Question for the Liberals/Progressives on the Forum

Foxx

On 10/19/2019 at 3:21 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Not remotely a problem for me.

Along with much of my family being Trump supporters, I watch football every Sunday morning at a bar here in Hawaii with another diehard Bills fan who's also an avid Trump guy. Wife and I have gotten together multiple times with him and his wife. When the Bills made it in the playoffs due to the Tyler Boyd TD, he and I screamed and ran around the bar like lunatics... jumping and hugging.

I don't have a problem with real people I know who voted for Trump and still like him. I have issues with Internet message board Trump supporters who hide behind their computers, puff out their chests and pretend they know everything. And even those guys that I know are Bills fans I can easily separate and compartmentalize politics from sports.

For me , there are Trump supporters and then there are Trump supporters:   A) There are those who voted for Trump and continue to support his every utterance and obtuse plan of action.  B) There are Trump supporters who may, or may not, have voted for him, but stand behind him, way way behind him.  These are the people, probably the majority of Trump supporters, who "support" him because he isn't [fill in the blank] in the Democratic Party, e.g., N. Pelosi, SJ Lee, M. Waters, E. Warren, H. Clinton, etc.  These supporters  don't wear MAGA hats, nor wave the Trump flag, they just want to escape the crazies on the left, e.g., M. Moore, P. Buttieg, etc.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look Westie... I like you... Don't project onto to others.  I don't get mad at anything life throws at me.  I wish you the best... Find your way.

I've voted Democrat my whole life, except for this past election. I couldn't vote for Hillary after doing a bunch of research on her and her past. I'm happy so far with the job he's doing despite the witch hunt. 

This is definitely not the democratic party that I supported all my life. I don't think I'll vote for a Democrat again as long as the current "leaders" of the party are still in charge.

33 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I've voted Democrat my whole life, except for this past election. I couldn't vote for Hillary after doing a bunch of research on her and her past. I'm happy so far with the job he's doing despite the witch hunt. 

This is definitely not the democratic party that I supported all my life. I don't think I'll vote for a Democrat again as long as the current "leaders" of the party are still in charge.

If you are voting because of personality you have no philosophical compass. I don't need a president to sit down and have a beer with me. I need a president to protect my beer and not give it away with a smile and pretty words.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

If you are voting because of personality you have no philosophical compass. I don't need a president to sit down and have a beer with me. I need a president to protect my beer and not give it away with a smile and pretty words.

Where did I say i was voting on personality? Did I vote for Obama? Yep, twice as a matter of fact. Do I regret that decision? Yep, but I had no idea how corrupt he was. 

I don't appreciate your "philosophical compass" accusations. If you had read my post you would have known why I switched parties. It was the corruption in the party that made me leave.  My compass is just fine thank you.

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

...don't underestimate the fickle nature of the electorate bud......I'd bet personality is a significant factor....as is gender.....there is a segment hell bent on seeing a female President for NO other reason......HINT: the pant suit....CURRENT HINT: Warren.......BIGGER HINT: recent news articles about Michelle being THE candidate.....factoid from my late mother's side of the family, all STAUNCH Dems having never voted a split ticket or for ANY Republican which would be treasonous heresy and CNN as their SOLE news (COUGH) source.....one of her sister's faced a potential life altering conundrum......agonized over whether when Obama was Prez candidate, if she could vote for a "black man".....Dem loyalty won out and she pulled the lever...I CANNOT make this stuff up.....try this one on: a heated argument ensued with a cousin who said, "Monica relaxing (COUGH) Bill probably helped him do a better job as President"......I can't make this crap up nor have I attended a family function in 15+ years.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

To me, that is appears highly unusual.

Many (most) people start to move to more "conservative" leanings as they age. Many people "evolve". Whether that is maturity, life experience, or whatever, few have the same political (or life) views at 50 or 60 as they do at 20 or 30.

I know there are stats and charts to "support" that, but I am sitting in a hotel room right now so will try and remember to dig some up later this week as I cannot at the moment.

To me, it's fallacious because someone like Hillary is set in her ways...which way is "pandering," which causes her political beliefs to change with the wind.  

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

Where did I say i was voting on personality? Did I vote for Obama? Yep, twice as a matter of fact. Do I regret that decision? Yep, but I had no idea how corrupt he was. 

I don't appreciate your "philosophical compass" accusations. If you had read my post you would have known why I switched parties. It was the corruption in the party that made me leave.  My compass is just fine thank you.

That post was not directed at you as much as it was directed at voters in general who have politicians give them tingles down their legs.  Lighten up, if I was attacking you personally, you'd know it.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

To me, that is appears highly unusual.

Many (most) people start to move to more "conservative" leanings as they age. Many people "evolve". Whether that is maturity, life experience, or whatever, few have the same political (or life) views at 50 or 60 as they do at 20 or 30.

I know there are stats and charts to "support" that, but I am sitting in a hotel room right now so will try and remember to dig some up later this week as I cannot at the moment.

Fear.

It's because people grow old and scared.  Death approaches... They aren't young,  infallible.  They grow conservative.

Conservative = safe.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fear.

It's because people grow old and scared.  Death approaches... They aren't young,  infallible.  They grow conservative.

Conservative = safe.

Yeah, conservatism is a death cult.  :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You’ve outdone yourself with this post. Bravo.  

Thanks...Usually when I am averse to change it's because I am scared of something, long for the old days.  People grow old and more conservative. They cling to traditional values because, wait for it... They are old.  Traditional values are old.  It's straight from the definition of conservative:

"a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics."

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks...Usually when I am averse to change it's because I am scared of something, long for the old days.  People grow old and more conservative. They cling to traditional values because, wait for it... They are old.  Traditional values are old.  It's straight from the definition of conservative:

"a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics."

I used to be a leftist but changed over the years to lean conservative/libertarian. How do you explain that aversion to change under circumstances such as those?

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What age do you consider old?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

What age do you consider old?

You... Me.

The old saying:

"Don't trust anyone over 30."

In 30 more, you'll probably be dead:

probability_of_65_year_old_living_to_a_g

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

I used to be a leftist but changed over the years to lean conservative/libertarian. How do you explain that aversion to change under circumstances such as those?

You didn't change.  Old leftists are pretty conservative. The left changed.

Boy... I must be really scaring the conservatives.  Please, it's okay.  Get a good night's sleep.

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You... Me.

The old saying:

"Don't trust anyone over 30."

In 30 more, you'll probably be dead:

probability_of_65_year_old_living_to_a_g

You didn't change.  Old leftists are pretty conservative. The left changed.

Boy... I must be really scaring the conservatives.  Please, it's okay.  Get a good night's sleep.

You don't even scare the asian carp, fish-boy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You don't even scare the asian carp, fish-boy.

Hey Waldo... Of course I don't.  My job is to help them through.  What point have you been missing all these years?

/smh That you still don't get the concept.  Sorry it isn't complicated like you seem to make it out to be.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey Waldo... Of course I don't.  My job is to help them through.  What point have you been missing all these years?

/smh That you still don't get the concept.  Sorry it isn't complicated like you seem to make it out to be.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be scared of you.