you. Had Garrett not ripped MR helmet off and hit him with it, MR wouldn’t have been fined For what he did, standing alone. I don’t think a “he started it” with a minor act warrants a fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  So would every poster who is saying otherwise about Rudolph in this thread.

I said it at the start, a QB who took that ***** lying down, and let himself get punked in a loss like that would be the worst kind of QB to have on your time. You want a QB who would react like Rudolph did if you knew anything about competition.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I said it at the start, a QB who took that ***** lying down, and let himself get punked in a loss like that would be the worst kind of QB to have on your time. You want a QB who would react like Rudolph did if you knew anything about competition.

Garrett’s a punk since he started.  He needs a timeout 

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Exactly. He was being a jagoff way before he received the helmet smash. Rudolph is the lesser transgressor here for sure but he's not without blame. Tearing off someone's helmet on purpose is not nothing.  

How is that tearing off someones helmet if its still attached to his head and he barely tugged it on the side. Miles on the other hand thats how you tear off a helmet

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

AJ Green choked out Ramsey from behind and punched him. Didn’t receive any kind of suspension after the game.

Yes, the NFL's punishments are inconsistent.  In that incident, the Steelers' linemen also got suspended.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You left out the part that by then time Rudolph's foot got to Garrett's thigh (not balls), Garrett was already lifting him off the ground by his facemask.

Rudolph had just been sacked twice in a row in a blowout game and then took a hard hot after a shovel pass by Garrett on the final play of the game.  

$50K fine is BS.  If that hit happened to Josh Allen at that point in a game like that and he reacted as Rudolph did, this board would be burning up if Allen got any fine at all--and rightly so.

You mean after Rudolph tried ripping Garrett's helmet off first?  And justifying that the kick was to his thigh (it was his groin, sorry) and not his balls doesn't justify it.  Garrett striking Rudolph with the padded part of the helmet didn't get him a break.

And who are you kidding?  If this had been Josh, you'd be the first one calling for him to be suspended.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, the NFL's punishments are inconsistent.  In that incident, the Steelers' linemen also got suspended.

You mean after Rudolph tried ripping Garrett's helmet off first?  And justifying that the kick was to his thigh (it was his groin, sorry) and not his balls doesn't justify it.  Garrett striking Rudolph with the padded part of the helmet didn't get him a break.

And who are you kidding?  If this had been Josh, you'd be the first one calling for him to be suspended.

They aren’t really inconsistent. Hitting a QB in the head with a helmet was just very bad. Not sure how you aren’t getting this.

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I wouldn’t care about the fine but I’d be proud and fired up that Allen didn’t back down.

Rudolph was an idiot for everything he did, especially going after Garrett.  Contrast that with what Josh did when Kiko cheap-shotted him.  That's how it should be.

20 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

They aren’t really inconsistent. Hitting a QB in the head with a helmet was just very bad. Not sure how you aren’t getting this.

Yeah, and for that Garrett got an indefinite suspension.  I'm saying Rudolph should have gotten a game suspension.  Not sure how you aren't getting this.

Edited by Doc

People see what they wanna see and interpret how they wanna interpret.

Garrett's play was within the rules. THIS IS A FACT. He had a goal to be the NFL sack leader this season and figured if they were gonna be dumb enough to still try to pass in that situation, then he would try for another sack. He did not intentionally take him down knowing the ball was out. THIS IS MY INTERPRETATION BASED ON VISUAL EVIDENCE. If you dont watch the replay and AT LEAST admit there was a decent chance Garrett  didnt know the ball was out and was looking to finish the play, you are biased for whatever reason. No flag was thrown.

Rudolph probably felt like Garrett knew the ball was out and still tackled him. Im sure Rudolph was frustrated after a full game of playing like hot garbage. He reacted by trying to rip off the helmet of one of the strongest men in the NFL. Not very smart. Garret returns the favro but shows him that he isnt gonna fail like Rudolph did. He is gonna make sure he gets the helmet off. That's all Garrett wanted to do. You know how I know? Cause after the helmet was off you can see Garrett stopped his pursuit and was no longer attempting to get at Rudolph. After that we all know what happened. Mason ran at Myles cause he was just rag dolled by his face mask and wasnt about to go out like that, plus his teammates were there to make sure he didnt get mangled. Little did he know Garrett would do the unthinkable.

FACT: What Garret did that some claim "started" the fight was a football play and within the rules. No whistle was blown nor was a flag thrown after the take down.

FACT: How Mason reacted WAS NOT a football play or within the rules so this, in fact, was the first action to start all of the rule violations to follow. Its a FACT Rudolph started the fight.

FACT: Mason Rudolph charged at Myles after things seemed to be over. Myles successful ripped his helmet off and was being restrained by two 300 pound guys. He reengaged with Garrett and by definition, factually instigated the confrontation to continue.

OPINION: What Garrett did by hitting him with the helmet was one of the worst actions on a football fight Ive ever seen. I personally think what Gronk did to Tre White is a close second but that wasnt during a fight. (the fact that it didnt turn into a fight will forever piss me off). I think "indefinite" was excessive but he deserved 6 games for sure. I believe the indefinite part was just for optics reason. IMO there is a 0% chance, assuming Garrett stays clean until his reinstatement request, that he isnt reinstated during the offseason. 

CONCLUSION. Ruldolph SHOULD NOT have been suspended and Im glad he wasnt. His actions by themselves were not suspendable actions. Just because Garrett decided to react the way he did DOES NOT mean Rudolph should now be punished differently. If I cut somebody off in traffic and they get road rage and shoot at my car, I shouldnt have to spend the night in jail for an improper lane change. Charge them with attempted murder and give me my fine so I can be on my way. I feel like all punishments were perfect after appeal (assuming Garret does only 6 games which is in fact the longest suspension in league history for a single on the field incident). Even the 1 gamer was justified because Ogunjobi instigated a situation that was clearly over. That push could have sparked a large brawl so you cant treat it as if it was some normal push down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Rudolph was an idiot for everything he did, especially going after Garrett.  Contrast that with what Josh did when Kiko cheap-shotted him.  That's how it should be.

Yeah, and for that Garrett got an indefinite suspension.  I'm saying Rudolph should have gotten a game suspension.  Not sure how you aren't getting this.

Please show me another QB who got in a scrum with a defender who has received a game suspension in the NFL. 

Thanks for playing.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Please show me another QB who got in a scrum with a defender who has received a game suspension in the NFL. 

Thanks for playing.

I've also never seen a QB try to rip a defender's helmet off, kick him in the balls and then go after him while his teammates are restraining him.  Which is why a QB has never been suspended before: no one else has been that much of an idiot.

8 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I disagree with that narrative.  The throw was made with Garrett within a step.  He was so close, within inches actually,  that Rudolph could only make a push of a throw.  There is no way that a defender in that position can know if the ball was out unless he can see out his ear hole.  He did wrap and then take him down late with a gator roll but, again, the defender could not know if the ball was actually delivered.   That's the way to take a QB down without landing on him with his full weight which would be a penalty.  Garrett hits the ground first and Rudolph lands on top of him and then is rolled to the side.  They are then face to face.  Rudolph has played an awful game, just gotten rag dolled to the ground and takes exception to it and for some reason attempts to remove Garrett's helmet.  Mayhem results.

I'll bet the Bills defenders have problems with Rudolph too.  He seems like that kind of player.

Except everybody that knows Rudolph vouches for him being a high character guy... Garrett obviously is a phony POS