MNF: Detroit at Green Bay

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, then whatever thing that can be sensed in 3D space. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing that is that accurate today. A couple feet, yes. But, that doesn't help with measuring first downs by inches. As an example, NASCAR uses this to determine car position at a caution. Sensors are buried in the track at intervals and each car carries a unique identifier. The NFL could do this same thing, but again, it is not accurate enough to eliminate the issues associated with being inches short of a goal line or first down.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

Unfortunately, there's nothing that is that accurate today. A couple feet, yes. But, that doesn't help with measuring first downs by inches. As an example, NASCAR uses this to determine car position at a caution. Sensors are buried in the track at intervals and each car carries a unique identifier. The NFL could do this same thing, but again, it is not accurate enough to eliminate the issues associated with being inches short of a goal line or first down.

Magnetic fibers in the ball and sensors at the goal line/attached to the sticks would at least eliminate that... 

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Completely different situation with NASCAR. The distance between transponders is such that there is no chance that more than one transponder will respond at any given time. Knowing the amount of time it takes for the car to go between 2 transponders would allow you to calculate the average speed and therefore position. The error would be caused because the car may be accelerating/de-accelerating between sensors.  

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Magnetic fibers in the ball and sensors at the goal line/attached to the sticks would at least eliminate that... 

Not sure how you could possibly make that work. 

Just a note for those who follow these things: I'm in weekly pick-em league. Nothing major. $150 winner each week. 

I go into last night's game tied with two people with 11 wins. One has Lions +4 1/2 and ov/un 43. The other has GB -4 1/2 and ov/un 45. I had GB - 4 1/2 and ov/un 48.

Now pretend you're me with more hair; 35 seconds left. GB is first and goal. The RB goes up the middle. Detroit lets him score to give themselves another possession! Final score: GB 27 - Lions 23. 

But no. The RB is smart and falls down at the one to let the clock run.

This is why, after years of betting on football, the total extent of my wagers now is this pick'em league. If I had real money on that parlay, I'd have gone postal.

Edited by IDBillzFan

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They could use technology to get better outcomes. RFID chips in balls would absolutely confirm ball placement and whether a ball crosses the goaline. The NFL steals ideas from other leagues eventually so expect an AAF-style Sky Judge in a few years.

That's an excellent idea. Soccer uses it so why haven't the brainiacs at the NFL figured it out?

39 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

That's an excellent idea. Soccer uses it so why haven't the brainiacs at the NFL figured it out?

Mostly because it wouldn't work for precise ball placement. The NFL does in fact use RFID combined with other technologies. The players as well as the balls all have RFID tags.They have been doing this since the 2017 season.

Edited by RememberTheRockpile